Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During IDPA practice the other night,I had the slide lock back twice,with 1 round left in the magazine...I thought it was with 2 different mags(but maybe not)..it was a quick fix,I just hit the slide release,but it got me wondering if it may be a recoil srping issue.I bought the gun used and I have no idea how many rounds it's been through.Other than that I've had no feeding or any other issues.Will Taurus just send me a new spring,or will I have to send the gun to them?
thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sounds more like the magazine spring is going dead, to me. If it is that you could try taking the mag apart and streching the spring out to get a little more life from it, but in the end it will be time for a new mag / spring.

A blown recoil spring and you'd get symtoms like failure to feed, failure to eject, failure to lockback, etc.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I shpuld've said in my original post..these are new magazines....I will try and keep track if it happens again,as to what mag it is...I ejects fine,but maybe it was actually a failure to feed.But both times itwas the last round in the mag.I was using Winclean ammo,and I know some of our guys have problems w/ their 1911's feeding the Winclean.
I'm gonna try and get to the range tomarrow and see if I can make it happen again.

·
32,790 Posts
Just so you you know Tony B that last rounds not feeding or causing problems is not new to any brand of .45ACP pistol. The magazine may be the culprit.

And trying several brands of ammo in small quantity may be needed to see if if they function well in that pistol.

Winclean ammo can cause function failures like you have stated in some makes and models. It isn't bad ammo. Just has trouble getting enough energy up to cycle actions.

The magazine ammo follower could also be hanging up or out of spec.

A call to Customer Service may be in order. They can answer your questions better than we can. In the past parts were sent to the user. And in other cases the faulty mags are sent in and replaced or fixed. Phone # for Service is 305-624-1115.

Tell them exactly what is going on in good detail.
If the pistol was used for IDPA practice were the mags ever dumped on the ground or bumped? Damage or misalignment can take place from constant use in IDPA.

Bumper pads made of rubber or plastic cut to fit and then can be cemented onto the bottom of each mag, will stop that kind of problem. This absorbs most of the impact if the mag hits the ground.

Doing this even if the mags weren't used that way yet would be beneficial.

It is common to procure spare mags as budgets allow and use several or more for competitions and others for regular carry or use.

·
Administrator
18,470 Posts
Have not had this happen on my PT945. Could be a faulty Slidestop Lever Return Spring which is easily checked.

1.) Check to make sure your Pistol is unloaded before proceeding.
2.) Field Strip Pistol, removing the Slide/Barrel assembly from the Frame
3.) Holding Pistol in your right hand Turn Pistol sideways and push Slidestop Lever up with your right hand thumb
4.) Remove your thumb and check to see that the lever springs back to the level position. If not, the Slidestop Lever Return Spring is broken and must be replaced. It is not difficult to remove and install. (At least from my point of view.)

Taurus will send you a New Slidestop Lever Return Spring, but you may have to buy it.
Since you do not know how many rounds have been thru your pistol, a new recoil spring might be a good idea, as well.

The only other causes I can think of may be that you are accidently brushing up against the Slidestop Lever during your shooting or possibly LimpWristing the Pistol during shooting. Have someone else shoot your pistol and see if it happens to them.

WinClean has caused some other problems in the past. Please try some different ammunition, as well.

I also second the idea of Bumper Pads to protect the Plastic Bottoms of your magazines. If you are handy these can be fabricated from generic Black Mouse pads and glued (I use Goop silicone glue) to the bottoms of your magazines. Just be careful to leave a hole for the disassembly button of your magazines.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I finally got to the range....I tried everything to get the gun to do it again,but to no avail......must've been a fluke.....or a hand position thing(although I'm a lefty,so it wasnt a thumb thing)I tried all my mags,and the 2 types of ammo I shoot.Winclean and Fiocci jhp's,and had no problems at all...oh well.
did I say I love this gun?

·
32,790 Posts
Problem solved. I guess? :) Getting used to these pistols and their idiosyncracies is part of the ownership package. :) Seems like a beaut of a pistol.

There were a few gun writers for the rags who first critiqued the 945 some years back claiming it was too big for most applications. When compared to other compareable makes and models that does not really seem to be an issue.

Press lately for the 945 seems to be much more favorable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know....it's almost the same exact size as my Glock 17..in fact I use the same holster for both..I't not a small pistol by any means,and I don't carry it,but I could.For me it is the perfect .45.It fits my hand well,has minimal recoil.Whenever I shoot it people always ask:hey,what is that?"When I tell them it's a Taurus,they all want to shoot it and check it out.
Now that the "problems" have disappeared,I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my case, the last time i fired my pt945, after firing the last bullet in the mag, the slide won't remain open. Tried it during the whole session and i didn't get even one open chambered slide after the last round in the mag. What could have been causing this??

thanks in advance guys.

·
Administrator
40,679 Posts
Had that happen in my Ruger. Turned out to be a dirty magazine. They need cleaning also. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.