Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not reloaded for 13 years, the powder I have on hand I store in a air-tight 20mm ammo box. I checked it a few days ago-and half of the powder is bad (smells acidic). What is the shelf life of powder? Same question for Primers, kept in .30cal. ammo box? Also, what's the best way to dispose of old gunpowder?

·
Super Moderator
40,656 Posts
As far as the primers go, I would load a few in brass without powder or bullet and see if they go off. If so I would say use them for range ammo.

Bad powder, many say it makes great fertilizer, mix it into the garden, or spread it around in the yard.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I have powder that is more than 23 years old and it is still fresh and I still use it. If it smells like ammonia, spread it on the lawn for fertilizer. But I keep the stuff in a cool, dark place. I have some 231 from 1995 that produces more smoke than new manufacture, but still produces 1 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards in my 45 ACP.

Sent using TapaTalk HD

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,933 Posts
Yep, I agree pretty much with the others!
a lot of the strorage has to do with moisture and temperatures, Nitro cellulose will decompose in the presence of moisture pretty quickly , I would take about a bottle cap of it, place it on the ground and light it and see if it burns.
if it has the ammonia smell then it does make a fair fertilizer so spread it thinly and let it go, primers are easily tested by seating a few random ones from your stock into a empty case, put them in a gun and try firing them, if they go bang then likely they are fine.
Properly stored smokeless powder can and does last generations.

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys- I didn't really want to get rid of the other powder. Ain't nutthin' cheap anymore.One of the cans is W231, the date on the bottom is '91- Looks good, smells good.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Score on the 231! News to me about a good use of spoiled powder!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts