Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am with my Lee Classic Loader inserting primers.
Yeah, you hammer them in like this.
SN850285.JPG
So I guess one was really sensitive as it went BANG on the first tap.
Sounded like a firecracker, flame shot out the top of the dies.
Made my ears ring.
No injuries. Just some primer residue on my finger which was steadying the rod.
That'll scare the **** out of ya!
Excuse me while I change my shorts. Just kidding.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I done it my self using a Lee Loader with 12 ga shotgun primers. It will make you sit up and take notice.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I hope you're wearing eye protection, and maybe some earplugs!
Sure do both eye and ear protection when loading. The first time taught me to add the ear plugs though I always wear glass when doing anything like this. I only have one now and sure don't want to give it up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
must be some hot primers to be that loud. Usually they are no louder than the old school blackcats. In an enclosed area they will still make your ears ring though.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reloading on my office desk, room is not that big, maybe 10' X 13'.
Sounded like a BlackCat fircracker.
It went off about 1 foot in front of me.
I think it was just a super sensitive one, the rest all behaved normally when tapping them into the case.
One bang out of 800.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
luckily i have never had a primer detonate while seating primers. i use the lee handheld auto primer,been using it for 27 yrs.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That is the reason I bought the Lee Auto Prime, I set of several while loading my first rounds with the Classic Loader.

·
Registered
181 Posts
good to hear you were not serously hurt. Other than the heart attack and soiled drawers. :D

Maybe look into one of the Lee hand presses. Got to be better than a hammer.

Paul

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
Back before I really got into Reloading, I tried a Lee Classic Loader in 7x57mm Mauser. Took me forever just to load 20 rounds. Gave up on it and bought a Lyman T-Mag Press and Dies. I'm sure I still have that Lee Classic Loader around my Loading Bench somewhere.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I hear the comments about it being a "BM moment", making you sit up and take notice. I load on a bench in the basement with the floor covered in tile. I had a spill of primers a while back, and spent quite a bit of time picking them up with tweezers. Well, I did not get them all as a day or so later, I rolled over one with my loading chair and "BANG". After I changed my shorts, explained to the wife that all was well, and cleaned up the black mark on the tile, I went back over the floor with a hand brush and bright flashlight. Found two more! It definitely gets your attention!

·
10,379 Posts
Yep, I accidentally vacuumed one up. Exploded the little light in the front of the vacuum and broke the mount holding the roller...that lil $0.08 primer cost me a $250 vacuum. On a good note, the expression on my face must have been good, cause my fiance was laughing too hard at me to be mad at me.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I won't say when or where, but I once hit a flake of nitrocellulose about the size of a thumbnail with a hammer on a wood desk.
Nice small crater and a 2" burned circle around it.
Just wanted to see what kind of bang it would make. Loud bang. Very loud bang.
Kept a stack of books on that spot from then on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep, I accidentally vacuumed one up. Exploded the little light in the front of the vacuum and broke the mount holding the roller...that lil $0.08 primer cost me a $250 vacuum. On a good note, the expression on my face must have been good, cause my fiance was laughing too hard at me to be mad at me.
Shop-vac with a piece of pantyhose over the nozzle. Use a little extra to form a pocket up inside the mouth of the hose. Good for primers and/or little lost parts, springs, etc.

Well, I won't say when or where, but I once hit a flake of nitrocellulose about the size of a thumbnail with a hammer on a wood desk.
Nice small crater and a 2" burned circle around it.
Just wanted to see what kind of bang it would make. Loud bang. Very loud bang.
Kept a stack of books on that spot from then on.
Where'd you get a nitrocellulose flake that large? I want to try this! :D

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where'd you get a nitrocellulose flake that large? I want to try this! :D
No you don't.
I took one flake from a 1lb. can packed in alcohol and let it dry.
Just wanted to see if it was shock sensitive.
'Nuff said.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No you don't.
I took one flake from a 1lb. can packed in alcohol and let it dry.
Just wanted to see if it was shock sensitive.
'Nuff said.
Yeah, I was mostly kidding. I'm not the kind that hits primers with a hammer, either.

Did the hammer recoil back up a bit?

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I was mostly kidding. I'm not the kind that hits primers with a hammer, either.

Did the hammer recoil back up a bit?
Oh, yeah.

I figured you were.;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts