Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new 2 tone pt740 on 3-18-15 took it to the range shot 200 rounds(no problems) can home to clean it and noticed the pin right behind the the take down levers was sticking out about a 1/4 inch. Tapped it back in and noticed the polymer frame was cracked from the pin all the way up, So I called Taurus, on hold for 1 hour and 3 minutes ,they did send me a pre-paid shipping label, and said it will take about 6 weeks to fix. So now I think they will have to give me a new gun ,I think the serial number is in the polymer. If so now I will have an FFL fee and the background charge all over again.I really did liked shooting it .

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
The actual serial number should be located on the inner metal frame inside the poly frame. they can/could simply replace the outer poly shell.
what they will actually do I have no idea.
Good luck with the process.

Reactions: 55schultz

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be Great I would like to keep the that one because I polished the slide. It looked like the serial number was set in the polymer frame, But now the guns not here in front of me I can't be sure. Thanx 4 your input

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
The Slim's SN is embedded in polymer frame between muzzle and trigger guard. It does appear it can be removed as inside frame there are two holes that appear have molded pins that hold it in place.

This is one of the rare times I've heard of a 740 problem of any nature. Been plenty with the 709, but few with 740. Mine is still trucking and has been my EDC for the past several months. I used to swap out every month or so to 709 or one of my Mil Pro's, but since getting my hands on several of the 740 8rd. extended magazines, I really like the feel of the 740 and it's pushed all others aside.

I'm guessing Taurus will replace the poly frame with one with no serial number or will be able to reuse your original label. If they replace the 740 and you have to use an FFL I'd raise the devil with Taurus to pay or give you store credit or a spare mag (if they ever have any again - LOL)

·
22,317 Posts
So Wino, the extended 740 magazines have been working well for you? They seem pretty regularly available, if a bit pricey.

The serial number on the 740 is in a metal plate inset into the dust cover. The only gun I've ever owned that had a serial number actually in the plastic is my TCP. And I'm not even 100% sure that's not a metal inset that just matches the plastic very well. Hope they get you sorted out quickly! They are achieving lots of 2 week turnarounds lately, but the pistols that need to be replaced are often reported to take longer. Yes, I know that sounds crazy.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
So Wino, the extended 740 magazines have been working well for you? They seem pretty regularly available, if a bit pricey......................
No more pricey than the standard 6 rd. (actually paid less for a couple), but seems they went fast once they were known to exist.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
So Wino, the extended 740 magazines have been working well for you? They seem pretty regularly available, if a bit pricey.

The serial number on the 740 is in a metal plate inset into the dust cover. The only gun I've ever owned that had a serial number actually in the plastic is my TCP. And I'm not even 100% sure that's not a metal inset that just matches the plastic very well. Hope they get you sorted out quickly! They are achieving lots of 2 week turnarounds lately, but the pistols that need to be replaced are often reported to take longer. Yes, I know that sounds crazy.
Most poly pistols are this way that I see!
don't know but would imagine the reason is that IF they need to replace the poly frame they can simply make and add a new metal plate with the original serial number on it?
the only reason as I understand it for having a serial number on the poly frame Is for quick identification and paperwork needed on the firearm(gunsmith, manufacture, gun shop selling the weapon).
the legal serial number should be on the inner metal frame of the weapon I believe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Thanx guys for all the positive reply's they have replaced 2 other guns for me A pt745( 10 weeks)only because I would not take a 24/7 instead,so they had to find one. Mag kept falling out sent it back 3 times. the polymer frame was to big for the mags. and a pt738(4 weeks) the chassis cracked

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, My 740 was delivered at 1;45pm Friday the 20th website does not show anything, But I just got an e-mail saying they received my firearm on Monday the 23rd and it will take about 6 weeks for the repair I hope it don't take that long

·
Registered
922 Posts
Had a similar issue with a 740 that I used to own. One of the pins in the back of the pistol by the rear tang was always coming out during shooting. There was no crack though, and a little super glue fixed mine thankfully.

Good luck with yours and keep us posted. I believe the stout recoil of the 40sw in this small platform can cause this issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got done with live chat they have had my gun for 3 weeks and 4 days this is the response I got from Taurus..... at this time your firearm is going through the review board there is no estimated time that I can provide you . Since it through the review board it means we are inspecting the firearm to see if its repairable or unrepairable. This is all the updated information I have for you at this time...... really disappointed in this ,I bought new had it for 3 days and the polymer frame cracked horrible customer sevice

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O.K they are going to replace the gun, It took them 4 weeks to decide that . this is what she wrote in the chat...please allow 24-48 business hours to process. Once the process is down please allow 7-15 business days if the firearm is not on back-order. Now I have to pay for another gun transfer and background check. Now it a replacement not a repair and they will not notify me when it ships. I'm O.K. with it I just don't understand why it takes Sooooo long.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just found out that my replacement gun is on back order and they cant give me a date to ship it. this is by far the worst experience with Taurus so far. Every gun shop in the city has them in stock and Taurus has none. I have 13 Taurus handguns and probably will not buy another , when they break ,I will send them to get fixed when they come back I will sell them.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
O.K they are going to replace the gun, It took them 4 weeks to decide that . this is what she wrote in the chat...please allow 24-48 business hours to process. Once the process is down please allow 7-15 business days if the firearm is not on back-order. Now I have to pay for another gun transfer and background check. Now it a replacement not a repair and they will not notify me when it ships. I'm O.K. with it I just don't understand why it takes Sooooo long.
I would tell them that you paying the transfer fee is not acceptable. You already paid your money, they should be on the hook for their mistakes, not you.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts
Update its been 8 weeks and no date in sight for them to ship my replacement gun
That sucks. Did I read your first post right that you have had 3 Taurus guns and they all had to be replaced? That is just bad luck if you ask me.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
That sucks. Did I read your first post right that you have had 3 Taurus guns and they all had to be replaced? That is just bad luck if you ask me.
Yea!
even I have only had to send 50% of mine back for repair!!
I bet no one stands near you during a Lightning storm!------------------

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes the 3 are a pt745 , Magazines kept falling out, that went back 3 times, the last time I took the polymer frame to work and measured it on a cordax cmm and sent the print out with my gun, low and behold they said the polymer frame was defective. My 2nd was a pt738, the take down pin kept coming out when I shot it. and the 3rd is the pt740 with a cracked polymer frame.... I do own a Taurus 444 Ultra-lite 44 mag that has performed great for about 2 years now I shoot it about 50 rounds a month. Buds gun shop has the pt740"s for $260.00

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I had a warranty replacement from another manufacturer, a the new gun had the same serial as the original. Maybe Taurus does the same thing...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts