Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know litterally NOTHING about rossi firearms. I was at a pawn shop that I frequent this last week and one of the guys i deal with came out from the back and handed me a stainless octagon barrel 38/357 lever (Puma if I remember correctly) and they were asking 450.00 for it. I'm curious as to what a fair market price is for it, and if anything can be said for these. good or bad.. thanks

Gee

·
Registered
384 Posts
Prehaps someone with more knowledge than me on this subject should answer, but I was under the impression that Rossi only made combo and single shot rifles. The Puma is, if I remember correctly, imported by Legacy Sprots International. Their lever action rifles list for about $700 to $800. My local dealer had a new one (I beleive it was a .357) for just under $600 for sale when I stop in last Sunday.

·
Super Moderator
35,456 Posts
I think you can find new Rossi 92s for under 600 bucks from what I've read. I haven't priced 'em in a while. I bought my .357 back in the 80s and it set me back 197 bucks. ;D Sure is a nice rifle, but I don't know if I'd wanna dump six bills on one. That's a little steep. I don't shoot the thing that much, but it's fun at the range. I reload, though, and the thing slings brass a half mile. I like to practice with it, though, off hand shooting, hunting holds over the shooting sticks. I cast .357 and .38 special bullets out of range scrap and I reload a lot cheaper for this caliber. .30 cal Noslers are getting way expensive to be plinking with my .308. That's one thing I love the Rossi for, the ability to shoot cast bullets and do the job. I killed one deer with it some years ago with a cast 158 grain Lee bullet from a gas check mold. I push that bullet to 1900 fps and get no leading. Sweet. I also load a 105 SWC in a light .38 special load to 900 fps which is a suitable substitute for .22 LR applications. It's quite accurate, minute of squirrel at 50 yards.

Yeah, they're fun guns and quite useful, I just don't know if they're worth what they cost anymore. At 200 bucks, I got one, but they've gone way up since then. I'm thinking maybe it's the popularity of CAS shooting. They're in demand now. They're WILDLY popular for cowboy shooting, so perhaps that's driven the pricing.

·
Super Moderator
35,456 Posts
Oh, BTW, if you get one, figure on another hundred plus to have a decent receiver sight installed. The rear sight hasn't improved, really SUX. I adapted a dove tailed .22 aperture sight to mine for nothing. I got lucky that it fit. My son-in-law has a .45 Colt Rossi he picked up has a Williams receiver sight fitted, very nice! He got it used and it already had the sight on it. Not sure what he gave for it.

The Marlin 94 is a nice alternative, but they're high, too. However, I very much prefer the looks, lines, and wood of the Rossi to the Marlin. Personal taste I guess, but I can sit for hours and admire the lines of that Rossi, the deep bluing, the oil rubbed walnut. :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
NativeTexan,

Any .357 rifle is almost impossible to find around here, used or otherwise. Sportsman's Warehouse here can't keep them on the shelf and Gander Mt only has one occassionally and they go for $499.00 there. The last gun show here, I saw them selling for about $50.00 less than new. Very popular with the cowboy shooters here. Great little pick-up or camp gun. Good for deer here too, under 100yds.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I just picked up a Rossi 92 in .357 for about $415 OTD. I spotted it on Gallery of Guns, called a local shop, and they ordered it.

Coulda saved the $15 in tax if I had ordered it from Bud's Guns and just had the local shop do the transfer (free transfers!).

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
I think $450 for a used gun from a pawn shop might be a bit high. $375 -$400 would be more like it. It depends to some degree on the gun market in your area, though. If that's an item that will sell quick, then that price may not be too far off.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Walk in with 4 Bens in your pocket, lay them on the table, and say, "Take it or leave it." I almost guarantee he'll take it. I LOVE pawn shops for this very reason. You show the dough, and normally they let it go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi! Having just paid $420.00 for a NEW Rossi .357 16 inch big loop carbine in blue, I can tell you that Pumas are the "high end like browning" lever actions, at $900.00 and some! Hope you decide , well.

·
Registered
741 Posts
the r92 is the gun that is being produced now. its available new from davidsons for 500. i would say 450 is a fair price for one in good condition. thats fair, not great. and personally i would shell out the extra 50 and get a full lifetime warranty from davidsons. rossi rifles only come with a one year from the factory. they may be owned by taurus. but they dont support the rifles the same as taurus pistols. the rossi pistols on the other hand have a lifetime. go figure.

·
Administrator
40,380 Posts
That's just like mine, but mine ain't stainless and has the 20" barrel. $525 sounds reasonable. You're gonna like that rifle. Fun to shoot! :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I placed an order with Steve over at Steve's Gunz. Better sights are on the way(Marbles Ghost Ring). And his DVD kit for the action job. I'm getting rid of the phoney safety and plugging the hole.And bought a large loop lever.This should be a fun winter project! ! ! :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Smokewagon™ said:
That's just like mine, but mine ain't stainless and has the 20" barrel. $525 sounds reasonable. You're gonna like that rifle. Fun to shoot! :thumb: :thumb:
I replaced the mag follower and the safety has been plugged. I'll do the action job after the New Year. Bought a 3/4 big loop lever for it too. :) Love the Marbles Ghost Ring rear sight.

·
Administrator
40,380 Posts
The safety doesn't bother me, but I still may replace the cheesy BB gun sight it came with. Works well, just don't like the way it looks.
What's involved in removing the safety and installing that plug?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Its easy. I just levered the bolt back til the pin was easy to drive out. Be careful of the spring and ball that will try to fly away when you pull the safety up out of the bolt.Then just replace with the plug and drive the pin back in. The plug has a notch cut into it that you line up with the pin hole. I worked the point of the plug over a bit as it was kind of sharp. Used a fine file and then touched it to my wire wheel on my small grinder. (my plug is SS) If yours is blued you'd want to have a blue pen to touch it up.
I'm used to the safety notch on leverguns, so don't need another safety to worry about. It also smooths up the top of the gun, the 'wings' on that safety looked like a cloth grabber to me. The Marble Ghost Ring rear sight also is a natural to me so I feel more at home with it than the factory sight.
I have an order on the way from Midway. As soon as its here I'll be doing the rest of Steve's improvements from the DVD. I'll try to remember to take pics as I go......

·
Administrator
40,380 Posts
Cool. I noticed on Steves sight, that he has a peep sight that will mount in place of the safety instead of the plug. I've visited his site in the past, but he has several new items now.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
You guys are giving me the itch to buy a 357 lever. I looked at a Henry 22 LA the other day and it looks kind of lonely sitting on the rack, maybe it needs a new home???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts