Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gun is shooting 5'' left at 10 yards most likely due to the front sight being a good bit to the right. I have a 1mm hex wrench that fits. However, even after heating the sight with a blow dryer, I cannot get the screw loose. I'm afraid I'll strip it if I put too much pressure on it. Any ideas? I really don't want to send it back to Taurus just for this.

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
My gun is shooting 5'' left at 10 yards most likely due to the front sight being a good bit to the right. I have a 1mm hex wrench that fits. However, even after heating the sight with a blow dryer, I cannot get the screw loose. I'm afraid I'll strip it if I put too much pressure on it. Any ideas? I really don't want to send it back to Taurus just for this.
you might want to recheck your wrench!
believe the front sight screw is 1.5 MM and the rear is 2.0.
if it will not come out with the correct size wrench after heating the front sight a bit then I know of no other means to remove it , other than give it a real good twist in the correct direction and hope.
you could always move the rear sight!
if the off set sights don't bother you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have tried 1.5mm wrenches from two different sets and the only one that fits is a .050/1.27mm wrench. I'll try heating it for longer and give it another try. Also, I can get the set screw out of the rear sights no problem, but they are set very well with the loctite. I didn't want to move them unless it was a last resort.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got my 24/7 OSS .45 and it too needs front sight alignment, I have several set of torx and hex tools but my smallest hex is 1.5mm and she don't fit! Gotta get a set of micro metric hex tools

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a quick update: I wrapped the gun well in several zip lock bags to prevent it getting wet, placed it in some room tempterature water, put it on the oven and slowly heated it to near boiling. After a few minutes, I took it out and tried to get the screw out; no dice. Looks like this gun will be taking a trip to Flordia in the near future.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
After a few minutes, I took it out and tried to get the screw out; no dice.
That is weird, sounds like somebody used lock-tight on the front sight?

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
A local gunsmith should charge about $10 - I wouldn't send to FL.
well quite honestly if it was mine then i would drill the screw out, remove the sight, have it retapped to a easier size to find, Like a torx head and then put them back on!
the screw threads are in the sight not the slide so no harm to the gun.
but i hesitate saying that to someone about their gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts