Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
He has it to where the lower receiver will last 600 rounds before breaking.
He keeps improving.
The magazine should last a long time, no stress on it.
You still need a steel barrel and the other parts.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
I have a problem with using a gun that was printed ..?????

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
He has it to where the lower receiver will last 600 rounds before breaking.
He keeps improving.
The magazine should last a long time, no stress on it.
You still need a steel barrel and the other parts.
The next fronteer of 3d printing is with melting of powdered metal to make parts. NASA is already making rocket parts out of metal with 3d printers. So I would say that it will be possible at some point to print the entire weapon - perhaps ammo parts as well.

NASA 3D prints rocket parts ? with steel, not plastic | ExtremeTech

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's some specs I found on an AR15.com thread regarding the strength of printer polymers
compared to aluminum:

- Mil-Spec AR15 Lower - 7075-T6 Aluminum (Tensile ~75,000 psi, Yield ~21,000 psi)
- (Fortus) ABS M30 (Tensile ~5,200 psi ––> over 14 times weaker than 7075-T6)
- (Fortus) ULTEM 9085 - strongest material available for the Fortus machines (Tensile ~10,400 psi ––> over 7 times weaker than 7075-T6)

The formidable 3D printed polymer AR lower - AR15.COM

It seems some of the materials technology has a ways to go.

·
Registered
15,661 Posts
Until it gets to a point where you can reliably print bolt carrier groups and barrels, it's a prototyping machine to me. We may see all sorts of new radical designs come from this and that in and of itself may benefit the firearms world. It sure beats casting or forging and machining for a functionality prototype.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
As semi-retired engineering guy ( and who can really afford to retire today?), I keep looking at this.

While the materials have some catching up to do, that will happen. Who would have believed "plastic guns" until Glock arrived?

Making the leap into AR-15s is maybe a too-big first step. but think about a 1911-design 45 acp. The ONLY two parts that receive undue stress and pressure are the barrel (internal pressure from the cartridge igniting), and the slide (the stress of the recoil). Those are the only 2 parts that must be steel ---- with today's materials. ( The springs, right now, also need to be spring steel) That's why a Glock, or any other poly pistol can get away with their designs.

I'm surprised no one has tried to "print" a .45, and I need to do some research on it. Aftermarket slides and barrels are easily available, and if you could print all of the other parts, but a barrel, slide and some springs ------ instant Colt 1911.

It will happen some day - - - - - - and then watch Diane Feinstein pee her pants. "When printers are outlawed, only outlaws will print guns". :)

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I have the 3D printer .iges files for a 1911A1.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts