Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in aquiring a model 85-probably used. What's a good price? I don't care if It's SS or blued. I don't have much interest in the ultra lites either. If it matters I'm located in Michigan.
???

·
Super Moderator
35,285 Posts
I would think 200-225 would be a good used price in very good. They go for just under $300 new. But, I'm in south Texas. There is regional variation in prices.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kind of what I was thinking. I just got back from a gun show today & all they had was new ones. I never had an 85 are they considered a J frame?

·
Super Moderator
35,285 Posts
Not technically a J frame since it ain't a smith, but it's pretty much a Smith and Wesson M36 which is a J frame, same size anyway. I have an Ultra Lite, very accurate little revolver and the sweetest out of the box trigger I've ever owned. It beats my Smiths, beats my Rugers, only guns I've ever handled that beat it for smooth trigger and controllable in DA is a custom smithed and magnaported M29 Smith and Wesson that a friend has and a Colt Python another friend bought when I was roomin' with him in College. Don't rich college kids miff you off? ;D

Really, though, mine's a fantastic little 17 ounce .38. I liked it so much I had a little custom work done, installed a black dove tailed front sight. I don't know why all fixed sight guns don't have driftable, replaceable sights in various lengths. I had an elevation wire installed for long range work and for shooting super light loads. This little gun is accurate enough to ring a 12" gong consistently at 100 yards. ;D

·
Registered
19 Posts
smooth1 said:
I'm interested in aquiring a model 85-probably used. What's a good price? I don't care if It's SS or blued. I don't have much interest in the ultra lites either. If it matters I'm located in Michigan.
???
I know it is not a 85, but I just bought a SS 605 for $210.00. I think that I got a pretty good deal. At least I love the gun.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Smooth 1 the firing line gun range in Westland Mi. has a blued M85 in there case right now it's used and looks real good they are asking 225.00 and I think maybe you could get it for a little less. I looked it over real good yesterday ( Sun. ) when I was there I already have a 605 SSCH but if you don't look at it soon ( Wed. or so ) it maybe residing in my dresser drawer.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Firing Line is located on Hix Rd. just north of Ford Rd. Hix road is the first light west of Newburg and they are on the web www.thefiringlineguns.com I think

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm looking at the SOG catalogue right now, (and mind, these are dealer prices....) They have the 85 in STS for 289.95 and blue for 259.95. The Ultra Lite prices are the same 289/stainless and 259/blue. Anywhere around 300 is great at retail, the MSRP is 379 to 399 for this gun. Just a little inside info for you...my FFL lets me browse the trade mags and catalogues, so I usually keep up on pricing info!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
well Smooth1 you waited to long cause that M85 I mentioned above now resides in my nightstand drawer got it used for 175.00 out the door. It came with the original grips and a set of boot grips on it.I have a 605 in SS and now the 85 in blue/black so I call them salt & pepper.

·
Registered
111 Posts
it shoots well I can hold about a 2 1/2" group at 10 yds single action with +p's theres a pic in the gallery of it along with my 605 with laser grips.
Hey while I'm at it does anyone need a set of stock grips for the Taurus small frame revo's I got 3 sets laying here, and I could probably be talked out of a set.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts