Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a used 605 stainless it’s been flawless and is really my EDC now. Working with that excellent experience I wanted a new tracker 627 4” 357.
I received it and looked it over it’s perfect no visible flaws

At the range during my first few cylinders it would fire fine then I would go to single action it and sometimes it wouldn’t allow me to cock the hammer. Opening and closing the cylinder and it began working well again. Few cylinders later same thing. Unable to single action cock hammer. Open cylinder close it. Locks up tight and works again.
Few things:

1. Cycles and works just fine with no rounds in the cylinder. Single action. Double action. Works fine dry firing it.
2. It also did it in double action.
3. Inspection after shooting everything looks fine. I did no clean before firing it. Cleaned it after all looks good.
4. I’m thinking of breaking it in more. I was 50 rounds at the range I’ll give it another 100 before sending it back. I intend to carry it occasionally.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
My advice is to gingerly break it in & DO NOT force the trigger to rotate the cylinder if it doesn't cooperate because you'll only scar the ratchet on the rear of the cylinder by doing so. I tell you all this because I had a similar experience with a brand new Taurus model 66 I bought new about 10 years ago & had I left it alone, it would've broken itself in beautifully. Instead I had to go into a panic & sent it back to cust. serv. 2 separate times for the same issue & while they got it to work, they really made it worse by making it operate more sloppy in the long run. It was doing similar to what you describe but everything was nice & tight & with use would've eventually loosened up. The gun today is still a very good shooter but after they replaced the cylinder & cylinder stop I now have an excessive barrel/cylinder gap along with the cylinder not locking up tight when in battery.

Do what you want, but those are my recommendations.

Reactions: Biomass

·
Registered
26 Posts
What ammo were you using. Any signs of high primers, which could be dragging on the recoil plate? Rim thickness issues? Poorly crimped bullets that could walk forward under recoil and drive the shells back?

I know the reputation of revolvers is to be reliable regardless of ammo, but sometimes ammo Is still a problem.

·
9,229 Posts
My new 627 seems to be ok, I ran about 80 rounds of reloads both 38 and 357 through it last week. You may have case rim or primer drag, when you load your cartridges, do they fall in or do they need to be pushed in to seat? Also you mentioned not cleaning before your first range visit. A good cleaning, pay particular attention to the cylinder bores, and under the cylinder star might help. Also while shooting how hard was it to eject the spent cases?

Reactions: Biomass

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What ammo were you using. Any signs of high primers, which could be dragging on the recoil plate? Rim thickness issues? Poorly crimped bullets that could walk forward under recoil and drive the shells back?

I know the reputation of revolvers is to be reliable regardless of ammo, but sometimes ammo Is still a problem.
I was using Federal American Eagle 158 LRN. It makes sense it is ammo related because with the gun empty I have no problems at all. I cleaned it up and lubed it well after so we will see how it performs next outing.

·
Registered
538 Posts
At the range during my first few cylinders it would fire fine then I would go to single action it and sometimes it wouldn’t allow me to cock the hammer. Opening and closing the cylinder and it began working well again. Few cylinders later same thing. Unable to single action cock hammer. Open cylinder close it. Locks up tight and works again.
Few things:

1. Cycles and works just fine with no rounds in the cylinder. Single action. Double action. Works fine dry firing it.
2. It also did it in double action.
3. Inspection after shooting everything looks fine. I did no clean before firing it. Cleaned it after all looks good.
4. I’m thinking of breaking it in more. I was 50 rounds at the range I’ll give it another 100 before sending it back. I intend to carry it occasionally.
The trigger and hammer binding, then working once the cylinder is released and reseated, was exactly what my Tracker .44 was doing.

Check cylinder endshake (fore and aft movement). Too much and the cylinder can bind on the back of the barrel, which locks the hammer and trigger.

Check Triggershims dot com, buy some cylinder shims. Install as needed, not too much.

(Be careful disassembling the cylinder. I had the center pin spring fall out, bounce off my leg, and disappear into the debris on my basement floor, never to be found. Finding a replacement (Taurus won't sell you one) was interesting.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts