Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my usual reloading supply store today to get powder and primers. They had powder(blue dot). But no primers at all. The reason being Winchester apparently had government contracts and all primers were going to the war effort. CCI and Federal were in short supply and difficult to get. Just wanted to give a heads up so any fellow reloaders on this forum can get primers while they are still available.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I noticed this at the Sportsman's Warehouse too. There were plenty of small magnum and rifle but not small pistol except CCI and I already have enough of those. ???

·
Registered
110 Posts
Gosh, looks like my purchase of 10,000 small pistol primers a few months ago was a good thing. I only got that many because there was a great big sale on them. And I had no problem finding 5000 large pistol primers two weeks ago.

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
Primers are in short supply around here, too! However, that may be due to the fact that the only stocking GunShop in the area has always been lazy about stocking them.

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
We went through a genuine shortage over some years ago over rumors that Clinton was going to register sale, or some such BS. Everyone went out and hoarded primers and, as a result, we had a waiting list at Eller's Hunting Post in Victoria, Texas for primers. I sat around waiting for the phone call for weeks before it came. LOL I'm hoping your observations are just local, and I suspect so, as I've heard no rumors and Eller's is well stocked with primers, was there just the other day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Native Texan, I hope that it is just temporary and local. The the supply store that I was refering to only sell Powder, shot , and primers, no guns or reloading equip. So I figgered they had the inside scoop. I did go to another retailer and buy the last 2000 CCI spp they had (wanted winchester but no luck) and payed more than I should have but that is supply and demand.
Gene

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just checked Powder Valley (www.powdervalleyinc.com). It looks like all CCI and Winchester primers are in stock, but Federal and Remington supplies are extremely limited. They get shipments in daily, so check often if they don't currently have what you want in stock.

Granted, if you buy primers on the Net, you'll pay extra shipping - but if you can find some friends to go in with you, or you need a bunch at one time, it makes it worthwhile. I have ordered from Powder Valley in the past and received excellent service (and communication, as one of the items I ordered was in short supply).

I went this route simply because I got tired of the hit-miss scenario around town of finding the primers I needed. Now I'm set for awhile.

dogfood

1 - 8 of 8 Posts