Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...or should I say lack of powder report.

The past 3 days I drove all over central Florida and the Gulf Coast, stopped at several places from big box stores to hole in the wall Mom & Pop places. No pistol powder anywhere and very little in the way of rifle powders. Kind of depressing, last year when I was up that way I was able to score several 1# jugs of powder, I thought for sure this time I would see more options.

I'm still okay on powder was really more interested in trying a couple different powders and seeing if availability if Florida was getting any better.

Are powders supplies getting any better in your area? Anyone seeing 4# or 8# jugs of powder any where yet?

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
I check about 2 times weekly at local LGSs and have only seen pistol powder on a spotty basis here in eastern Iowa (aka maybe spot it once per month if lucky)

·
Administrator
35,527 Posts
The only 4 and 8# jugs I've seen are for rifle powder - I've seen some IMR3031 in abundance, but that's about it. One of these days I'm going to run across powder again, and I'm going to clean them out.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Did you get up here to Spacecoast? I haven't been in there in quite some time. How about the Bass Pro here?

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I was at my LGS yesterday. He told me he may have some Unique showing up next week. I am #5 on the list. Fingers are tightly crossed.

Reactions: Panda and mingaa

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Still sporadic here in StL but a few sizable shipments have showed up. More Alliant and Accurate would be nice.

I bought hard when it was here and went for another build once I felt 'loaded' - BUT I'd buy endlessly if I could. Most places are feast then famine. Good selection for a few days then only 50 bmg and black powder. *sigh

·
22,830 Posts
I've been meaning to get started reloading for a while now, but hearing all these powder/primer woes has made me hold off. I've considered researching a few good pistol and rifle powders and just buying them when I see them to build up a stash before I get started, but part of me feels like that would be a di... jerk move.

They had a few bottles of powder at Cabelas when I got my Mosin. But for all I knew it was something that wasn't good for anything but shotguns.

Reactions: HD-Mike

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I've been meaning to get started reloading for a while now, but hearing all these powder/primer woes has made me hold off. I've considered researching a few good pistol and rifle powders and just buying them when I see them to build up a stash before I get started, but part of me feels like that would be a di... jerk move.

They had a few bottles of powder at Cabelas when I got my Mosin. But for all I knew it was something that wasn't good for anything but shotguns.
Good plan to do research and prep ahead of time. My last rifle build never saw factory ammo - probably the same with the next.

Shotgun and pistol powder have a high degree of crossover. You can look at most major manufacturers load data on line - Hogdgon (IMR, Winchester), Alliant and Accurate data will help get your gears grinding.

Premium equipment is fine but no one should cut Lee short. I don't and I send a lot of lead down range.
Some folks automate much of the process. I go as fast as I can keep really good QC!

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,177 Posts
I passed on Unique @ $25.00 a pound @ BPS. I thought it was high, and didn't really need it.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Unique is a very versatile powder.
If you don't need it you have the luxury of viewing $25 as a high price.
Many would kill for Unique at $25. :D

·
Registered
6,530 Posts

I really think the powder will come back around. It is trailing the ammo shortage by about a year. Ammo was scarce, so people got into reloading. Ammo is starting to show up again, and you can get just about anything you want now except for 22LR. No reason to believe the powder wont come back too. As mingaa suggested, now is the time to start researching reloading and keeping your eye out for powder too. A good book to read is ABC's of Reloading. Some all-around pistol powder that can be used to load several calibers are Alliant Bullseye, Unique and Power Pistol. Winchester 231 and Hodgden HP-38 are also good and interchangeable as they are virtually the same powder.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Primers have not been a problem for many months now. Maybe because they take very little powder to make?!

Reactions: darbo and olfarhors

·
Registered
43 Posts
...or should I say lack of powder report.

The past 3 days I drove all over central Florida and the Gulf Coast, stopped at several places from big box stores to hole in the wall Mom & Pop places. No pistol powder anywhere and very little in the way of rifle powders. Kind of depressing, last year when I was up that way I was able to score several 1# jugs of powder, I thought for sure this time I would see more options.

I'm still okay on powder was really more interested in trying a couple different powders and seeing if availability if Florida was getting any better.

Are powders supplies getting any better in your area? Anyone seeing 4# or 8# jugs of powder any where yet?
No too many LGS in Central Florida has powder in stock. Specially if you're looking 4# or 8#jugs. Bass Pro Shops have been getting some on their site & you can have it ship to the store w no hazmat or shipping fees. However, there's only one store that often carries jugs.
Here's the link: Everglades Ammunition and Reloading

Check them periodically to see what's in stock.

Bes of luck,

·
Super Moderator
40,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you get up here to Spacecoast? I haven't been in there in quite some time. How about the Bass Pro here?
No did not make it that way, I cut across 27 from Miami to Tampa area and came back down the west coast. Checked Bass Pro in Fort Meyers area with no luck.

Reactions: darbo

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,177 Posts
Unique is a very versatile powder.
If you don't need it you have the luxury of viewing $25 as a high price.
Many would kill for Unique at $25. :D
If it was as easy to ship as mags, I would have picked it up and offered it here. However.....................

Many are right, powder is making a comeback, I have hoarded mine by limiting my shooting and loading. If it had been W321 or H38 I would have bought all three pounds.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
No too many LGS in Central Florida has powder in stock. Specially if you're looking 4# or 8#jugs. Bass Pro Shops have been getting some on their site & you can have it ship to the store w no hazmat or shipping fees. However, there's only one store that often carries jugs.
Here's the link: Everglades Ammunition and Reloading

Check them periodically to see what's in stock.

Bes of luck,
Hmmm - 8 powders listed and all 8 lb jugs. 2 in stock - both rifle, 0 pistol.

·
Super Moderator
40,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was on more of an investigation quest then a purchase quest, however if there was any thing I wanted I would have grabbed it up.

The last couple of times I made my way up to the Orlando area along the east coast I did pretty good on picking up 1# containers here and there, a little more then I wanted to spend price wise but at least they had it.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Administrator
40,155 Posts
This powder thing still doesn't make sense to me. Not everyone that owns a firearm shoots it. And of those that do shoot, not all of them, reload. So what's the deal here? I do believe supply will return at some point though.

·
Registered
36,655 Posts
Powder is still a no show in my area!
Primers can be had without to much problem.
I did see a 4 pounder (actually 3 of them) local but It was H-110, don't need that.
of course I haven't seen that animal in quite a while so it was like seeing a Unicorn!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts