Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
to be fair, only the L receiver is printed, surprised they got it to 60rnds this time tho
And that's the important part. One does not need to go through an FFL or submit an application to the .gov to buy an upper.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've seen that awhile ago. The technology is still relatively new for making a working product.Most are just for modeling. You could actually build a home brew cnc mill cheaper and depending on how it's built and speed it is run at,they are very accurate.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I think we had some posts on this technology a while back. The problem, of course, is that the 3D injection molder printers cost BIG $$$$$$. Cheaper to buy a lower - - - - - that is, if you can FIND one. ( I heard that Diane Feinstein has a stash of them in her garage, just in case.)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
So why not just stock up on 80% lowers and finish them later? Oh yeah, guys are already doing that....

Reactions: Zylo_X

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I think we had some posts on this technology a while back. The problem, of course, is that the 3D injection molder printers cost BIG $$$$$$. Cheaper to buy a lower - - - - - that is, if you can FIND one. ( I heard that Diane Feinstein has a stash of them in her garage, just in case.)
Actually, instead of buying the printer, I think they have 'print server' share services that you can 'rent'. I think the key would be to develop better 'ink', in a liquid metal form. That would still probably cost more than buying a lower, but in light of a 'ban', buying a lower might not be an option. :mad:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The point is that once you have the ability to make 1, it is extremely less expensive to make the next 500.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
The point is that once you have the ability to make 1, it is extremely less expensive to make the next 500.
THAT^^^^ Economy of Scale.

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
Injection molding is a completely different process. The 3D printers being discussed here have a print head that measures in 10ths of a millimeter or less. The plastic comes on a roll and is melted as it passes through the print head. A computer tells the printer when and when not to squirt and builds up the object a very thin layer at a time. The plastic cools and hardens as fast as it's laid down. The latest models, while very expensive, print objects with "squirts" so fine you cannot see the layers in the finished product.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts