Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sheldon's post got me to thinking about how people's trust in guns could be broken easily when something goes wrong. I have decided to share with you all my first experience buying a pistol. I picked up a 1911 used about ten years ago at a gun show for what I thought was a good deal. Well when I took it to the range it jammed, A LOT. So I sent it off to the gunsmith to get it fixed. 50 bucks later and it didn't jam as much. So I checked the feed ramp, polished it. Fed better, but still jammed. Got good mags, shot good for awhile, but the sear broke. Then the grips wore out, and then when I changed the grips I got bit by the hammer, so after that I bought a beavertail safety and a combat hammer. Then it shot good, for a couple months, then I noticed the barrel had rust and ptting. Okay so I got a new barrel. Well it started jamming again because the link pin and the barrel don't fit right, and the feed ramp needed polishing. Ten years later and countless man hours and dollars later it's still a work in progress, and I have wondered if it's more trouble than it's worth. When it is in top form it's a joy to shoot and it's easy to conceal. My point is you have to work with your weapon, and if something small goes wrong you shouldn't worry so much if its and easy fix. I feel your pain, I like stuff to work right the first time, but you should prepare yourself when your weapon turns into a single shot or a 600 dollar rock, because equipment will break at absolutely the worst time. I have carried this particular 1911 knowing that a part could break off and on since I have owned it. I have only just recently switched to a wheelgun as my concealled carry, but deep down I know that too could fail. You must look at every self defense situation as a gamble, because you might just get a click if you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Have you considered purchasing another 1911, one of high quality and backed by a warranty? What brand is yours? What kind of ammo?

A firearm is a machine, and any machine can break. That's why I carry two on duty.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
switched to a wheelgun as my concealled carry, but deep down I know that too could fail. You must look at every self defense situation as a gamble, because you might just get a click if you pull the trigger.
Man.. that same thought runs through my head too...
Pretty good words..Ace

Nice post ;)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 1911 I bought many years ago was of a company that went out of buisiness way before I could ever own one. Since I like to tinker I have kept it around for just that purpose. For a time it was all I owned and that was my primary carry piece, but as I grew older I eventually aquired more guns and learned a great leason from my first handgun purchase. I keep it right now as a constant lesson: Always know what you are buying before you buy it. I look at any gun I intend to buy especially if it's second or third hand. Believe me, even though I cursed it at the time getting burned by that gun buy was the best thing that happened to me, and even though I will never be able to sell it for what I put into it, the knowledge I gained from it was priceless. And it's still fun to take to the range once in awhile.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
The 1911 can be a finicky beast, but it need not be. Haven't met one that I could not fix and yours probably can be sorted out too, by you!

Give this page a gander:
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/reliability_secrets.htm

Pay particular attention to the Extractor Mods! Over 80% of reliability problems can be extractor related!

Definitely have a barrel that properly fits your slide within reason, else the Lugs will get hammered over time!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah I have been there and done that. I have done just about everything to this gun except replace the slide and frame. A lot of the tweaking I've done was purely cosmetic. The major functioning problems have been deat with, except for the barrel replacement. Plus I have a buddy that does custom work on 1911's which charges reasonable. So for me the pistol now is just a pleasant hobby. I may get another 1911 if the mood suits me, but knowing what I know now I will look a lot more carefully before I buy. One of the redeeming qualities of the 1911 is that you can get more parts for it than any other pistol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts