Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Previous Ammo Prices

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  KLo 
#1 ·
Since I just got my PT 140 last month, I hadn't been watching ammo prices to much as I really didn't know what I was going to get caliber wise.
Any way can someone fill in approximately what .40 was going for per round last summer? I have found a couple of places that ran me about 45-60 cents a round including shipping. Nothing local, even at Walmart yet, so I am at the mercy of mail order but don't want to feed the mess that is going on at the moment.

#2 ·
Prices are generally 40% to 70% higher now. Some are gouging us but most just need to maintain a certain level of cash flow to keep from laying off employees. If my sales decrease because of reduced supply, I will need to increase my prices to adjust to the reduced sales volume.

#3 ·
For new, factory-loaded, plinking ammunition in .40 S&W, I'm used to paying something in the range of $0.30 to $0.40 per round. (Of course, this varies depending on bullet weight, brand, quantity, location, retail/wholesale/online, etc.) If memory serves, the last stuff I bought (about six weeks ago, now), was between $0.39 and $0.40 per round.

But, that said, there has been plenty that I just refused to buy because it was priced well above my current demand curve. ;)

#4 ·
Grey Owl
I have about 100 rds of brass, because I'm a brass vulture, but no bullets, because I'm not into 40 cal. Nor have I researched powder, but if you would consider reloads I might be able to keep you from starving. E-mail or call if you like.

#5 · (Edited)
Last summer UMC Mega 250 rd. .40 cost me $77/box; in December $82/box; yesterday $87/box. Wish I could give details on 9mm, but none available. But last summer same UMC size 9mm $52 +/-; Dec. was $57; I expect now $62 +/- if they ever get - this all from Wally World. The prices before sales taxe.

#6 ·
Again, when I have been able to find the ammo I shoot from my local Walmart or family sporting goods chain and even Gander and Dicks, it has been very fairly priced. I have not seen the gouging but there has been a little bump in prices. The LGS guy almost has to jack his prices up because that and guns are usually all he sells. He doesn't have the high-marked up clothing that the others make a killing on. That said, here is what I saw yesterday (all available in limited amounts): CCI Blazer 22lr - $25 for brick of 500 - limit one. Blazer Brass 9mm - box of 50 for $15 - limit 3. PMC 223 55gr fmj - box of 20 - $10 - limit 3. Most other stuff was also available for pre-panic prices - limit 3.

#11 ·
When I was a kid .22 LRs were $0.50 cents per box of 50.... its all relative. I was broke then and I'm still broke today.

#12 ·
I don't know if this will help much but, about a month ago I bought 1000 rounds of 9mm Blazer Brass 124gr from Bulk ammo. At that time it was $450. I saw the exact same ammo on there this last week and it was going for $665 for 1000. To me that's gouging! Most of the single box ammo is considerably higher than at other places.'

I think Luckygunner is owned by the same people as bulkammo as they almost always have the same brand and type of ammo and it's always the same price... too high IMO.

They do have more ammo available more often than most other sites I've been looking at but I don't think that makes it worth the extra cost.

#13 ·
I don't know if this will help much but, about a month ago I bought 1000 rounds of 9mm Blazer Brass 124gr from Bulk ammo. At that time it was $450. I saw the exact same ammo on there this last week and it was going for $665 for 1000. To me that's gouging! Most of the single box ammo is considerably higher than at other places.'

I think Luckygunner is owned by the same people as bulkammo as they almost always have the same brand and type of ammo and it's always the same price... too high IMO.

They do have more ammo available more often than most other sites I've been looking at but I don't think that makes it worth the extra cost.
Now in my area, the Blazer Brass I see in 9mm is almost always 115gr fmj. Pre-panic that had been selling for $20/50 (or $400/1000) at Gander and $15/50 (or $300/1000) at a small, family owned chain. The little chain just made it $17/50 (or $340/1000) last week. As long as they stay under the Gander price I will cut them slack. I wonder what I would do in their place? Everything else has stayed pretty level or increased a couple of bucks there.

#15 ·
When I was a kid, my dad used to buy bricks of .22lr's at .... -- drum roll please ---...

$3.99

I remember 50 rounds of 9mm for $6.99

Heck, just back in 2009/10 you could get 555 packs of .22s for $13.95 wally mart. (and i did!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.