Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally convicnced my wife that she could have the burnt ends of a prime rib and there wouldn't be any pink in them , much less the slices I want that could still "Moo" if you looked at them like I do. I know you want to cook them as hot as the fires of the neatherworlds as possible. Questions??? Gas Grill that will get to 800 degrees or Lump Charcoal that I can get to 600 degrees (in a ceramic cooker without baffle plates). Also, what seasoning and is it a rub or would you inject it.

Simpler question, anyone have a recipe? This will be my first prime rib attempt ever! I know to have plenty of horse radish either minced or a horse radish sauce (for me). Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Don't know or have the answers to your questions, but I sure plan to stay tuned in and learn a thing or two.

Thanks for asking!!!

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
Seasonings should be dry; salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary after a light wipedown with olive oil. You'll want to use kosher salt. YOU DO NOT INJECT A PRIME RIB ROAST...EVER.
Cooking times and temps depend on whether it's a standing rib roast with the actual bones attached, whether the bones have been frenched (trimmed up like in the fancy pictures), if it's a full boneless rib roast or if the cap has been removed and you just have the heart of the ribeye. The size also matters in regards to cooking time. Typical Prime Rib roasts are 3 or 4 bone unless you score a massive deal like my wife did on Sunday (Nolan Ryan Prime cut Angus prime rib roast trimmed up for $5.49/lb) where she got a full 7 bone. Cooking temps should probably be in the 375-450 range, not 6-800 max temps that you have available. I generally go 500 for about 40-45 mins then turn off and SEAL THE OVEN for an hour and a half. No looking, no peeking, no smelling, ONLY drooling allowed. Ideally you'll want a remote temperature probe. It should be done in a pan on a rack to allow complete air circulation around the roast. The burnt drippings make the best Au Jus you've ever had.
Rare - 120
Med Rare - 130
Medium - 135
Med Well - 140
You ruined it - 150+

Take the roast out of the fridge at least 1.5-2 hours before prep and cook time. this allows it to come up to room temp so you don't have such a massive swing in temps which will toughen the meat. Always stop the cooking process 5 or so degrees below your desired temp and allow to rest. the rest will push the internal temps up by that 5 degrees giving you a perfect roast. Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Rub it down with salt and pepper. Encase it in a kosher salt and water mixture (think cement) and roast in in the oven for a couple hours on low heat. Crack the salt coating off and serve it. Best prime rib ever. Hang on, I'll find the recipe.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
We just did a 4.5lb Rib roast last Saturday. Our local store with an actual butcher had them on sale. We have a roasting pan with a roasting rack in it and all I can say is OH BOY am I glad I'm a carnivore!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Cook-Prime-Rib/
This is more or less what I did. When you get the cut(if you don't have it already) ask them to leave the fat on. Cook it bone side down.

The meat nearest the bones tastes like butter.

I should add, in no way am I a cook, I've done this twice and I couldn't have turned it better either time.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
The salt rub is a good idea. Plain Kosher salt (not iodized) and ground pepper. Sear it if you want on the fat cap side (my preference), then roast it fat cap up at 375F until the internal temp reaches 120F (you DO have a roasting thermometer, right?) Roasting pan with a raised rack preferred. Then take it out and LET IT REST!! Up to 1/2hr to 3/4hr depending upon weight. Heating a meat protein makes it contract and all the internal fluids (juices) squeeze out to the extremities of the flesh. Letting it rest lets the proteins relax and the juices re-infiltrate back into the center of the flesh. Ever cut into a piece of meat after it has come right off the heat? Notice how after a minute or two it is laying in a pool of blood? Letting a roast rest gives you that nice pink color from edge to edge and nice juicy cut. Deglaze the pan with red wine (you ARE serving a nice Merlot or Cab? A Zin would also be appropriate) and then throw in a sprig of rosemary and a few sprigs of thyme. Add a cup or so of demi-glace if you have some (beef stock will suffice also) and bring it to a boil to boil off the alcohol. Strain the pan sauce and you have a nice jus to go over your prime rib. Classic French country cooking. Sounds like good eats!

And I would never, ever, EVER, NEVERNOHOW, inject a prime rib with anything!! Blasphemy!!! Also, some folks like horseradish with their prime rib. Not my thing as I think that horseradish overpowers the flavor of the beef. It IS a prime rib after all. But if some folks want horseradish, ok. That'll be $3.95 additional for a side of the stuff.

EDIT/ADD: Peacemakers point of taking the roast out of the reach-in and letting it come to room temp is absolutely correct (thanks Pm). You do not want to shock the flesh with a dramatic reefer to oven temperature shock. Even good to do with steaks; let them come to room temp (70-72F) before grilling them. Also, I prefer not to French my prime rib. Frenching removes the deckle from the end of the bone (that little fatty area at the end of a prime rib cut) that I think provides additional flavor and tenderness. However, a beautifully Frenched prime rib makes a really dramatic presentation. A Frenched prime rib cut is sometimes called a 'Kings Cut' or 'Tomahawk Cut' or 'Cowboy Cut' in restaurant parlance. But DO NOT put those silly paper frillies (known as 'Chop Frills') on the ends of the bone. Silly, if you ask me. Sometimes we Chefs come up with goofy ideas. Frilly paper booties on chicken legs and rib bones are one of them!

Bon Appetit!!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I personally like a natural gas grill, too lazy and impatient to do charcoal. Old friend from Texas years go would say " knock his horns off, wipe his butt and send that young bull in here, I'm hungry."

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
When it comes to Prime Rib I do what I do best... make reservations! I don't eat as much as I used to and I think it is easier and less expensive to sit in a nice restaurant and have someone else cook it, serve it, and clean up afterwards.

Don

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have dual remote temperature probes, these are actually fairly inexpensive, and are ideal for cooking in a ceramic Komado style lump charcoal cooker.

I always let any cut of beef get to room temp before cooking.

The remote temp probes allow me to keep a constant temp with the lump charcoal cooker without ever raising the lid of the cooker, which is a no-no when doing something other than grilling, as the lump charcoal cooker temps are controlled by the amount of intake air and exhaust out the top. Open the lid and you let a flood of air in that will raise the temperature when you close the lid and it will take a while for it to cool back down. I usually put one temp probe in the meat and the other through the exhaust cap to know what the cooking temperature is in the cooker. The remote temp or thermometers are suppose to have a range of 100' to the remote receiver, but exterior brick walls will cut down on the distance you can receive temps. The transmitter also has dual read outs as well and is placed on a side shelf at the cooker. It makes it easier to cook when it is really cold outside and you are trying to adjust the temperature prior to putting the meat on.

Also, the advantage to the ceramic cookers is keeping moisture in the meat, particularly when cooking poultry. I am looking forward to Christmas Dinner this year.

Reactions: BigBlue and jonrjen

·
Registered
14,677 Posts
Y'all are making me hungry!

I love Prime Rib, as long as people don't put "weird" aromatic flowery spices on it.

The simpler the better when it comes to beef!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Y'all are making me hungry!

I love Prime Rib, as long as people don't put "weird" aromatic flowery spices on it.

The simpler the better when it comes to beef!
Salt, pepper and maybe garlic salt if i fell the need. The flavor comes from the sear. Caramelizing you need high heat. I use high heat twice. At the start to lock in the moisture and right at the finish get that golden crust or "
Maillard reaction" .
Now i have read where searing does little to lock in moisture but i'm not sold on it. You need heat 250°+ to sear. I like 500° and stand over it as it only take 3 mins. Do not flip for 3 mins. You can move it around if its on a hot spot but it needs 3 mins to get the chemical effect of the Maillard reaction.

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
ok, it's been 2 days. Where are the Pics? Good bad or indifferent, we want, nay, we NEED the pics.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
ok, it's been 2 days. Where are the Pics? Good bad or indifferent, we want, nay, we NEED the pics.
Sorry, No time for PIX's when there are good eats. Ours was gone the next day! 2 of us ate 4.5lbs. in 2 days.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not doing one (cooking a prime rib) until Christmas Eve. Will post photos then. I did check with the meat market today, which advised of sales between now and then.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, here is my Prime Rib coated with butter, kosher salt, rosemary, cracked black pepper and minced garlic.

I have about decided to sear the outside after it cookks a while, instead of the beginning or at the end.

I am also considering doing the searing with a weed burning torch I use to light the lump charcoal. I will toss in a few chunks of Appricot wood I pruned from my tree.

I took it out of the fridge this morning so it can get to room temperature by this afternoon!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts