Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would pass this one along. Stopped in Cabelas this afternoon to pick up some small pistol and magnum small pistol primers 4.99 per box of 100. wow.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Man, that seems really steep. I bought some locally about 2 weeks ago. They were 2.99/100 for small and large pistol. Here in WV, they are usually ahead of the curve when it comes to jackin the prices up on stuff.

·
Administrator
18,273 Posts
Yes, it's gotten outrageous! Prices on everything seem to be going mad! I've generally bought my Primers by the 1000 or in sheaths of 5000. Try some of the smaller Gunshops and see if you can get a better deal. Around here, one of the smaller dealers that only sell reloading supplies is currently charging $30 (Small) to $35 (Large) per 1000 for Winchester Primers. Prices on Bullets are also rising out of sight!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I paid $27.95 per thousand for Winchester small pistol and magnum primers last week. Two months ago they were running about $2 cheaper. Sure glad I don't have to pay those "up state" prices you're getting knocked for jwc007! But then again, all us downstaters already know that it cost more for everything when you get closer to Chicago.

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts
Good GOD! That's double what they were the last time I bought some. :rolleyes: I'm sure powder is up, too. I don't have to pay for bullets, at least, and at 2.7 grains per case, Bullseye goes a long way in .38s. LOL

·
Registered
384 Posts
A picture speaks a thousand words......picked up some more primers today. guess what? the price was even higher than last week. Check out the picture. that's the price change in the last three months.

·
Administrator
18,273 Posts
Thats a $1 a month inflation rate. Like I said, Prices on everything seem to be going mad! What I've got on hand will have to do for awhile till things simmer down, if ever! I do have a good supply of most Reloading Components on hand that should last me for awhile, given moderate consumption.

The only things I'm a little short of are Rifle Bullets, Rifle Primers, and Shotgun Primers. (5.56mm/.223, 7mm, .308) None of which are plentiful or reasonably priced at this time. I do however have plenty of loaded Rifle and Shotgun Ammunition on hand, so I'm not without! Have built my stockpile over the years, for just in case it is needed!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Try out some Wolf primers, i have used almost 3 thousand of them now and haven't had a bad one yet. I have used small pistol, large pistol, and small rifle. Check the prices at http://www.wideners.com they have em for $17.40 per thousand if you buy 5 thousand at a time.

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts
I guess you have to pay a hazmat fee on shipping? Prices are XLint, though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
NativeTexan said:
I guess you have to pay a hazmat fee on shipping? Prices are XLint, though.
Yes of course hazmat fees apply to any shipment of primers, but at those prices if you buy at least 5k at a time they end up still cheaper than paying $26+ to a local dealer. Same with powder, i usually buy from Powder Valley and i buy 16 pounds at a time and it comes out way cheaper even with hazmat than paying $25 a pound at the local dealers.

·
Administrator
18,273 Posts
Magtech Primers are also lower priced and provide the same performance as Winchester Primers.

·
Administrator
40,361 Posts
I've had good luck with Magtech primers. Only problem is my range shop is always sold out. End up taking the Winchester primers home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts