Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of local, state, federal law enforcement/security agencies that use Taurus firearms? I know an officer in Indiana who used a Taurus compact for backup/off duty carry. In the Florida county I live in, the Sheriff's dept. officers all carry Glocks (40 cal). Anyone know of entire departments, etc. using Taurus? Just curious. I know the 24/7 and new 800 series are geared for duty carry.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
You know I tend to believe (no proof) that the major players for departmental guns, really go all out with their cost, repair, replace policy's to get the business. Going to far as to offer assistance, with training armorers, and providing repair parts. You need a department geared to assist those major purchasers to get your weapons accepted by the gun boards, or policital wings of goverment. I think that Taurus does not have that much involved in that department, even with their M&P site.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Robby said:
I think that Taurus does not have that much involved in that department, even with their M&P site.
From what i have seen of Taurus customer service i tend to believe they have nothing in that area at all for the big guys and darn little of it for the average shooter. From what i have read in different places and experienced personally with Taurus customer service i would rate them as poor, and that isn't going to sell guns to police or military.

It's not that they don't make a decent product because actually they make some fine guns, but lack of service, long drawn out repairs and parts shortages just won't get them into the big leagues.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
There is a major Taurus Dealer located in Tampa they have loads of Taurus Guns on hand and cops do frequent the dealer they are call shoot straight guns they have all the major brands there are 2 here locally one in apopka and the other in casselberry,But Apopka has the bigger selection. they usually have the biggest section at the Gun shows especially the one in Orlando they have the biggest selection of all brands but i will say you will see alot of Taurus guns there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
orlandodriver said:
where in south west fl you at?
Lee County. An officer I know says that they all use the same firearm (Glock / 40 cal) so everyone in the department is familiar with each other's weapon. That way if they have to use it, or share ammo, it's not a problem.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I can't find a report of any large department issuing Taurus guns. However, many smaller departments in rural areas require that the officer purchase his/her own gun off of a department approved list of guns, and caliber (s). Several allow Taurus products. There are also quite a few departments that allow off-duty carry, but only supply the issue weapon. Again, they have a list of approved off-duty guns, and many require that the officer qualify with them.

Several large departments still allow revolvers, and .380 ACP handguns as off-duty pieces. Some departments issue .380 ACP semi-autos to senior ranks.

·
Administrator
18,203 Posts
On the International Level,

Recently, Philippine police placed an order for 5,000 Taurus pistols to replace their aging Beretta 92 pistols after a rigorous testing. RK Campbell - Gunblast
Here is the reference link for the Phillipine Police adoption of the Taurus 24/7.
http://www.gunblast.com/RKCampbell-Taurus247.htm

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
The other shortcoming is a lack of a rigorous police or military test program, although the Philippine's test program is a start. Some years ago the Ohio State Patrol tested nineteen pistol types, ten of each example, for one hundred ninety pistols to the tune of two hundred twenty eight thousand rounds of ammunition. Even mid size agencies test pistols to ten thousand rounds or more, and most smaller agencies rely upon the big guys' test program and buy in on very reasonable 'state contract' prices. In the light of such tests a single example nearing two thousand rounds is interesting but not earth shaking. So, it is very much wait and see. At this point I am enthusiastic concerning the 24/7 and added to my personal battery. The pistol looks good and I am certain rank and file and bean counters alike will take notice.

Here is a reasonable explaination of why Taurus is not in many major departments. I felt that it was not the guns, but the requirements for testing, price,and such for large purchases. The writer is saying the same thing. Maybe Taurus is not there yet, maybe they are, but cannot compete with the other big makers who have been in the departmental tests for years and years.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
American police agencies have always required that a company bidding have an American site. Taurus only recently moved in that direction. Then, you have to overcome the prejudice inherent in an agency's history. If they've been using Glock, Glock will allow a trade-in of their old arms, and the resulting price is pretty close to actual cost. Same with S&W, HK, Sig, and others.

The large police departments also lot contracts for thousands of pistols, with the clause that allows them to increase the order. That's economy of scale at work in the resulting price. These contracts require spare parts, magazines, and armorer training. A new company to this field has a LOT to overcome. As to how many rounds are required, that's a mis-leading figure. 190 pistols, firing 228,000 rounds is an average of 1200 rounds per pistol. Far less than the two thousand rounds in question in the article. Simple math determines that.

Brazilian PDs used Taurus for decades, until IMBEL, the government factory, managed to convince the powers that be that they should be the primary supplier. Now, Taurus is producing the PT1911, a .45 ACP rendering of the 9mm Brazilian military handgun. We'll see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts