Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with 9mm PPU ammo? I just picked up 4 boxes 115 gr fmjs (the only ammo I can find lately) and wont have the opportunity to get to the range until the weekend.

I understand it is Serbian made? Just looking for a heads up to know what to expect and look for.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
new one on me, but then i'm new to guns. :confused: ..............i would have to think twice about getting anything that was called pu. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
It's fine, they make Academy Sports Monarch house brand ammo. I've shot enough of it to be comfortable with it. Some say it smells like burning armpit hair but I never noticed that. But then again I shoot outdoors.

Prvi Partizan Ammunition

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Yeah, my experience is it's the brass cased Prvi Partizan (Serbian) ammo - I bought a bunch at WalMart a while back.
Shoots fine, never had any issues, didn't seem "dirty". The Monarch steel cased stuff is what I feel is the "stinky" stuff.
Still shoots fine, just... odiferous.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I've shot quite a bit of Privi Partisan, and they are one of the few ammo manufactures in the world that make the harder to find military rifle calibers of WW I & II. I'd sure take it over Winchester White Box, good ammo, but some say it stinks when shot! Wonder who came up with that burning armpit hair description??? :rolleyes: Anyhow, it is actually the mainstay of my .357 Mag ammo larder, as it is the most reasonable .357 158 grain semi-jacketed hollow-point there is, and you can't get the 158 grain in UMC or Winchester White box.

Like Davy Jones once sang, "I'm a believer!" For folks who are in a time of not being able to be just real picky, it's a lot better than a lot of ammo out there and it is brass, so it can be reloaded.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've shot it in 45acp and I really liked it. I have a box of 40 cal that I plan on running through my 24/7 during my next range visit. Wasn't overly dirty when I shot the 45, every round went bang and no failures whatsoever. I split a box of 50 between an XD45 Tactical and a Rock Island 1911 GI.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have never shot ppu before but I also just picked some up in 223 today $8 a box of 20. The price did not seem bad for it being brass. I am glad that no one has anything bad to say about it other then the smell, I hope to buy more tomorrow.... 3 box a day limit

sent using Taptalk Droid

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have bought 3 boxes as well, because that was all that was available. If it shoots as well as Tulammo or better, I will be happy. I am learning to be happy with what I can get my hands on.

Reactions: YankeeGunner

·
Registered
549 Posts
Anyone have any experience with 9mm PPU ammo? I just picked up 4 boxes 115 gr fmjs (the only ammo I can find lately) and wont have the opportunity to get to the range until the weekend.

I understand it is Serbian made? Just looking for a heads up to know what to expect and look for.

Thanks!
I've shot it quite a bit through my 709 and my SD9VE

No problems at all!!

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I bought several boxes of PPU 380 back during the last gun scare when ammo got hard to find. I sold it when I sold my last 380 pistol but what I did shoot of it was fine.

·
Registered
37,357 Posts
It's fine, they make Academy Sports Monarch house brand ammo. I've shot enough of it to be comfortable with it. Some say it smells like burning armpit hair but I never noticed that. But then again I shoot outdoors.
Well first let me say so there is no mistake about this!
i have smelled quite a few things burning but never stuck my nose under someones armpit , especially one that was on fire, so i will take all your word for that!
I have shot quite a bit of Prvi ammo and My nieghbor shoots almost exclusively Monarch ammo, so i get a bunch of 380, 9 mm , 45 acp brass from him. he has no complaints with it and I have no complaints with the brass.
Remember that Europian countries likely have been making ammo a lot longer than America has.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Smell and origin aside, my TCP has shot several boxes of .380 PPU and they've all chambered, fired, and ejected perfectly. It might not be quite as accurate as my PDX1 carry ammo, but it's pretty close. I was nervous about it when I first used it, but now I actually look for it because of my positive experience with it.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
For my AK, that's all I shoot because it's the cheapest to acquire. Never a problem. Of course, the AK is not a MOA rifle, but the PPU stuff works just fine out to 100 yarrds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts