Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting supplies for reloading .300 and it looks like for max velocity of 125 grain and up to 225, it is kind of a battle between lil' gun and AA 1680. But across the board, from 110 up to 225 grain, if you are willing to sometimes give up 100FPS, H110 and Win 296 look good and in some cases lead on velocity. Hornady says H110 2400 FPS with 110 grain bullets and 1300 with 225 grain bullets with both H110 and Win 296. so i am thinking, since i have unopened pounds of both 110 and 296, I'll go with one of those. The loading specs on both are real similar for different calibers so I suspect they are very similar powders
Any opinions to throw me to one of the other? cleaner shooting, less flash, better metering?

I am thinking a 110 gr jacketed lead RN of which i have plenty for 30 carbine loading at 2200/2300 will be a serious round. Is anyone making anything in the 200gr+ range that will expand at the 1200/1300 FPS these powders will give?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
To your last question. Maker bullets is doing great things in 230gr subsonic projectiles that are devastating.

I've loaded 300 with 4 different powders that I have record of, they include h110, lil gun, h 4227 and h4198. I have a lb of 1680, I just haven't gotten to try it yet. They are all small grain powders that meter well. As far as the cleanliness of the loads, it's tough to say, I'm not great at paying attention to stuff like that. H110 and lil gun have worked better for supers for me and the other two have worked better for subs for me. With 4227 being the better of the two for me. 1680 will be used for subs when I can try it finally.

Did I answer any of your questions or did I just ramble about what I've done?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
For max velocities in the 110-225gr range of ammo, Lil gun would be the absolute best as only lil gun will run 225gr to 1400 fps per Hornady's 10th ed.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To your last question. Maker bullets is doing great things in 230gr subsonic projectiles that are devastating.

I've loaded 300 with 4 different powders that I have record of, they include h110, lil gun, h 4227 and h4198. I have a lb of 1680, I just haven't gotten to try it yet. They are all small grain powders that meter well. As far as the cleanliness of the loads, it's tough to say, I'm not great at paying attention to stuff like that. H110 and lil gun have worked better for supers for me and the other two have worked better for subs for me. With 4227 being the better of the two for me. 1680 will be used for subs when I can try it finally.

Did I answer any of your questions or did I just ramble about what I've done?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
will look into those Maker bullets. Not worrying about being subsonic right now but the idea of a 230gr expanding bullet at 1300fps has a certain appeal. I guess i'll flip a coin over 110 or 296 and open up the jug and start playing. I am really trying to avoid buying any new powder until i burn down some of what i have already in stock and I think either powder will give pretty good service with any projectile weight.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For max velocities in the 110-225gr range of ammo, Lil gun would be the absolute best as only lil gun will run 225gr to 1400 fps per Hornady's 10th ed.
yea, the lil gun looked pretty good, but i don't want to buy any more powder(if i could find any) if i have something already in house that will work pretty well

·
Super Moderator
35,532 Posts
As I understand it, H110 and W296 are the same magnum powder much like W231 and HP38 being the same as a result of Hodgdon buying Winchester's powder brands and recipes. With the latter two it's still a mystery to me and one I've not gotten a good answer on why the load manual has different charge weights for the two powders that are reputed to be the same.

I've loaded 147 grain 300 BLK with H110 to good result but don't chrono my rounds so all I can speak to is accuracy.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
I load 125 and now 160 gr for 300 AAC and I can choose from 4227 and CFE BLK.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
well I am likely no help to you at all, my 300 is a 7 1/2 inch barrel, I bought it as a house gun and had no intention of using anything except big old slow boolletts in it (Sub Sonic), may load a few lighter ones to play with at some point!
anywho so far ACC 1680 has been the ticket for anything from 180 to 230 grain projectiles, accurate (at least out to 50 yards), tack driver at 25 yards, like one hole 10 shot groups!
tried some loooong Sierra match king BTHP 240 grainers and so far they aren't exactly spectacular out of my gun, accuracy pretty good but a bit of unstable looking at the bullet holes, might be a tad to heavy for the twist?
they were freebies so I said why not?
tried 11 FS and have not been at all impressed with it, although again in a longer barrel and lighter projectiles perhaps better results.
seems like the magnum pistol powders pretty much do the job in nay super sonic loads in this caliber.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As I understand it, H110 and W296 are the same magnum powder much like W231 and HP38 being the same as a result of Hodgdon buying Winchester's powder brands and recipes. With the latter two it's still a mystery to me and one I've not gotten a good answer on why the load manual has different charge weights for the two powders that are reputed to be the same.
Older manuals tended to list both powders. I’m using the online apps from Sierra and Hornady, and both of them have dropped separate loads for HP-38. My understanding is a load manual is only good as a ballpark, as so few of us ever match the listed specifications exactly. In my case my barrel is always different, my primers are usually different, my powder lot is most certainly different, and almost always, my projectile is similar, but not the same...any one of which can throw off different pressure and velocity readings...were we so blessed to have the necessary equipment to measure. As everyone is fond of saying...do your own work ups, load min and work up. Find what works for YOUR gun, then rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hornady says H110 2400 FPS with 110 grain bullets and 1300 with 225 grain bullets with both H110 and Win 296. so i am thinking, since i have unopened pounds of both 110 and 296, I'll go with one of those. The loading specs on both are real similar for different calibers so I suspect they are very similar powders

Any opinions to throw me to one of the other? cleaner shooting, less flash, better metering?
As others have said, Winchester 296 and Hodgdon H110 is the same thing. One of the rare times regarding powders this is true. Feel free to verify by looking at various load data sources such as Hodgdon reloading website.

I am thinking a 110 gr jacketed lead RN of which i have plenty for 30 carbine loading at 2200/2300 will be a serious round.
This isn't .22 LR you're shooting. It will run clean enough to maintain rifle normal maintenance cleaning schedule.

I am thinking a 110 gr jacketed lead RN of which i have plenty for 30 carbine loading at 2200/2300 will be a serious round.
Depending on the platform you are using, it might or might not work reliably regarding feeding. If the feeding ramp in the firearm is very rigid and unforgiving, it may not work. Also, even if you do get them to work, be prepared for VERY ugly/inconsistent accuracy. Those round nose bullets are designed for the 30 carbine twist rate and bullet accuracy flaws get magnified when the twist rate is much higher than needed.

If you buy once fired converted brass into 300 blackout or convert your own, make sure they only use brass headstamps listed in the 300 blackout forum as good. Brass thickness at the mouth is a critical dimension.

Link to list: http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=88599

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you buy once fired converted brass into 300 blackout or convert your own, make sure they only use brass headstamps listed in the 300 blackout forum as good. Brass thickness at the mouth is a critical dimension.
Or one could make the quite costly, ill-advised purchase that I did and purchase the Hornady LNL Neck Turning tool at $125 to save those few large mouth cases (15) that you picked up off the range for free. At the rate I'm "saving brass" I've paid $8.33 per case. That said, in another 250-300 years I'll have saved enough 'Not on the Recommended Brass List" .300 Blackout converted cases to pay for this thing.

On the other hand, then next time some precision rifle shooter asks if anyone has a Neck Turning Tool they can borrow, I'll be Johnny on the Spot.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
The 300 BO apparently has become so popular in my part that I almost every range trip find some factory once fired 300 BO brass laying for free, I bet I got at least 4-500 cases between whats loaded and whats in the storage can waiting for loading.
seems from the brass and empty ammo boxes laying in the trash that Remington sub sonic loads are very popular amongst the shooters.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, someday my dies will come off back order and i'll give those 110 bullets a try. i have lots of heavier .30 projectiles to play with too from my old m14 competition days. For my info, what was the twist rate on carbines?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts