Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used one made in 2010 per Taurus. The revolver is not locking the cylinder all the time. From the parts diagram I am thinking its a fouled/weak cylinder/stop plunger from looking at the diagam. I say this because when it does not lock I can look below the cylinder and see the stop is not all the way up. This happens about 50% of the time. I'd like any suggestions before I take the gun apart.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sounds like it or a burr on the lock slot.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
"I say this because when it does not lock I can look below the cylinder and see the stop is not all the way up. This happens about 50% of the time." This sounds like cylinder roll due to a badly machined cylinder stop, or a faulty trigger mechanism.

The cylinder stop is that little notch at the bottom of the frame that locks into the cylinder and stops it from rotating at each cylinder bore hole(seems like you figured that out). You can order a new cylinder stop, they are approved for sale to the public. I have to replace them often on my Taurus revolvers manufactured after 10/01/10. Unfortunately it has been my experience lately that the cylinder stops are not very well machined from the factory. When I replace one I usually order two since when I compare them they are usually all different in some respect: width, height, burrs, or sloppy molding. Sometimes I have to file them down a little, sometimes the replacements don't work. Get two so you have a spare in case the one you order to replace the bad one is bad. If the cylinder still roles with a new stop, you may require a new trigger assembly and sometimes this is an indication that the frame is out of spec since the trigger mechanism including the cylinder stop is not mounted in the frame correctly so it cannot reach through the frame high enough to engage the cylinder. Do not shoot this firearm in this state, it could misfire. You may just want to send it in. Cylinder roll is not good!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Have you tried to take the sideplate off and observe the action in motion? This will provide you with a lot more insight about what may be happening with the lock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope I am doing this the right way. The interface is a little different than what I am used to.

I have sat here for the last hour dry firing the weapon. 100% lockup in double action. Single action is 50% or less. Using my Mdl .29 as a guide it's just as tight. Single action is hit or miss.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
What you are describing is indicative of timing issues and could be multiple things going on like: hand to to ratchet timing where the cylinder stop is not consistently locking into place before the hammer fully cocks. In any case, your revolver should lock up (cylinder stop engages notch) right before the hammer is at full cock (single action) or before the hammer falls (double action). When I try this in S/A or D/A on my M605 I can visually see the cylinder stop slide out of the notch of the chamber as I begin to cock the hammer and immediately has tension where it slides along the cylinder until the next notch presents itself for it too pop in right before the hammer cocks (in S/A) locking the cylinder. It should pop into that notch prior to the hammer falling in D/A. If you see the cylinder stop slide out of the notch as you begin to cock the hammer or pull the trigger with adequate tension to slide along the smooth part of the cylinder(where the cylinder ring has developed) and then not popping into the next notch prior to the trigger cocking in S/A or the hammer falling in D/A you more than likely have hand to ratchet timing issues. If the cylinder stop is not constantly making contact under tension with the surface of the cylinder from one notch to the next you may have other trigger issues. Either way this is clearly a job for the pros. I would call Taurus CS and see if you qualify for free shipping (within a year of purchase). If not, paying for shipping one way may be considered a flat fee for gun smithing since they will ship it back to you for free and it covers any fix including replacing the firearm.

Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts