Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so irritated. No primers to be found anywhere. And the ones online are double priced. I friggin hate gougers!:mad:

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
The small primers would of course be the hardest to find, since the majority of pistol cartridges use the small primers.

Do so with caution, but you can use small rifle if you can find them. You should back off to a minimum charge and work back up. Years ago Handloader Magazine tested the "power" of various primers, and found that small rifle primers were somewhere between small pistol and small pistol magnum.

This only works for small primers, the large rifles are taller than the large pistols, you'll have a dangerous high primer. Yes, I've used them myself a little, out of curiosity. They worked great in .357 Magnum. One of the old timers I used to shoot with when I was young never bought small pistol primers, he used small rifle exclusively. He shot a lot of 9mm.

·
Registered
37,073 Posts
Yea, that seems to be the weak link in the reloading process!
I just recieved 1000 -45 and 1000 -9MM projectiles yesterday via UPS , really haven't had any problems finding projectiles or powder!
Primers are scarce for sure!
small pistol and small rifle especially.
I was sitting on a few over 10,000 when the shooting at the school happened so am in pretty good shape.
Most of the gun shops here that have primers in stock are selling at 50.00 per thousand, my range/gunshop just got many thousands in and they are retailing them at 40.00 per thousand but they had to pay premium to get them as well.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Yea, that seems to be the weak link in the reloading process!
I just recieved 1000 -45 and 1000 -9MM projectiles yesterday via UPS , really haven't had any problems finding projectiles or powder!
Primers are scarce for sure!
small pistol and small rifle especially.
I was sitting on a few over 10,000 when the shooting at the school happened so am in pretty good shape.
Most of the gun shops here that have primers in stock are selling at 50.00 per thousand, my range/gunshop just got many thousands in and they are retailing them at 40.00 per thousand but they had to pay premium to get them as well.
I think when I get down to about 4,000 I'm going to place a backorder and wait it out.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
The local place I go, Guns Unlimited in Omaha NE has primers in stock, the price went up to $33.49 per1K since the rush, but I can't complain about that from what I am hearing elsewhere. I am not affiliated with them in any way, they are just a good source for primers and powder, I do not think they do any mail/internet business.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
The local place I go, Guns Unlimited in Omaha NE has primers in stock, the price went up to $33.49 per1K since the rush, but I can't complain about that from what I am hearing elsewhere. I am not affiliated with them in any way, they are just a good source for primers and powder, I do not think they do any mail/internet business.
That's a good price in normal times for a retail outfit. I imagine different regions have different usage, some places there aren't as many pistol reloaders.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
The small primers would of course be the hardest to find, since the majority of pistol cartridges use the small primers.

Do so with caution, but you can use small rifle if you can find them. You should back off to a minimum charge and work back up. Years ago Handloader Magazine tested the "power" of various primers, and found that small rifle primers were somewhere between small pistol and small pistol magnum.

This only works for small primers, the large rifles are taller than the large pistols, you'll have a dangerous high primer. Yes, I've used them myself a little, out of curiosity. They worked great in .357 Magnum. One of the old timers I used to shoot with when I was young never bought small pistol primers, he used small rifle exclusively. He shot a lot of 9mm.
I need to look into this (not that i don't trust your post M8!) - I have access to sm rifle primers all day long!! I still have 2500 sm pistol but I'm continuing to try and be set for the long haul.

·
Registered
703 Posts
That's a good price in normal times for a retail outfit. I imagine different regions have different usage, some places there aren't as many pistol reloaders.
I'd be willing to buy from them at this price, + shipping & hazmat. I think I found their website, but they don't seem to be into e-commerce.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I picked up the last 1000 small rifle primers, at the local shop, today and paid $38. I do wish they would get some Accurate 2230 in though!

·
10,379 Posts
Ouch, I've got some local sources but I ain't sharing! No way I'm volunteering to pay those prices!<g>

I've got 2,400 LPP, 1k LRP, and 2k SPP sitting in my reloading room at the moment so I should be good to go for a while. My problems lately have been finding brass...everyone's frigging recycling it instead of throwing it away at the area ranges that I scrounge. Sad day indeed when a reloader has to order brass from a store.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
LOL My local reloading shop posted on Backpage last night that he had SPP & SRP. Went there this morning at 10:00 & sold out. I went for a friend that can't get off work. He was not happy!

BW

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I picked up the last 1000 small rifle primers, at the local shop, today and paid $38. I do wish they would get some Accurate 2230 in though!
I have 2 pounds that will hold me for a bit but powder does not seem to be a problem here. Want me to check stores? Most powders float in the $20 range - then the Hazmat fee. $48 right? I've NEVER paid it - always had primers and powder available locally!

I'm finding a lot of good info on Sm Rifle primers working well in 40 also 9 and 38 spcl. in place of sm pistol - they have a slightly thicker shell (like .001+) and fall between sm mag pistol and sm pistol - adding a sm. boost - 20fps according to some and a bit of pressure of course.. Sharp people start the beginning load and build up. I found more than one person using them exclusively to simplify his reloading. I'll test my rounds ASAP. being able to make tat swap would be a big help!

Reactions: darbo and glenwolde

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I need to look into this (not that i don't trust your post M8!) - I have access to sm rifle primers all day long!! I still have 2500 sm pistol but I'm continuing to try and be set for the long haul.
I bet if you google that you'll find it's actually fairly common. The old guy I knew that used them all the time claimed the different types of primers were just a marketing ploy to get everybody to buy more primers. He used them because he shot a lot of small rifle, but only loaded for one pistol, the only one he owned, a High Power. At the time the 9mm was not really that popular in the U.S., at least not like today.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I'd be willing to buy from them at this price, + shipping & hazmat. I think I found their website, but they don't seem to be into e-commerce.
I dont think they are, and I have to admit I am glad they are not for selfish reasons. If they sold online they would be out like everyone else.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Hmmmm.... it's only 900 miles from here...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the best way to find them now is just to check all your local stores often and see when they get shipments in. Primers are rather difficult to find now though

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Walmart said they just unpacked them. Drove 15 minutes and by the time I got there they were sold out. Friggin absurd

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I have 2 pounds that will hold me for a bit but powder does not seem to be a problem here. Want me to check stores? Most powders float in the $20 range - then the Hazmat fee. $48 right? I've NEVER paid it - always had primers and powder available locally!

I'm finding a lot of good info on Sm Rifle primers working well in 40 also 9 and 38 spcl. in place of sm pistol - they have a slightly thicker shell (like .001+) and fall between sm mag pistol and sm pistol - adding a sm. boost - 20fps according to some and a bit of pressure of course.. Sharp people start the beginning load and build up. I found more than one person using them exclusively to simplify his reloading. I'll test my rounds ASAP. being able to make tat swap would be a big help!
I did pick up some Win 748 to continue loading for .223. Of course I'm still new to this stuff but I found I REALLY like the way the 2230 meters and the finished cartridge it makes. Hopefully I will like the Win 748 as well. Besides it's best that I expand out into different setups.
I'm fairly well set with primers. And I have a decent supply of pistol powder, not so much on the rifle powder.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts