Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going into a dark place, with no easy way out................

I've got a water leak under the house I have to fix today.

If I ever buy another manufactured home, I don't care about the expense,
it's going on a concrete slab. I HATE crawling around in the mud.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Prayers sent brother. If you need to talk PM me your number.

Did not see the plumbing part of the post. I'm probably the last person you want ask plumbing advise from. Carry on. :D

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Look at the bright side:

You probably washed away all the spiders and snakes.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Amen, no fun, older the house the more interesting it becomes. My old house is well over 60, has steel, copper and PVC plumbing. Replacing everything with PVC as repairs are needed. Much easier to work with.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Good luck brother.

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Oh, how well I remember the last time I had to do that. 45 years ago it was, and your post brought back some memories that are as unpleasant today as they were then. Ugh! Prayers sent on your behalf, and if it's too much to bear, well, we're here for you.

Not that any of us are going to volunteer to come out and do the job for you, but we are here for you. Truly.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Way to scare the crap out of me!! The long pause was a gut bomb!

Good luck down under M8!!!! :eek:

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
24,606 Posts
I know a guy-------

·
Administrator
39,708 Posts
If I ever buy another manufactured home, I don't care about the expense,
it's going on a concrete slab. I HATE crawling around in the mud.
I hate any kind of plumbing problems, but a leak under pier and beam, is a lot easier and cheaper to repair, than a leak underneath a slab. Good luck, and beware of critters, large and small!

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Good luck with your repair. When I was first married more than 40 years ago we lived in a manufactured home. I spent a fair amount of time crawling around under it to fix various problems with plumbing, wiring, and insulation. Not fun, but better than living without water, lights, or heat! Good luck!

·
8,537 Posts
Oh yes that dark wet place full of painful opportunities. The first house we bought was built over the remnants of what I thought was an old farm house. The crawl space was over 10 feet deep in some places. Our first Thanks giving we invited family over - the first problem was the central heat died - It was a cold November in Kansas. I was able to find a hardware store open in teh next small town over - got a universal sensor/thermostat and installed - it worked. We survived Turkey dinner. However had the inlaws stay overnight due to the terrible weather. Next morning the wife tells me we have very low water pressure. So I open the access door to teh crawl space and can;t see anything..hmm lower the flashlight a bit more and discovered water. The 8-10 foot deep crawl space was completely under water. To appreciate the pain this was to drain - the crawl space was 120 feet long , 30 feet wide and anywhere from 6-10 feet deep. The lake laughed at my shop vac - so I had to rent a pump. An entire day was spent pumping the water out to the front drive. Slogged around in the mud under the house and had to fix 4 leaks in copper, just so I could turn the water back on.
Two months later it happened again in the dead of a very bad Kansas winter. I asked a plumber friend to help me this time thinking maybe my copper sweating skills were not up to snuff. But no - my repairs were fine - I had two new leaks - Well the copper lines had been run along the north side of the house just inches from the outside wall, so really no amount of repairs would solve the problem. So we re-plumbed the entire hot/cold runs swinging the pipes over closer to the middle of the house. After that was done we stuffed insulation around the pipes and wrapped a few heating cords around the entry lines. This got me through the rest of that brutal winter. Then on the first warmup- I built a 6 foot privacy fence - which blocked the Kansas north breeze from hitting the side of the house. That is how I learned to be a plumber - once things had completely dried out - I went down to investigate the remnants of that old structure - It had some old train station stuff and even a few old dried up posters - the house was about 200 feet from a train track. Found out a few years later the old structure was indeed an old train station for postal purposes in the old days.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Good luck.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Watch out for snakes, skunks, opossums, and spiders!

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I can build a house from the ground up. I can build the forms for the concrete foundation, frame it, do the sheetrock/drywall, do the flooring paint it put the trim up, build the cabinets and the freaking furniture even put the roof on, if it isn't too high, BUT I HATE PLUMBING. worse yet I HATE FIXING PLUMBING.

You have my deepest sympathy. Better you than me. I turn into the Jerry Lewis of water flow.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Move up here to Michigan, then you will understand the value of a basement.... Shiver.gif

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Happy trails buckwheat.. Better you then me. I feel your pain somewhat.:eek:

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the prayers, and stories. Actually one
of the easier plumbing fixes I've ever had to do.

Only ONE trip to the hardware store which makes
me wonder what I missed. Good plumbing job is
usually at least two trips with up to six not unusual.

PEX pipe with a GOOD crimp tool makes these things easy.
Found a great deal on a crimp tool back in June and grabbed
it. Glad I did.

Got it all done. Everything is holding pressure,
right now.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
If it makes you feel better, it's raining today and I seem to have developed not just one, but two roof leaks on opposite sides of the house.

I think this is going to end up being a new roof.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts