Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Should he be thrown to a pack of hungery rabid bulls?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes with bbq sauce thrown on him first!

• No! *thump* I.. I mean YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in a discussion over a stoeger cougar or a 24/7 pro, i spoke up for taurus but remained neutral on endorsement of either gun and this happen:

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showpost.php?p=372267&postcount=24
FIATABARTH said:
The gun industry "gun of the year" has even less meaning than the "motor trend car of the year" does. Taurus makes good guns? Yes, four of them. PT92/99 & PT100/101. The rest of the taurus autos are related to lorcins and hi-points. The dealer I worked for for over a decade would have a taurus promotion over a weekend and then over the next week or so, the customers would be back in with the autos that did not feed or fire and revolvers with locked up cylinders or fractured parts. All had to go back to taurus for their "lifetime warranty" and it then took weeks and even months for them to be repaired. A good taurus belongs in a shadow box hanging on the wall as it is a collector's item!

The Cougar was and is a good gun. It never sold as well as Beretta would have liked and the price had a lot to do with that. If Stoeger keeps the quaility up, they should sell like hotcakes. Even Beretta is not perfect, they make the Tomcat, and it has had issues in the past, but the rest of the Beretta line more than makes up for that one product, taurus on the other hand, is in the other corner, it makes a single model line of pistols that are really good (PT92/99/100/101) and all of their plastic framed models are suspect at best & revolvers are somewhat better but have had issues in the past with poor quaility small parts used internally. Cheap guns are like cheap motorcycle helmets. Cheap helmets are good for cheap heads & cheap guns are to protect lives that have little value.

Taurus is the product of good marketing by ad agency. I doubt there are many taurus gun collections out there. They have no value for the long term.

I'm sorry, but saying taurus and Beretta in the same breath and implying they may somehow on some level be equal got me on my soapbox.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Ah, I see his logic so clearly:

1. A gun has to have long-term value to be worth anything. This, of course, is in lieu of the fact that almost no gun increases all that much in value - if it even retains it's value, you're doing well.

2. Beretta and Taurus should not be mentioned in the same breath, because Beretta is so much better. Oh, wait - Taurus bought that Beretta factory and started rolling out the PT92 - so essentially, they are the exact same gun, very likely many of them came off the same assembly lines.

3. It takes weeks or even months to get your Taurus back from customer service. Let's not mention that it also takes Smith and Wesson, Springfield, Colt, and most every other gun manufacturer weeks, if not a couple of months, to get you your gun back as well.

What a rick-with-a-P.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Only comments I have is, the original question was either
a. A troll job.
b. Buyers re-morse.
Why ask this question AFTER a purchase?

2. Because motorcycling is a passion of mine for over 30 yrs, his helmet
analogy is pure and utter (or is that udder) Bovine Excrement.

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
I've got a 20 year old mod 85 that's been shot God only knows how many times. It was my dads back up and now it sits in my living room as its now my wife's gun both my adult daughters are trained with it and it looks like it was made yesterday the bluing is perfect and this gun shoots dead on.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Just another case of brand slobbery. Chances are he never owned one or shot one.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Just about every forum has these people. many will admit to never having owned a Taurus, but a "friend", or a "dealer" told them something. They rarely champion any particular brand over a period of time, as you'll find them spewing the same crap about other guns on different threads. They're quick to disparage the experience of others as anecdotal, but believe that the stories that they relate are to be taken as fact.

Over the years, I've gotten several of them banned from their home forums. It's simple, I check their past posts, and quote them in the current thread. The normal response is to become irate enough to violate forum R&Rs, and they're gone. That happened recently in the 1911 Forum. Logical, reasoned, discussion is the key. The Admins allow for disagreement, as long as the posts don't become personal.

Taurus has a record that very closely resembles S&W, without the political suicide. S&W has a core of weapons that have stood the test of time. They are known for innovative designs, but many of them have had their share of teething problems. Everyone allows that "they'll make it right". They also have their share of "nothing found" returns to individuals. Some of them are justified. A complaint that the "gun shoots low" is often the shooter, and the technicians have nothing to judge upon. Similar is the "gun won't fire" complaint. The Technician loads it up, and runs off a few magazines, and back it goes. No information is given as to when, or what happened to prompt that statement.

The difference appears to be that S&W has a following that won't allow haters to go unchallenged.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks to me like some overpaid, underworked, heritage-free hoodlum who wants to sound like he knows what he's talking about.

Put him in a room with a bunch of auto mechanics and he'll espouse how Ford's and Chevy's aren't really cars, they're choices for the masses of uneducated people who don't know better. He'd likely claim Mercedes-Benz is the only car that is collected (wonder what kind of fit he'd throw over a Ford Pinto?).....

Taurus may have their faults, but they also have their place. If people weren't buying them, they wouldn't still be in business!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yeah, I'm with shookfarm.
These snobs get angry when you can do more for 100 bucks less buy getting a Taurus.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I've seen on another forum where people in one thread have complained about almost every make and model out there and they Paid mega bucks for thier firearms. i will admit there are alot fine firearms out there but i like Taurus, to me, i'm gonna get more bang for my buck instead of paying more bucks for the bang. :shooter: :shooter:

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
I was in one of the other forums the other day and there was a Keltec thread - and some moron says "why would you want to buy a Keltec when you could have a Rohrbaugh?" Well, for one thing, the lowest price you're going to take one of those home for is about $1100.00 - but hey, since he has money to throw around, everybody else does too, right?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I give up on these idiots.

·
Registered
402 Posts
ShookFarm said:
Looks to me like some overpaid, underworked, heritage-free hoodlum who wants to sound like he knows what he's talking about.

Put him in a room with a bunch of auto mechanics and he'll espouse how Ford's and Chevy's aren't really cars, they're choices for the masses of uneducated people who don't know better. He'd likely claim Mercedes-Benz is the only car that is collected (wonder what kind of fit he'd throw over a Ford Pinto?).....

Taurus may have their faults, but they also have their place. If people weren't buying them, they wouldn't still be in business!
Shook, you hit the nail on the head. In my experience brand snobbery is hard to overcome. Once they associate so closely with their brand it becomes and extension of themselves. If you question their choice you are really questioning them and they would no sooner accept a perceived insult to their brand than they would an insult to themselves. Myself, I prefer to see what's on the market and what fits my needs for the best price. I'll admit I'd give Taurus first shot, but if they didn't have it I'd go elsewhere.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Guess I'm a brand snob, I've got 8 different brands in my cabinet and I think they are all "the best ever!", that's why I bought them.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ByrdC130 said:
Guess I'm a brand snob, I've got 8 different brands in my cabinet and I think they are all "the best ever!", that's why I bought them.
no that makes you a "gun slut", dont worry though i am too, it's a good thing :)

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I passed that stage 30 years ago!! I am now an "electic collector" or "an accumulator". :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
259 Posts
joe sixpack said:
no that makes you a "gun slut", dont worry though i am too, it's a good thing :)

I guess we all have to be something! When I was a ruffneck way back when, we had a saying. Please don't tell my mom I work in the oil patch, she thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Joe, I read that thread on the Berretta board and you made a lot of good points, while it seems that your antagonist only had the "more expensive is better" argument (and it's a weak argument, at best), going for him. I think you were dealing with what appears to me at least, to be an ill-informed, self important blowhard.

There's a guy like that at the range I go to and I swear the next time he starts telling a customer his line of anti-Taurus bs I think I'm gonna ask the customer if he wants to try mine out.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
My son carries a 24/7 pro 9mm and he loves it - he is a security guard and wants to be a LEO when he is 20 or 21. However, he has had a devil of a time getting his bosses to allow him to carry his gun on duty.....they told him that Taurus guns are sub-par in the way they are put together, and that the rifling in the barrel will wear out much sooner than other guns and you will start having problems keeping the rounds grouped. What total, utter nonsense !! I told him that if I'm ever up there and his boss is there, I would like to talk to him about this. bashing a product is one thing, but outright lies are another. I've seen 15 year old model 92's that could shoot a fly off a cows butt from 50 yards.

They let my son carry his 24/7 though, because he can't afford to go get a Glock like they told him to. And, no matter how accurate it is, no matter how trouble-free it ever is, nobody up there will ever give it respect.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Never heard the "rifling wearing out" comment. I have a PT92 that I bought in the 1980s, and the rifling, and locking block, are still in service today. That's more than can be said for most 1980's Model 92 Berettas.

I hear the same crap about the Beretta being "better finished". When pressed, it turns out to be a subjective observation, most likely brought about by the $200 difference in price. I've also noted that civilians versions of the 92 have started using MIM and plastic pieces in their construction. Oddly enough, the answer is always that "they're not stressed components." My question in return is, then why isn't the price reduced?

A little story. In the 1990's, a new Police Officer in our town was looking for an off-duty piece. It had to be a minimum of 9mmP, and approved by the department armorer. Now, this man pushed S&W to the point of idiocy.

We went to the range with a selection of 9mm pistols. S&W Model 39-2, S&W Model 59, Taurus PT92C, Sig P226, and an Astra A75 lightweight. After shooting all of the guns, discussing concealment issues, and then price, he settled on the A75. He was able to shoot it well, liked the controls, the weight, and the price.

He took the pistol to the range with the armorer, and shot it to qualify. No bobbles, no ftf/fte, and the armorer thought that it was the Sig. Everything was going along fine until he saw the name on the side of the pistol, and that was that. Nope, Astra was junk. Why, "in his opinion" the Spanish pistols were made of soft steel, and failed catastrophicaly. While he hadn't witnessed anything like this, he just "knew" it to be true.

I still have that Astra, with 10k+ rounds through it, including +P and +P+, and no wear to speak of. I show it to the now retired armorer whenever we shoot with him. He didn;t like the Astra, but he now carries a Charter Arms .38, something else that he "thought" was junk, too!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.