Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,786 Posts
You will need small pistol primers for the 9 and large pistol primers for the .45. When you get 'em, the difference will be obvious. Just look at the back side of the case, small is small, large is larger. Get STANDARD primers, not magnum, for these calibers. Frankly, I use standard primers even in magnum revolver loads.

For powder, I use Alliant Bullseye in both calibers for standard range loads. Unique will work, but Bullseye is better. Also, WW231 is a good powder for these calibers. There are MANY good powders, but Bullseye has been around forever and why fix what ain't broke? It shoots accurate and reliable and meters well. WW231 is a little cleaner burning.

·
Super Moderator
35,786 Posts
I no longer own a 1911. They can be problematic with hollowpoint and other ammo, mine were. The key to a 1911 that IS problematic, though, is OAL (overall length), at least in a cast bullet. Helps to not have a sharp edged bullet nose profile, too. Cast 230 round nose or some SWC bullets will feed in about any 1911. I have a 200 grain Lee tumble lube designed SWC that I had to seat out until it was headspacing on the rifling of my AMT before I could get it reliable, the OAL thing, a short bullet. But, 230 round nose was no problem at all. Since I got a Ruger P90 in .45ACP, I don't worry any longer about feeding. I don't think you can load a round that won't feed in that gun. LOL! But, feeding reliability with anything other than round nose 230 is a major reason I no longer own a 1911. They're very design is for hardball, an early military design, after all. The military doesn't care about hollowpoint reliability. But, it's not the fact that the bullet is cast that causes feed problems in 1911s. So long as you have a roundish profile and proper OAL, it should be as reliable as any jacketed ball bullet and .45ACPs generally are quite accurate with lead bullets.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts