Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gun shop has a pre- 64, 30-30 for $300.The mechanism is tight,bore looks good.10 being the best this gun is a 6 IMO .Any opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What happened in 1965 that made the Model 94's before that more desirable?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
What happened in 1965 that made the Model 94's before that more desirable?
They changed some manufacturing processes to try to keep costs down... here is a quote from another forum (author unknown)

Many don't realize it, but up to 1964, about ALL Winchester guns were essentially "semi-custom, production guns." There was a lot of hand work that went into them, and contrary to the image of "little old men with files," many of the production line workers were women. It has been said that women, on average, had a softer touch and more deft "feel" for many operations. The factory was run with long, wide leather belts that powered much of their equipment. They'd have a "pattern" action on a table where the workers could take the machined forgings, and fit them. They'd go to that one pattern action, and take measurements, and try to duplicate them as closely as possible. We'll not see the pre-64's, and in particular, the pre-war guns ever again. The pre-64, and most particularly the pre-war Winchesters, want only that you pick them up and work them, and listen to the sounds, and notice the feel, to separate them from the rest of the pack.
That seems like a good price but see if you can find out the exact year of production!!
Get the serial number and go here:
http://armscollectors.com/sn/winlookup.php?file=win1894.dat

·
Registered
846 Posts
Pre '64s were the best sorta like the movie "Winchester'73"

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I have a pre 64 that was my deer gun, now it's a safe ranger. But the ones made after 64 seemed a little lighter too, and a 30-30 has too much kick to be in a light gun. I don't know how those winchesters in the ninetys ever sold with their cross bolt safety and plastc like weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts