Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using 6.9 gr. of AA 7 (start load) for 124 gr. FMJ projectiles, COAL 1.145". These cartridges shoot quite satisfactorily, perhaps a little high due to muzzle rise. That's fixable by using a stronger grip.

When fired, the cartridges have some burn marks on the outside, more so than when I use commercial ammo. Judging by the thickness of the residue on my feed ramp, it burns cleaner than Freedom Munitions 115 gr. ammo, and is comparable to brand name ammo. I also get some unburned powder in the frame of the pistol (PT809). I know some unburned powder is normal, but AA 7 is very fine, and it has a tendency to get into those crevices I can't get to. I can blow it out with Gunscrubber, but I don't want to do that on routinely. Is this something I need to worry about?

I'm about finished with this bottle. Should I choose a different powder, or is AA 7 suited for my application? Do I need a faster powder that has less residue? Should I increase the charge to get higher pressure and a cleaner burn? I looked at AA 5, and I need less powder, about 5 gr. (0.33 mL), well below half the volume of a 9 mm case (0.86 mL). A double charge will not overflow, but a triple charge will. On the upside, this powder seems to be quite forgiving, with a wide (almost 1 grain) working range. I chose AA 7 for the same reason (wide working range), as well as how it is impossible to double charge with.

Could you guys also help me rationalize the following load data (from AA):

No 5 115 BRY RNDS 5.7 1,023 6.5 1,145 33,667 1.130
No 5 115 RAN RN 4.8 1,017 5.9 1,150 33,854 1.140

With Rainiers, you need need less powder at a longer minimum OAL to get essentially the same pressures/velocities as Berry's. That seems a little strange if you assume that a 115 gr. plated projectile from either manufacturer should be the same in weight and similar in shape and length.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Try AA #5. It burns faster than #7 so it might help with your incomplete burns. I use it in my 9mm reloads (I shoot mostly 124gr as well), and even in the lower power cartridges I make, it seems to be pretty clean.

·
Registered
36,655 Posts
I use and like accurate powders and use AA #5 in my 38 Super and 45 acp reloads with ranier or berrys plated projectiles.
I tried it in the 9 mm and it worked fine in the 24/7 C, the Stoeger Cougar, and the Taurus 99, but my Beretta PX4 SC ( 3 inch barrel) had about a 5% failure to function on the powder.
the beretta NEVER fails to function 100%.
all I can figure is burn rate? and AA 7 is i believe slower than AA 5?
anyway I switched to unique powder and all runs fine with the same loading now.
I do really, really like the AA 5 in the 38 Super and 45 though.
the best powder by therory is going to be the one that with a particular weight'/ type projectile from a certain barrel length that burns the largest percentage of powder with in the barrel, has the largest case capacity take up and that prodcues the least amount of pressure and most velocity, see its easy!!
seriously-- change the barrel length, change the weight of the projectile and then its starting all over.
or just find a good average powder that works across the board in your weapons.
Unique is also a very versatile powder and fits a lot of weights and calibers well.
I would think in 4 inch or longer barrels the AA #5 would work fine, or at least that was my experience with the 9MM and the AA #5.

·
Registered
36,655 Posts
Now this is not advice and so use your own judgement at your own risk!
But i load the 115 grain round nose plated rainers and berrys at the same loading and the same OAL in my 38 Super with AA #5, and in my 9MM with unique, if that heaps any, both loads are apparently identical and no pressure sings in either.

·
Registered
105 Posts
But both Rainiers and Berry's are plated?
whoops. I'll blame it on old eyes.

I too have run the Ranier 115 Gr RN at max data with four different powders. The velocities were so close to the Hornady 115 Gr jacketed RN with the same loads that the pressures had to be fine.

I am not recommending this, just passing along what I did and found.

·
Registered
29,944 Posts
Since bulk 9mm ammo is so cheap, and my time more valuable the older I get, I don't hand load for 9mm's much nowadays...but...

I have used 4.7 grs. of AA#2 (which is closest to Bullseye's burn rate but cleaner) behind 124 gr FMJ's for 1,100 FPS out of a 4" barrel.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
i like titegroup for most auto loading pistol calibers. burns fast,clean and i get more rounds per lb. also loads are accurate.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for your responses. Lee 2nd is not as comprehensive as I was hoping. It doesn't have Titegroup, Bullseye, or AA 5 for 124 gr. FMJ, for instance. The Hodgdon website strangely only recommends WSF for 115 and 124 gr. FMJs, and nothing else. AA's load data seem better in comparison. I know Reloader's Nest has a bunch of loads, but I think it's too early for me to stray away from manual/manufacturer-published loads for now.

I think I will give AA 5 a try. It doesn't fill the case as completely, but since I powder check every case, I think I'll be okay.

As an aside, I tried a little antique AA 7 I'd bought (made in Israel, > 30 years old), and it certainly went bang. I suspect it's a little slower/less powerful. I think I could feel the springs compress ("poing poing poing poing poing") as the slide recoiled. The residual powder (mostly from fresh AA 7) was so heavy that it got under some part, and caused the trigger bar to hang while resetting to DA upon dry fire. I had to spray it out with Gunscrubber, because Q-tips simply pushed it into crevices I couldn't reach. :(

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hogdon has plenty of data for different powders with the 115gr Gold dot that should be interchangeable with your 115 FMJ, like always start low. also plenty of data with a 125gr FMJ that you can use with safley with your 124gr. most of that data will be in your Lee 2nd ed. also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts