Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing alot of reading once again into the subject of primers this time and hardness of cups and brands. I have been coming up with polarizing views on which primers to select. Since the beginning of my reloading journey I have always used winchester and cci. mainly cci when I started having issues with the winchester primers which was caused by my inexperience in priming in the beginning crushing primers.

What would cause you to select a harder to ignite primer (harder cup) vs a easier to ignite primer (soft cup)?

in my minds eye I would think using a softer primer would always ensure that my reloads would go off correctly.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
In general, softer cups would be better in striker fired guns (firing pins that don't hit as hard) or bench rest guns that aren't jostled around a lot but need to work consistently.
Harder primers (CCI no. 41 for example) are usually milspec, and less likely to cause slam fires.

These are just a couple reasons.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
37,003 Posts
Unfortunately the story of late is you buy whatever you can find for sale. I loaded a number of CCI SPP in 223 reloads and freaked because I feared that I created a select fire AR. Turns out that the CCI is a harder cup and I have no issues. IIRC Federal are among the softer primers. The most probably answer is that if you have an ignition problem, it's probably the firing pin, gunky channel/FP hole or springs in that mechanism. Except for those damn Wolf primers that I was forced to buy during the Sandy Hook drought.

Reactions: xiholdtruex

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I prefer Winchester or Remington primers. They are in the middle of the scale.

If I'm testing a gun's reliability, I want to use something loaded with CCI's- whether it's reloads or factory- because they are so hard. If the gun will function with CCI's, then it'll work fine with the others.

Federal primers are too soft for my taste. Any time somebody like Lee says not to use them specifically in their hand primers, they are too soft.

On the other hand, Federals will work when other brands won't. There's folks in the CAS community that tune their pistols to only work with Federal primers. Since they are so sensitive, they can set their guns up with lighter hammer springs- which means lighter pressure is needed to cock the hammer and it gives them the impression that it will make them 'faster'.

I figure that if your gun's got to have Federal primers in the ammunition it's running, then you need to replace some springs to make it more reliable across a broader spectrum of ammunition.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not know lee warned against using the federal primers in there priming tool. I know I have seen people with reduced spring weight using them to insure ignition. with cci primers I always get a nice dent in them from allmy guns except the one time I had a gunky firing pin channel.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I did not know lee warned against using the federal primers in there priming tool. I know I have seen people with reduced spring weight using them to insure ignition. with cci primers I always get a nice dent in them from allmy guns except the one time I had a gunky firing pin channel.
Read the instructions for their hand primer tool.

Setting one off while priming a piece of brass can lead to a chain reaction by the rest of the unused primers in the tray.

While you are holding it in your hand.

·
Super Moderator
37,003 Posts

Setting one off while priming a piece of brass can lead to a chain reaction by the rest of the unused primers in the tray.

Yikes... I prime on the press with Lee equipment. I've used Federal primers, knew about the warning but have only had one primer blow in many reloads and that occurred while seating it. Got my attention. Have no idea what brand it was.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

good to know, I have definetly crushed a few and seated backwards and sideways luckily they have never gone off. I use the lee hand priming tool, I have not started priming in my press yet. I like the feel of the hand primer

·
Registered
36,668 Posts
ahh I believe that IF you check that warning was with the older priming tools.
the new versions Lee states are safe to use with any primer. I do believe.

·
Registered
36,668 Posts

The new Lee priming tools , the primer being seated is removed vertically from the rest of the primers in the feed channel as well as in the tray IF memory serves.

·
Registered
36,668 Posts
As mentioned earlier, hard primers to prevent slam fires, also less chance of a hole punched in the primer by a bad firing pin or super heavy main spring/ hammer spring, what ever.
softer for weapons typically that have extremely light main springs.
MY Tanfoglio Elite Match will about 1 in every 5-600 rounds fail to pop a CCI primer, yet runs flawlessly on Winchester, Remington, Federal primers.
for that reason I began to load all my 38 Super ammo with one of the latter.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have never had any problems loading soft or hard primers on any of Lees products
When using a hand loader if there is resistance then the user needs to correct it
I have all my pistols setup for Winchester and then if I want a softer primer it's Federal

·
Registered
27,567 Posts
For some of my competition guns that are filled with lighter springs and shoot lighter loads I always use softer (i.e. Federal) primers. Otherwise my choice is to use the hardest primer that my firearm will shoot reliably.
You should always inspect your fired brass and look for flattening of the primer or primer flow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts