Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From time to time, at odd hours of the night, I find myself drooling over on line catalogs of firearms I don't yet have. But lately I've noticed that just about everyone is asking way too much. The current price of my doublestar hbar has gone up slightly, my mossberg 500 has increase a bit as well, but none have gone up like my saiga 223. I paid $275 or so for mine about 2 years ago and now you can't find one even thought they are selling for $350 and up. Makes me wish I would have bought the two that were in stock instead of one.

·
Registered
27,111 Posts
  • Real cost increases. Materials and labor are more expensive now than 2 years ago. I suspect that this is actually of little consequence. While increased consumption in growing markets does contribute to scarcity, the current economies in Europe and the United States are so poor that labor is in surplus and local consumption of materials is significantly down.
  • We're seeing the beginning of the hyper-inflation cycle that is the inevitable result of:
    1. "Quantitative Easing" - the printing of money for the convenience of the government rather than because it is needed by the economy.
    2. $15.5 trillion in straight debt and $117 trillion in unfunded liabilities. This cannot be paid back without hyperinflation. Even at the artificially low interest rates the government is paying its creditors, the interest payments currently exceeds revenues - that is one definition of broke. When, inevitably, the WRC (world reserve currency) is changed to the renminbi (¥), the U.S. will no longer be able to control interest rates and that rate will skyrocket - as will our deficit. Result: hyperinflation
    I believe that many smart people see this handwriting on the wall and are anticipating it in order to be able to move funds into hard assets.
  • Smart marketing. President obama has increased gun sales beyond belief. This scarcity driven by demand has led to an increase in price. To the extent that this is the cause, it will be either relieved or exacerbated after the election.
Take your pick. Heck, you can pick two or even three if you want.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll remain optimistic and choose to believe it's due to supply and demand.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Price increases are a sad state of the time's we're living in.

Many are driven by the increase in gasoline & diesel costs.

Which are unfortunately passed on to the consumer.

They also do NOT tend to come down even if the fuel prices do.

The last spike of over $4 a gallon gas was proof of that.

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
I'll remain optimistic and choose to believe it's due to supply and demand.
I hope that you're correct, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that the intentional devaluation of the dollar is currently underway.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The rise in cost of most everything is due to a multitude of factors. Hopefully one of those will be changing in the hear future.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
The rise in cost of most everything is due to a multitude of factors. Hopefully one of those will be changing in the hear future.
Like November??

·
Registered
15,646 Posts

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Saigas price varies widely by demand, just like anything else.

If you bought one (.223 or 7.62 x 39 ) two years ago for $275, you stole it if you bought it new. The last one I bought was 4 years ago and paid $299 and I shop hard. I did see a used one a month or two later at Gander Mountain for $229 and I should have then owned two of those suckers. Right after President BamBam was elected, they got to $399.

My Saiga 12, I bought new 6 years ago for $429. Since then, depending on when, I have seen them at two different periods of time they were $800 from individuals online, as there were none to be found anywhere.

My favorite LGS has had them for $679 lately, which is about $40 less then the shop down the street.

Gun sales are somewhat like real estate. There are National markets and local markets. A local market can be way out of the norm either direction from the National market.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Inflation is the only way we will ever be able to pay off our staggering national debt and that will only work if our politicians can get their runaway spending under control.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
When my local FFL put his March Flier out it said "Last Month for 2011 Prices!" Guess that means his new inventory he got last month will have increased prices on next months flier. I participated in a Live Online Firearms Auction. It was crazy how high the bids were going for, considering you could order one online for less money. There must have been shortage in that particular town because it was insane.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Saigas price varies widely by demand, just like anything else.

If you bought one (.223 or 7.62 x 39 ) two years ago for $275, you stole it if you bought it new. The last one I bought was 4 years ago and paid $299 and I shop hard. I did see a used one a month or two later at Gander Mountain for $229 and I should have then owned two of those suckers.
The funny thing is that the night before I placed my order, I saw one for $215 on another site. It was late and figure it would still be there the next day so I went to bed. Unfortunately it was not.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
So many reasons that prices are rising on everything. Y'all have hit the most salient of them. If you keep an eye on any given thing you purchase in a week,s time you will notice the difference. Time to get that garden started!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
As it pertains to firearms prices I think it's mostly because of supply and demand. Firearms sales are extremely brisk, and when demand rises so do prices. A recent article in "The Blaze" called obama "the greatest gun salesman in america", and here are some statistics from that article...

Since 2008...
* Ruger’s firearm sales have gone from $117 million to $232 million, an increase of 98%
* Winchester’s sales of ammunition have gone from $431.7 million to $572 million, an increase of 33%
* Federal excise taxes collected on the sale of new firearms and ammunition has risen 48.3%
* January 2012 was the 20th straight month of increases in NICS background checks compared to the same month in the previous year
* December 2011 saw over 1.41 million NICS background checks run, the most ever for a single month
* The few states which regularly report concealed carry permit numbers have seen increases in active permit holders ranging from 46% to 161%

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Being retired and living on a small pension and social security I see everything increasing in price, but my income remains the same!

Note how conviently the government figures the COLA increases in Social Security on the "CORE INDEX BASKET" and does not consider the increases in food and fuel ( gas or heating ) prices. These are two of the big expenditures for retirees!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Inflation is the only way we will ever be able to pay off our staggering national debt and that will only work if our politicians can get their runaway spending under control.
That and let's let everyone pay their fair share. I am a firm believer in a flat income tax. Everyone pays the same tax rate with no deductions, loopholes, etc. Wealthy people spend more on tax lawyers than they pay in taxes and the flat tax would eliminate that. But I'm just an old retired soldier, WTH do I know, lol!

·
Super Moderator
40,396 Posts
We get notices at work all the time fuel prices are going up we have to raise our prices. Lets see gas hit $4.00/gal how long ago, prices went up. Gas went down, prices stayed the same. Gas is back to $4.00/gal again notices of price increases are already coming in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts