Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I range-tested my recently acquired Remington Nylon 66 [ http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/o...-torn-between-two-semi-22s-7.html#post4654434 ] I took my Sig Sauer P250 along. When I bought it, it came with a .40 S&W barrel and a .357 Sig barrel. I had previously shot many rounds of .40 S&W and trust it to the point that I use it as my daily carry ammo. Due to price, however, I held off on buying and shooting .357 Sig until last weekend.

I bought a 50 round box of Sig Sauer 357 Sig 125 grain full metal jacket.

Out of 27 rounds fired, six of them failed to fire on the first attempt. That's a 22% failure rate!

Since the Sig P250 is double action only I was able to pull the trigger a second time on the faulty rounds. All but one of the them fired on the second attempt.

That one failed six further attempts. At that point I kept the pistol pointed down range for about 30 seconds, in case of a delayed discharge, before ejecting it. The primer was dimpled the same as other ejected shells, so I do not attribute the problem to a worn firing pin or weak spring.

When I was done shooting, I looked again at the faulty round, thought, "Why not?", loaded it in a magazine and tried one more time.

BANG!

For the record, I have never had a fail-to-fire in many hundreds of rounds of .40 S&W in the .40 barrel. Lest anyone wonder if the chamber on the .357 Sig barrel may be at fault by seating those rounds too deeply, the primer dimples on expelled rounds were all the same depth as the .40 rounds.

I bought the Sig ammunition thinking I'd stay brand loyal, just for chuckles, and also I have heard the Sig ammo is high quality. I'll try some other brands in the future, but until then I'm sticking with .40 S&W ammo for carry and home defense.

Reactions: bobbojama

·
Administrator
35,575 Posts
Man, that's some serious QC problems with their ammo. How could you count on it to go off when you need it the most?

Do you reload? This round seems to scream to be reloaded for.

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, that's some serious QC problems with their ammo. How could you count on it to go off when you need it the most?

Do you reload? This round seems to scream to be reloaded for.
Not yet. I plan to retire from full-time work next April. Reloading is high on my list of Things To Keep Me Busy After Retirement. (I'll be seeking advice from here at the appropriate time.)

Reactions: loudviking

·
Super Moderator
40,640 Posts
Do you still have some of the factory ammo left? Run ypur finger over the bases and see if the primers are a little high. They should be ever so slightly less then flush with the base of the case.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Headspace.Depending on how the gun is made, and who you talk to, 357 SIG locates on the shoulder OR the case mouth. If your chamber is a little deep, not seating on the case mouth it's seating on the shoulder. Might be interesting to take the barrel out, use a Sharpie to color the shoulder of a round, drop it in the chamber and twist it around a few times. If it is seating on the shoulder it will wipe off the Sharpie.May just be a matter of trying another brand of ammo.All the Best,D. White

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
I would contact Sig about the ammo.
I am betting its the ammo if the primers were dimpled anywhere close to normal.
especially with them firing on the second strike.
everyone that I have talked to that have used the Sig ammo really like it and no problems, course I haven't shot any of it myself.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
If it is not the ammo or the gun having dirt in the firing pin channel then I'm going with headspace also. Sounds like the rounds are chambering just a tad too deep into the chamber. Pressure will set them back against the bolt face so the dimple will look the same.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Third on headspace. Have a gunsmith check it. Not all barrels are plug-n-play, and have to be fitted to the gun.

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Headspace it is. I'll leave the barrel with my LGS gunsmith this week.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Try a different brand of ammo first ... If it still occurs .. Send barrel back to Sig ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts