Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to reloading and have tried the common ways to prevent powder from sticking due to static when charging. Tried cleaning with dish soap and air drying. Tried cleaning with alcohol. Have yet to try the dry sheet method. Have a partially used dryer sheet and a whole box of next dryer sheets. Should I try using a new sheet ok not all the surfaces That touch powder? Or should I try a used sheet?

Sent a email to hodgdon but have yet to get a reply about new vs used and the effect on powder ifnsome of the softner rubs off on the powder.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
37,585 Posts
I think that there's enough residual material in the used sheet to solve your problem without putting anything in the powder. Those things are also great if you tumble with a dry media like walnut or corn cob. One used sheet cut into strips will collect the carbon and crud to keep your media cleaner and last longer.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
There might be a slight electrical charge in the powder that causes it to cling to objects that have a different charge. Try sticking a finger first into the powder and then grab your reloading equipment/brass to equalize the charge. It's important to touch the powder first; if there is a static charge present, touching it second might cause a spark. That could have unfortunate consequences.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Dryer sheets work for me, I store one in the hopper when not in use. Another possible solution is to get the humidity up in the room to 60%. Dry air exacerbates static electricity.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I think that there's enough residual material in the used sheet to solve your problem without putting anything in the powder. Those things are also great if you tumble with a dry media like walnut or corn cob. One used sheet cut into strips will collect the carbon and crud to keep your media cleaner and last longer.
What he said....

Reactions: xiholdtruex

·
Registered
810 Posts
Personally I would not try the 'finger in the powder' idea.

Dryer sheets work VERY well to remove any static 100% safely.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Which Hodgdon powder is sticking? ;)

Reactions: xiholdtruex

·
Registered
440 Posts
The Preacher is correct

Powder already has graphite in it but NOT enough , put appox 1/5th tea spoon in your powder hopper and shake , don't wipe it off , pour the left over into your 1 pound jug of powder and shake -- works for a long time -- I mean a year or more -- no more then 1/4 tea spoon a little goes a long way
Cheep on ebay -- 1lb will last a life time
I add appox 1/5th tea spoon to every new 1lb of powder I get and never a static problem

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Trail boss

used the dipper that came with my lee dies and had no issues except for the measuring pan sticking lol the lee powder measure kit all are sticking
I've used a little Trail Boss but never in a measure. Those "donut flakes" are huge...might not be static just not appropriate for a measure...anybody run Trail Boss through a measure successfully?

·
Registered
450 Posts
This might cause a meltdown , but when I’m done using equipment I take a paper towel and spray some we-40 on it and wipe everything down. Wd-40 evaporates and leaves no residue, works for me and no static

·
Administrator
35,629 Posts
I've never had to wipe the dryer sheet inside the powder tube, I've always been able to wrap one around the outside of the tube with a rubber band and I've never had the powder cling or stick.

Reactions: Smokewagon

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
The Preacher is correct

Powder already has graphite in it but NOT enough , put appox 1/5th tea spoon in your powder hopper and shake , don't wipe it off , pour the left over into your 1 pound jug of powder and shake -- works for a long time -- I mean a year or more -- no more then 1/4 tea spoon a little goes a long way
Cheep on ebay -- 1lb will last a life time
I add appox 1/5th tea spoon to every new 1lb of powder I get and never a static problem
there are lots of added ingredients to Smokeless powder, especially if it is double based as opposed to single base.
graphite of course is generally one as it changes burn rates and allows for it to move about better without clumping as I understand it.
but lots of other trace chemicals are used to adjust burn rates, temperatures, etc. even at huge lots made no 2 lots are ever exactly the same and so the magic men in the white lab coats adjust all this to within certain specs before going to the bottle shop and to be sold.
to each their own but personally I am NOT adding anything to my powder but we all make our decisions.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've never used Trail Boss, nor 800-X for that matter. When a powder's physical size becomes a deterrent to good metering, I don't have much interest in them. Can't remember exactly when, seems like 15 years ago, I was using Blue Dot and Power Pistol pretty regularly for defense and hunting load experiments and comparisons in velocity/pressure. Then the news hit about lot variations of Blue Dot and I began investigating sphericals that would produce similar results. The only thing I ever really liked about Power Pistol was its velocity potential. Shoot loads at night with PP or B Dot and your pistol becomes a flamethrower. Not a problem for hunting loads, but totally impractical in defense loads. And when the Vhita Vouri powders became available, I had no reason to buy PP again and still have a partial cannister, B Dot as well.

My RCBS Uniflow came originally with a clear hopper. Somehow I managed to leave PP in it at night. Ended up calling RCBS to find out that it was a no-no, particularly with double-based flake powders. True to form they shipped me a new green hopper and I've tried not to repeat that mistake. I really began investigating spherical powders at that point, and they're all I use in handgun loads today. One reason I wanted to know which Hodgdon powder was the culprit here. My suspicion was a double-based flake powder, and like I said, I haven't used Trail Boss.

I can't say empirically that double-based spherical powders are less susceptible to static than double-based flake. Since I don't have those issues with the sphericals I use. I do suspect it may be the case. Not that I was considered with that originally because I was more concerned about physical size and bulk density of the powder. Even the loftiest spherical I use, Accurate No 2, unless WST is lower, bulk density is 600 Grams/liter and still denser than most any flake powder. It would be interesting to do a direct comparison of static by powder type. Another issue lately is that single-based flake powders like IMR SR 7625 and 4756 are being discontinued.;)

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I've never used Trail Boss, nor 800-X for that matter. When a powder's physical size becomes a deterrent to good metering, I don't have much interest in them. Can't remember exactly when, seems like 15 years ago, I was using Blue Dot and Power Pistol pretty regularly for defense and hunting load experiments and comparisons in velocity/pressure. Then the news hit about lot variations of Blue Dot and I began investigating sphericals that would produce similar results. The only thing I ever really liked about Power Pistol was its velocity potential. Shoot loads at night with PP or B Dot and your pistol becomes a flamethrower. Not a problem for hunting loads, but totally impractical in defense loads. And when the Vhita Vouri powders became available, I had no reason to buy PP again and still have a partial cannister, B Dot as well.

My RCBS Uniflow came originally with a clear hopper. Somehow I managed to leave PP in it at night. Ended up calling RCBS to find out that it was a no-no, particularly with double-based flake powders. True to form they shipped me a new green hopper and I've tried not to repeat that mistake. I really began investigating spherical powders at that point, and they're all I use in handgun loads today. One reason I wanted to know which Hodgdon powder was the culprit here. My suspicion was a double-based flake powder, and like I said, I haven't used Trail Boss.

I can't say empirically that double-based spherical powders are less susceptible to static than double-based flake. Since I don't have those issues with the sphericals I use. I do suspect it may be the case. Not that I was considered with that originally because I was more concerned about physical size and bulk density of the powder. Even the loftiest spherical I use, Accurate No 2, unless WST is lower, bulk density is 600 Grams/liter and still denser than most any flake powder. It would be interesting to do a direct comparison of static by powder type. Another issue lately is that single-based flake powders like IMR SR 7625 and 4756 are being discontinued.;)
I've had problems with 700-X. My solution: https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/reloads/112307-simple-effective-powder-measure-agitator.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts