Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new (to me) PT140 out today to shoot for the first time. I loved how the gun felt! Only problem I noticed is that the rear sight isn't tight. It moves back and forth a little. I tried tightening it with the allen wrench that came with the pistol, and with my own wrenches. wouldn't work. When I try and turn the other way to loosen the nut, the wrench just "clicks" and spins through the nut. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about it. I've been told to go buy an ez extractor to remove the nut. Can I find a replacement? I really don't have the cash to buy new sights right now. What's everyone's opinion?

Thanks in advance guys/gals

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
How old is your gun, I know you probably do not want to to do this but sending it on vacation to Taurus in Miami is a cheaper option. They can correct or replace the sights for you. If it is less than a year old then you can ask them to cover the shipping and they probably will.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Run your serial number through the Taurus website, at the bottom click on find my model. It will tell you the production year.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
The PT140 Millenium Pro uses a 2mm Allen wrench for the rear sight, and a 1.5mm wrench for the front sight. If you have good quality hex wrenches, they will do just fine.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
It does require quality wrenches deeply set into the screw. If the wrench slips it's either too small or too shallow. The trouble will continue until someone with the right wrench gets after it. If you don't want to take any chances talk to Taurus or a local smith.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. It's a 2010 model. So it's not too old. :)

Provided I can get the sights off the gun. Any reccomendations for replacement sights?

·
Registered
36,598 Posts
I took my new (to me) PT140 out today to shoot for the first time. I loved how the gun felt! Only problem I noticed is that the rear sight isn't tight. It moves back and forth a little. I tried tightening it with the allen wrench that came with the pistol, and with my own wrenches. wouldn't work. When I try and turn the other way to loosen the nut, the wrench just "clicks" and spins through the nut. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about it. I've been told to go buy an ez extractor to remove the nut. Can I find a replacement? I really don't have the cash to buy new sights right now. What's everyone's opinion?
Thanks in advance guys/gals
Sounds like the original owner buggered up the hex screw by eihter using the wrong sized wrench , a cheap wrench or just let it slip out of the socket a few times.
not much you can do with a hex screw once its like that, try to extract it and order a new screw from Taurus would be my suggestion, might as well see if they have some extra hex wrenches as well, after all the shipping is going to cost a lot more than a screw.
I know how i would try to get it out but don't want to be responsible for you ruining the sight!
if its loose enough to get the sight of fthen it would be a lot easier to get out.

·
Registered
36,598 Posts
Thanks guys. It's a 2010 model. So it's not too old. :)

Provided I can get the sights off the gun. Any reccomendations for replacement sights?
whats wrong with the sights thats on it??
I assume that it has a set of Novak three dot sights?
or Hienie straight eights?
those are fairly expensive sight sets.

·
Super Moderator
27,042 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Provided I can get the sights off the gun. Any recommendations for replacement sights?
I have been putting the Williams Adjustable Firesights #70969 on the MilPro series. I found the best prices on Brownell's.

One of the PT Mil Pros had a buggered sight screw that someone else had tried to remove with an incorrect Allen wrench; with only a little effort I used a small TORX screwdriver that was almost a perfect but tight fit, and removed the damaged screw.

It may be worth your effort to get a good quality 2mm Allen and 1.5mm Allen and try it again.

·
Registered
36,598 Posts

·
Registered
36,598 Posts
I would bet that the majority of problems like this is from new owners that get the hex wrench out of the pack that comes with the gun and try to MAKE it work on the rear sight, eventually rounding out the shoulders of the hex screw!
For the life of me I can not figure out after all these years that taurus has not made both the front sight and rear sight screw heads the same size!
I understand thae some engineer with his pocket protector and clculator figures that a rear sight being bigger than a front sight needs a larger screw, OK I understand that but after all these years why not just put the large screw in the front sight as well and include the larger hex wrench with the gun???
POOOOOOO! common sense , no need for that!!!

·
Super Moderator
27,042 Posts
Whats Big Skiff's quote! : "Lets not overthink common sense"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts