Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had an power outage at our place this morning and my PC, laptop, TV, DVD, iPad & my new surround sound music system were all shut down.
Then I discovered that my iPhone battery was dead and to top it off it was snowing outside, so I couldn't even go play golf.
I went into the kitchen to make coffee and then I remembered that this also needs power, so I talked with my wife for a few hours.
She seems like a nice person

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
My wife and I did the same thing last year when the power went out. Lit the oil lamps on the fireplace mantle and had a most enjoyable conversation.

She is really a nice lady. When the power came back on, we agreed that we'd have to do this again, sometime. ;)

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
That's nice.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
When we moved to the country 18-years ago we often lost power. We used to light the candles, cook dinner on the gas cook top, fire up the battery boom box and open a bottle of wine. We even danced. It's sad to say that the age of romance is dead. These days I'm with samkent; I dig out the generators. :yeahbaby01:

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
We have oil lamps and the wood stove, and a BIG battery operated light so that we can cuddle together on the couch with the two doggies and read to each other when the power goes out. It's just really inconveneient not to hve water, so we have some jugs stored for just such an occasion! Yes, life in the fast lane has spoiled many of us...

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
We had an power outage at our place this morning and my PC, laptop, TV, DVD, iPad & my new surround sound music system were all shut down.
Then I discovered that my iPhone battery was dead and to top it off it was snowing outside, so I couldn't even go play golf.
I went into the kitchen to make coffee and then I remembered that this also needs power, so I talked with my wife for a few hours.
She seems like a nice person
Oh great! Nine months from now we're gonna be drowning in little crying Vikings fans.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
One time the power went out just as the wife was fixing the evening meal, electric range. We had a wood stove and our 3 young sons were amazed that mom fried chicken and cooked mashed potatoes and chicken gravy , also some corn on the heating stove.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Sounds like a nice way to spend the day!

Creek

·
Registered
13,938 Posts
The wife and I went camping a couple of years ago. Nice out of the way park, down in a valley. Not TV reception and only 1 radio station that could be received. It covered Poka to church to country and news. We played a lot of board games, talked and took some nice walks. One of the best camping trips I was ever on.

·
Registered
24,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh great! Nine months from now we're gonna be drowning in little crying Vikings fans.
That ain't gonna happen at my age. Already had that experience three times and that is enough.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Years ago, just a couple of months after I move back to the country, we got hit with a huge storm. There was some warning and while I hadn't fully settled in yet I was somewhat ready. I had pulled a rack of ribs out of the freezer and was baking them in the electric oven. (no gas lines around here) when the power went out. I put them in my Dutch oven and finished them in the fireplace, which was built with that option in mind.

The storm, with beach-scouring winds lasted for 3 days. During one break, on a hunch, I grabbed some "gear" and headed to the beach. I found that the storm had scoured out a rocky area and trapped a lot of critters in impromptu "tide pools". I gathered a seafood smorgasboard, mussels, crabs, clams, rockfish, and some seaweed and took it back to the house for a fireplace cookout. everything with a shell went into the pot with spices and simmered in the fireplace under the seaweed and the fish into a frying pan over my Coleman stove. One of the best meals I've ever had.

Sometimes, what can seem like a big problem can have it's benefits if you have the right attitude.

Nothing like some time away from the electronics, and a little "simple living" to put things in perspective.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I took an extra week of vacation so I could take mine to breakfast, lunch, range, and help around the house. I wonder if it will be picked up by mainstream media.Going to get Pho at the moment.

I may even give her a hug. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts