Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new PT 809 to the range the other day was having problems with it ejecting rounds directly in my face. And no i wasn't holding my face right over it. It's only throwing the rounds at most two feet from me, and thats when it doesn't throw it into my face. Anyone else ever experience something like this? i ran through a box of the cheap monarch 115gr. and a box of remington 115gr. Thanks!

·
Registered
253 Posts
How was ur accuracy? I ask because you could be jerking or pulling the gun while firing. Just a thought.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my accuracy was pretty good. still learning the gun, but my groupings were inside of 3 or 4 inches at 25 or 30 yards.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Welcome to our forum! I'm new too but I really like it here.

Don't know if that's "normal" but my PT809 ejects at my forehead and the bridge of my spectacles on occasion. The ejection pattern seems somewhat random otherwise, regardless of what ammo I feed it. I just live with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pretty much the same thing here. it doesn't do it all the time, but does quite annoying. Is yours fairly new? i was wondering if it could be the recoil spring not worn in or if it needs a lighter spring to let the slide really sling back. i'd say mine does it atleast a third of the time. i've noticed if im taking my time aiming at the target it does it more rather than when i pop them off quickly it doesn't seem to do it as badly.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
When my PT145 was new it was pretty bad about pitching the odd piece of hot brass into my forehead. I'd get several on every range trip. It rarely happens now (after 1500 rounds), but every once in a while it will. I usually fire 150 rounds or so on a range trip, and I'd guess it does it now maybe once every other trip. Get yourself a paintball mask and keep breakin' her in. :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
I bought mine in Dec 2011, but really started shooting it this month. I've shot about 800 rounds through it so far. Reading online, I'm guessing if the recoil spring is too weak, it allows the slide to travel backward too quickly, and it is ejected at too high a speed. But that comment was not specific to the PT809. Maybe the wide ejection port gives the ejecting round too much free play?

·
Registered
262 Posts
My pt92 does the same thing, not often but it will wake you up when it does. I am not sure what causes it, but I have noticed if I hold it real tight it doesn't seam to do it as much.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My 809 had a tendency to throw brass at my forehead on occassion when I first got it. It either corrected itself as it got broken in or because I adjusted my grip. My money is on adjusting to a more stable grip since my accuracy improved substantially at about the same time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts