Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first compact gun (xds 45 3.3 barrel). and am looking for a good self defense round that will expand at the lower velocity low flash will be a plus reasonable fallow up shots would be nice as well

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I use the 230gr Golden Sabers, they are the closest to fmj profile wise and have been the most reliable for me.

Reactions: Montkun

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I do like Golden Sabers, that round has performed very well in my 945. Granted the barrel is about an inch longer at 4.25", but most major manufacturers try to make their products perform over a wide variety of weapons. The key is finding which ammo functions the best in your weapon and feels good for you to shoot.

I'll also throw in a vote for 230 gr. Winchester PDX1's, but some feed ramps don't like the 'petal' design of their tips and experience loading issues.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
And old axiom goes..."The 9mm may expand, but the .45 never shrinks"

The point being the venerable 102 year old combat proven 1911 in .45 ACP made it's reputation using GI hardball.

That being said I don't worry too much about this round mushrooming, braccoling or carroting. Most all of today's premium JHP's work the same on the street.

Right now my 3.5" barreled Taurus PT-145 is loaded with 165 gr. Federal Hydra Shoks only because they were on sale when I bought them at Wally World.

I always suggest one carry what one shoots the best in their particular gun. Which means you're gonna have to spend a few pesos on ammo to get to that point. Good luck in your quest. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
And old axiom goes..."The 9mm may expand, but the .45 never shrinks"

The point being the venerable 102 year old combat proven 1911 in .45 ACP made it's reputation using GI hardball.

That being said I don't worry too much about this round mushrooming, braccoling or carroting. Most all of today's premium JHP's work the same on the street.

Right now my 3.5" barreled Taurus PT-145 is loaded with 165 gr. Federal Hydra Shoks only because they were on sale when I bought them at Wally World.

I always suggest one carry what one shoots the best in their particular gun. Which means you're gonna have to spend a few pesos on ammo to get to that point. Good luck in your quest. :thumb:

Yup, I concur....

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I use Corbon Powrball in my PT 145. It feeds just like FMJ and feeds extremely well

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I like Winchester PDX 1, but as others have said, spend some money on a bunch of "premium" ammo and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Speaking of ammo on sale. I was at my LGS looking for some cheap .44 Special for a new pistol I have, when my eyes caught on some Taurus Copper Bullets on the shelf for $17.49. For those who have never seen this stuff, it is 185 grain Barnes TAC-XP copper JHP loaded into PMC nickel brass and comes in a box of 20. It is low flash and runs about 950 fps out of my PT-1911 which really loves this stuff. I snapped up a couple of boxes as the Barnes TAC-XP bullets alone are more than that and the last time I saw the Taurus ammo it was over $30 a box. This stuff wasn't sitting out like most of the ammo on sale, but on the back shelves with only the price marking it.

I thought this stuff should be great in the new SA XDS and my SIL quickly took a box of it home to tryout in his XDS.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Speaking of ammo on sale. I was at my LGS looking for some cheap .44 Special for a new pistol I have, when my eyes caught on some Taurus Copper Bullets on the shelf for $17.49. For those who have never seen this stuff, it is 185 grain Barnes TAC-XP copper JHP loaded into PMC nickel brass and comes in a box of 20. It is low flash and runs about 950 fps out of my PT-1911 which really loves this stuff. I snapped up a couple of boxes as the Barnes TAC-XP bullets alone are more than that and the last time I saw the Taurus ammo it was over $30 a box. This stuff wasn't sitting out like most of the ammo on sale, but on the back shelves with only the price marking it.

I thought this stuff should be great in the new SA XDS and my SIL quickly took a box of it home to tryout in his XDS.
I have a box of that stuff, my question is do they still make it? I have heard it was discontinued. I hope thats wrong because I like it too.

Edit: Here is a link to the Taurus Copper Ammo: http://www.taurususa.com/products-ammunition.cfm It looks like they still make it (at least i didn't read on the website "discontinued" or anything), but I haven't seen it around here for a long time, (and thats before the current ammo situation)

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I looked at my boxes and there is no manufactured dates, so this could be a close out of stock my LGS picked up somewhere. BTW, the box says they used Hodgdon powder to load them.

Those Barnes bullets alone would push new pricing too high for my blood now. Luckily, I picked up 10 boxes of this stuff years ago for SD use and have only shot up a couple of those boxes since. General Bullets makes their COP bullet in .45 that should make a nice and somewhat cheap SD reload for a short barrel.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm too inexperienced to really help, however, this is what I have in my PT145. I was able to get an LE sized box (50 rds) of Speer Gold Dot 230gr. If I could have found them when I was looking, I'd have gotten the Short Barrel version. But as is noted in a later post, 9mm may not expand, but .45 never shrink. So even if the Gold Dot doesn't expand to it's fullest, there should be at least .45 in hole after any "social work" is done.

I suspect almost any bullet coming out of a .45ACP will get the job done. Mostly it is whether it's just a "good" job as opposed to a "great" job.

I just got my first compact gun (xds 45 3.3 barrel). and am looking for a good self defense round that will expand at the lower velocity low flash will be a plus reasonable fallow up shots would be nice as well

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
well if reloading then the world lays at your feet (well if you can find projectiles) COP , Barnes both make a all coper projectile and i think its in the 135 - 150 grain or so weight if you are worried about speed, of course all copper projectiles are not really so dependent on high speed to work.
COP also offers loaded ammo but i don't know what weight in 45 acp.
Myself I use the 200 grain Gold dot in most all my 45's, from a 3.1 inch defender size 1911 to full 5 inch barrled 45 acp, it seems to do a quite adequate job in all.
of course hornady makes a 185 grain ammo as well.
actually most manufactures offer a lighter weight projectile in 45 now, Speer has the short barrel ammo as well.
actually the best ammo out of my 3 inch 1911 is the old federal classic 175 grain self defense round, its very reasonabally priced, but it is an older design hollow point but man does it ever shoot good in my 45's.

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
In follow up of the "use what works best in your carry firearm" wisdom, I haven't found ANY ammo which doesn't work well in my carry firearms. I carry PT145 swapping it out occasionally for the PT140 and Hornady Critical Defense works well in both. Oh, and I only train defensive shooting up to 15 yards; anything beyond that I consider target shooting but not likely to be a realistic expectation for SD - and thats just me. You do what works best for you. But, I also have Speer Gold Dot, Hornady TAP and Hornady Critical Duty but, while I train with them, I use only the C Defense when actually carrying.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts