Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is a light primer stroke, but i'm not entirely sure.

I thought maybe it was just the infamous winchester white box ammo, but this happens with range reloads too.

I pull the trigger and nothing happens. I pull back the slide after a few seconds and take a peek. The primer is dented (a fair amount of dent imo), but nothing. 90% of the time if i close the slide and hit the same round again it will go off. however, if i dont pull the slide back (I assume it's reseating the round slightly) and just revert to the da mode the round wont go off even after several pulls.

I had this happen about six times out of 100 rd box at first, but now it's happening about once per clip.

So, what do you think? and can this be fixed/adjusted myself or am i going to need to ship this off?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have had this happen to me with my 9mm 24/7 and its happend with WWB and reloads I wanna say its the bullets because when I switched to CCI blazer aluminum casing Ive never had that problem again 1500 rounds of CCI Blazer and its been gravy never had to pull the trigger a second time. But I dont know I guess it could be a gun problem try switching ammo for about 500-1000 rounds see if you get the same results.

·
32,527 Posts
Range reloads are not made to exacting tolerances as is true with commercial ammo. Not usually anyway. Cases would have to measured, sized and trimmed to get the used cases back to spec. Use stretches and changes the case demensions somewhat. Some brands of case more so than others. Resizing of the case and checking the primer pocket need to be done before reloading commences

Small or cheap remanufactured ammo makers may not take these steps. Costs time and money. Some one has to check each case. With bulk reloads the different types of same caliber ammo cases(every case made commercially has different inner and outer demensions and thickness inside and out) may not be seperated according to type,brand or size.

There may be companies that do this. Black Hills and a few others have remanufactured ammo that has little or no troubles with fit and function.

So yes, an ammo switch is in order. It takes time for a gun to break in just like a car and may not like and may be finicky about ammo that functions and fits.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up some federal hydrashok 165 grain and federal FMJ 230 grain. I was looking for the CCI alum stuff but they didnt' have any in stock.

i think i'm going to let the wife try the 165 stuff .i have a bunch of 165 gr. glasers I want to burn up, maybe she'll be ok with that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, i'm back and very happy to say the primer problem is fixed. Apparently it was the cheap winchester ammo. I went through 192 rounds today testing various ammo for the primer problem and not a single time did the primer fail to go off.

HOWEVER,

now I have another issue. Jamming.

Hollow points seem to be going through fairly well, but FMJ is jamming like nobody's business.

I noticed that at times when the spent round, the round in the mag wasn't kicked up at an angle ready to go up the feed ramp. I would have to pull the mag out, re-insert and re-rack. Usually when I did that the bullet would kick back and load up the ramp.

However, most of the time it would be jammed and I would pull the slide back and look to see the bullet straight up the ramp and ready to be loaded, but it looked like the front of the bullet was caught on the top of the chamber. It looked like it OVER-fed the angle on the bullet if that makes any sense. I would have to pull the slide back, lock it and re-seat the round in the chamber properly. On one magazine this seemed to happen EVERY round. The other mag (both factory, came with the gun) would only do it about once every 3-4 rounds.

These are the two things I've noticed. After about the first 150 rounds the slide was really gritty, but only when there was a mag in the gun. When I pulled the mag out and worked the slide it was smooth. I'm going to oil the rails and have some grease on order to help that.

Here are the stats for the ammo test

100 rounds of CCI Blazer FMJ - 10 jams/misfeeds
24 rounds of Glazer blues - 2 jams/misfeeds
50 rounds of Federal FMJ (american eagle) - 8 jams/misfeeds
12 rounds Rem JHP - 1 jam/misfeed
6 Fed Hydrashot - 0 problems

comments? Suggestions?

i'm wondering if it's the mags, but... come on, OEM mags?

·
Administrator
39,686 Posts
Try disassembling the mags and cleaning them. They need it every now and then.

·
Administrator
17,796 Posts
What SmokeWagon said! Then test-fire to be sure. Magazines should be cleaned as often as you clean your pistol!

·
Registered
116 Posts
LedJedi said:
ok, can someone give me a step by step on how to do that?

I can get the plastic end cap off and that reveals a metal plate with the spring attached. how do i get that out?
hit the mag on a hard surface it wll pop right out if that dont work take a flat head driver and pop it down not too hard. It should pop right out after that and dont for to oil the spring and take off that hard yellow stuff on the spring.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont think the mag being dirty is the problem. There is a little dirt, but it's not a buildup issue. If anything, the mags are better than they were earlier, they're a lot more broken in spring wise than they were when I first got the gun.

It looks like I may have to send this in for service.

I'm going to try the slide grease first though, maybe the friction of the dirty gun after a few rounds caused the slide to drag and miss feed. That sounds a little more plausible.

·
Administrator
39,686 Posts
LedJedi said:
ok, can someone give me a step by step on how to do that?

I can get the plastic end cap off and that reveals a metal plate with the spring attached. how do i get that out?
Just press one side of the plate down into the mag. The side you don't push will then clear the mag base. So simple I couldn't believe it took me so long to figure out. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cimarron said:
You may wish to check out this link for help with your magazine problems...
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1601.0
oh wow, that helps a LOT. A picture is worth 1000 words.

yeah, taking that spring plate out is simple as pie as soon as you get it figured out. It's like a Chinese puzzle box (or brazilian in this case).

I will post a follow up after i get some grease on it and take it back out to the range.

oddly enough, it seemed to be shooting hollowpoints better than ball ammo. that's a turn-around from when I first got the gun.

·
Administrator
17,796 Posts
This post is copied from my response to your post in another thread.

I still think you may be having a Magazine problem with your 24/7 Pro Pistol, but my experience with this particular Taurus Model is limited at this time. Taurus did have magazine problems (weak springs) with some of the early .45 PT24/7's. Yours could be one of them. If not a Magazine Problem, have a look at the extractor area. It may need to be cleaned.

Another thing you might do is seek the advice of a local gunsmith, familiar with the design. Don't know the shop you bought it from. The problem with some Gunshops is that all they want to do is $ell you yet another gun, rather than fix your problem.

My experience with other Double Stack .45 Magazined Pistols (Para Ordnance P14, EAA Witness) has shown me that they can be a bit tempermental at times and are very dependant on having good Magazine Springs in them. However, their problems are usually not insurmountable. The EAA .45 is still one of my all time Favorite .45's and I've trusted my life to one, on occasion. The 24/7 Pro .45 is still on my shopping list.

Let us know how your Range Trip goes!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
heh, i guess i did sort of shift the subject over there. It's just been on the brain lately.

I completely admit it could very well be the magazines. I took them apart and cleaned em (not really all that dirty). they seem to be in good working order and were originals from the factory. I'm not really sure what i could do with them to make them any better. I'm certainly open to suggestions though.

I was looking at the ejector issue tonight (very clean) and it seems to be working well. I dont think the problem lies there. I was cycling a few rounds through the gun just by working the slide and watching closely. I found
something a bit odd.

It's currently loaded with hollow points. When the last round is ejected (comes out with a healthy amount of force) the round below jumps up to the top of the magazine. As the slide closes the angle of the round isn't being shifted to go up the ramp. Instead it just sits there flat. If i pull the slide back again and let it snap back it puts enough force on the round to pop it up the slide but not before creating an obvious wedge on the round.

At that point the round either sort of "jumps" into the chamber where it's supposed to or the tip will jump a bit TOO high and get wedged between the top of the magazine and the top of the chamber at which point it's FUBAR and I have to open the slide again and remove the round (or set it in the chamber).

Does this make sense to anyone? Hoping it sounds familiar to someone.
The spring in the magazine has plenty of tension, but it's keeping the round flat. I'm not exactly an EXPERT on the inner workings of a gun but i've noticed as i load a magazine the round is either sort of canted up or it's pretty much flat with a very slight cant. It seems the ones that are more canted up seem to load correctly and the ones with that stay flat are getting wedged.

well, they say a picture is worth 1000 words so here's a few pictures and here's a short video of me racking the slide (link at the bottom).

Round stuck, laying flat. The round is stuck here between the back of the slide and the front of the feed ramp. That's keeping the slide open. The slide lock is not engaged. You can barely see the top of the round in this one.

Same round stuck, different angle so you can better see the round where it's stuck.

Round laying more or less flat in the mag

Round canted up

Video link: http://jsangster.tzo.com/220843.wmv

(PS. I just noticed that when the magazine is actually in the gun it forces the rounds to lay in the more flat position. They don't have room to cock up really. Is this pretty much normal?)

I think I will take it to a gunsmith and just have him cycle a few rounds and look at it. It does the same thing with round nose stuff.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
a buddy of mine who has probably forgotten more about guns than I'll ever know took a look at my post here, the pics and the vid and said it was most likely either the springs (as you guys suggested) or the gap on the mags is off.

So, can anyone suggest a good mag manufacturer? I'm not inclined to go back to Taurus after two of the brand new ones are fubar.

·
Administrator
17,796 Posts
It appears that there is not enough forward support of the cartridge, indicated by the nosedive. I believe that you have weak Magazine Springs. Taurus will replace defective magazines, free of charge, and has done so. I know of no other Magazine Manufacturer, currently making PT24/7 .45 ACP magazines. Although MecGar, a quality magazine manufacturer, has made some Taurus Magazines in the past, I've not seen any for the PT24/7 .45 ACP, as yet. As these magazines can be expensive, I recommend that you return the magazines to Taurus for exchange.

·
32,527 Posts
ProMag makes these magazines, but cannot vouch for them. I do have some ProMags for practice and have never had a problem, but using them for serious use may be stretching things. JWC007 is correct. http:// www.gunclips.net/taurus.html This is a source for Taurus mags by Taurus or Promag.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
OK... down and dirty quick fix. You can physically "stretch" your springs to create more tension. This requires finese... too much and you can't stuff them back into the magazine. You might try "gently" widening the gap of the side of the springs that face the front of the magazine... so their is a bit more tension pushing the front of the bullet up.

The second thing, again with great finese... you can open the gap in the front of the magazine feed lips... too much and your bullets pop out without being in the gun.

These may not be permenant fixes, however, to my awareness, I've not heard of replacement springs (Wolf springs). So if you can get them working again, you may need to remember the "tweaks" for future investments.

The good thing is that few magazines are totally flawed... they just get worn, or were never within tolerances at the feed lips. Most magazines can be resurrected, at least for target shooting... and most for general useage.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts