Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to reloading and so far only have some trail boss powder. I am running out of primers so I will be placing a order for powder as well. I am using 125gn plated berrys bullets and 125g lead tcfpbb. Will be loading 9mm and .380 in the future so I was going to keep that in mind for my selection. Any load recommendation for said powders is welcome and appreciated. Was thinging of picking up some alliant bullseye , unique, hodgdon hp-38, tite group, cfe pistol and h110 or alliant 2400 for hotter loads in the future. With the 125gn they will be light loads for practice.

So far from what I have read bullseye in .38/357 starting at 2.8 gns is a nice load for light recoil and practice from what I have gathered.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I like Unique and 2400, H110 is great for full power loads, but you are not supposed to reduce it below the starting loads (which are pretty hot)

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Unique will load warm .357 and hotish .38 special. It works in either. Lots of similar powders like Universal Clays. Be careful with Bullseye. Loads take up very little of the case, are hard to detect light loads and you could easily dump a catastrophic double charge and not realize it. Bullseye is for light loads and I don't use it in .357, just .38 special.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
What NT said about Bullseye and any other fast burning powder (like red dot). If you are loading those pistol rounds, see if you can find Alliant BE-86 - so far it seems to be a great versatile powder than can be used and performs well in every handgun I own. To specify, I have all three calibers you mentioned...plus a few more....:)

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
From the bullets you talk about getting, I think H110 and IMR4227 are out because those are used mainly for hot loads for one thing or another. Having said that, I can think of at least 10 powders right off the top of my head that you could use for 357 magnum target loads, maybe 20 if I had another minute to think about it. So many powders can be used for this type of loading, it's great to have choices and I would just grab a couple and start loading. ;)

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
BTW, in .380, Unique is a fine powder for hot loads. :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just watched a video and bullseye sure does take up a small amount of space. Does it matter if in a 357mag case I use normal nonmagnum pistol primers? just in case I run out of magnum primers.

·
Administrator
40,372 Posts
I've always used Bullseye for .38 Special, and 2400 in .357 magnum. You can use Bullseye with standard primers in .357, but it's very inefficient, and you will notice a weak .357 load. Don't, unless you absolutely have to.

·
Registered
969 Posts
There is no finer handgun powder made today, IMO, than Ramshot True Blue. Something that really makes it shine is its pressure stability. Doesn't matter if you're loading cartridges even lower in pressure than the .380 ACP up to the highest pressure magnum (.454 Casull) it will do them all and provide excellent accuracy. As far as metering from your powder measure, it doesn't get any better.;)

·
Super Moderator
37,570 Posts
When I first loaded 38 Special I used HP 38 which can be loaded mild to wild. The 357 case being deeper raises the issue of using a small quantity of powder in a big case and the possibility of "flashover". The theory is that the surface area of the charge is greater if it half fills the void in the case which could cause a pressure spike. This is opposed to a charge that fills the case enough so that the ignition is in a columnar fashion. I have loaded 357 Magnum with HP 38 and not had issues however.

The other caveat that I have read about is a risk of flame cutting of the top strap of a revolver above the forcing cone. It is supposed that loading a lighter projectile like a 125 grain bullet with a full boat charge could result in excess gases causing such an effect.

In the end it may just follow Aristotle's call for moderation in all things.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Be very careful with Bullseye, TiteGroup, 231 or HP-38 in the .357 mag. It is too easy to get a double charge. Unique is good and should bulk up better than Bullseye or the others. You could try A #5. 2400 is good for hotter rounds.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
If you want optimal performance on both ends, standard pressure 38's and hot .357's you'll need two powders.

I run Bullseye in lower pressure rounds up to medium hot magnum loads. Full power magnum you'll want 2400, 296,
AA#9 or the like. Bullseye has been around a long time so there's lots of load data out there for it.

Someone mentioned BE-86. Its seems like it would be a good all-around powder choice. I've got a pound I haven't
opened yet. I have high hopes for it.

All the Best,
D. White

·
8,966 Posts
I ordered my Lee classic turret and other tools yesterday, as I am going to go down the loading rabbit hole as well. I picked up HP38 powder from Cabelas and 400 125 grn poly coated 38's and 100 poly coated 38's SWC's from Graf's. Going to start building my loading bench this weekend. I should start cranking out the goodies in a few weeks.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,305 Posts
I ordered my Lee classic turret and other tools yesterday, as I am going to go down the loading rabbit hole as well. I picked up HP38 powder from Cabelas and 400 125 grn poly coated 38's and 100 poly coated 38's SWC's from Graf's. Going to start building my loading bench this weekend. I should start cranking out the goodies in a few weeks.
Welcome to the addiction!

The "Reloaders Anonymous" group meets on Mondays, we rotate from house to house each week, the host usually furnishes refreshments. What Monday in May will work for you?

:hand2:

·
8,966 Posts
Thank you for the auspicious invitation. I am open any Monday in May to join the group..Hi I am Bob and I am a reloader!!

·
Super Moderator
37,570 Posts
Another convert!! Ring the bell! ;)

·
Registered
969 Posts
HP38/W231 is a good choice for all-around handloading if you stay with light loads in .357 Magnum, or maybe even better, just load .38 Special for use in .357. True Blue can operate at a good bit more pressure than Unique while it also does very well in lower pressure cartridges. In .357 Magnum, it won't show the highest velocity, but with shorter barrel lengths it loses less velocity. Western loads it above 50,000 PSI for the .454 Casull and I use it for JHP defense loads in .45 ACP (21,000 PSI). For .38 Sp. and definitely for .357 Magnum loads, use a small pistol magnum primer. It's the powder I use for barrel lengths around 3".

And while it won't produce the highest velocity in magnum revolver loads, Lyman consistently loaded it to higher pressure in .357 Magnum than with any other powder, faster or slower burning. Muzzleblast/Flash are much lower, so maybe Lyman was thinking about defense loads.

In my next article for Western, I'll be using True Blue for .357 Magnum with the RMR 125 & 158 gr, Plated Hollowpoints, as well as AA #7, #9, 4100/Enforcer and the newer flash suppressed 11FS with the 158s.

Concerning Lyman, they rated it the most accurate powder tested in cartridges like the .38 S&W (14,000 PSI) and the .45 GAP (23,000 PSI). 9mm with the SIERRA 130 gr. FMJ (31,400 CUP) while the most accurate loads I ever made in .40 S&W was charged with True Blue. Burn rate is very similar to AA #5, but True Blue is more pressure stable. One cartridge that really requires pressure stability is the FN 5.7 x 28mm. According to the Western ballistician then, when both True Blue and the 5.7 x 28mm were new, FN uses the commercial version of True Blue in their factory loads.;)

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
BTW, in .380, Unique is a fine powder for hot loads. :D
I would reccommend that you use unique if you are new to reloading.
simple it covers virtually anything in a gun that you might want to reload, including a lot of shotguns.
its bulky and dense so easy to work with (but it does not generally meter well through powder measures), it produces a wide range of powers by varying load weights, and its a pretty wide range of usable projectile weights .

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Registered
969 Posts
I would reccommend that you use unique if you are new to reloading.
simple it covers virtually anything in a gun that you might want to reload, including a lot of shotguns.
its bulky and dense so easy to work with (but it does not generally meter well through powder measures), it produces a wide range of powers by varying load weights, and its a pretty wide range of usable projectile weights .
For new handloaders, powders that give more than 50% case fill are best so that in the event of a double-charge the powder will overflow the case, or be too dense at a near casefull or more to allow the bullet to be seated.

Unique like most flake powders is bulky. Dense, not so much. They easily compress, and in the event of bullet set-back, they are not dense enough to do much about that. I use WST and AA #2 which are among the loftiest of spherical powders. LEE lists the bulk density of WST, but for AA #2 I can tell you that it's bulk density is only 600 Grams/liter and still higher than Unique. Really dense powders like True Blue, AA #5, #7 and many Sphericals for Magnum loads are above 950 Grams/liter. Quite a difference. Powders like Silhouette meter very well while its bulk density is 800 Grams/liter.The denser powders are also less likely to give powder charge variations.;)

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Full power .357 Magnum; I get great results from WW 296 or 2400. CAS Light loads Trail Boss.

Full power .38 special; I get good results from Unique, Herco and 231. CAS Light loads Trail Boss. Target loads with HBWC Bullseye.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts