Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a conscious decision a few months ago to reduce the amount if stuff I took with me to the range, and was just curious as to what everyone else brings with them for a 'regular' range trip. I used to bring my MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag every time. It's a fantastic bag, but man, does it get heavy once you fill it all up with everything it can hold.

I've since switched to a sling-style shoulder pack, which still lets me carry what I need, but limits the excess (and is way easier on my shoulder).

In this bag (and all of the MOLLE pouches hanging off of it), I have:

Ammunition (depends on trip, but typically a brick of .22LR, 80-150 5.56, 100-200 centerfire pistol)
Real Avid Gun tool
Plastic bottle of foam earplugs
Howard Leight earplugs
staplegun and reloads for it
First aid kit (band-aids, bandages, gauze, antiseptic, Israeli bandage, CAT tourniquet)
40 oz SS vacuum flask of water
QD bipod
2-3 huck towels
UpLuLa pistol mag loader
1-2 handguns
OTIS pistol/rifle cleaning kit
boresnakes for every caliber I shoot
2oz bottle of gun lube
multi-piece brass rod for clearing obstructions
pocket knife (currently a Kershaw flipper)

What does everyone else bring with them and how is it packaged?

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I have a regular "go bag" for security duty that doubles as a range bag for carrying pistols, ammo, an UpLuLa, hearing protection, etc. I have a big 5.11 Tactical Range-Ready Bag that can carry all of the above and 8 spare magazines, tools, gun belt, holster, mag pouch, water bottles, and it has an caddy tray for carrying stuff to the line while shooting.

Reactions: MisterNoisy

·
Registered
15,232 Posts
Depends what range I'm going to and how long I'm there. It can be as small as a Blackhawk pistol range bag all the way up to a Hockey equipment bag.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,305 Posts
05 civic hybrid.jpg

If it isn't in there, it will be next trip. Seating only for me

·
Super Moderator
40,649 Posts
I have the GPS Gunner Back Pack. It works nicely. However I usually have a trunk full of stuff when I go to the range. It is nice that I can back right up to the shooting tables.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just through what I want in plastic toolbox walk out back to the range and if I need something else I go back in the house and get it. I need to build a storage building at the range that 50 feet getting back to the house is murder. :icon_ poke:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
My standard range bag is just a Walmart special range bag (black nylon with side pockets, small front and rear external pockets, and a large central compartment) and if I'm only shooting a pistol or two, I'll put them in the middle compartment. Earmuffs and ear plugs are in the back pocket, the side pocket has a staple gun, staples, and other target attaching utensils. The other side pocket contains pistol mags as needed. Th front external pocket contains assorted tools and a bore light.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I made a conscious decision a few months ago to reduce the amount if stuff I took with me to the range, and was just curious as to what everyone else brings with them for a 'regular' range trip. I used to bring my MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag every time. It's a fantastic bag, but man, does it get heavy once you fill it all up with everything it can hold.

I've since switched to a sling-style shoulder pack, which still lets me carry what I need, but limits the excess (and is way easier on my shoulder).

In this bag (and all of the MOLLE pouches hanging off of it), I have:

Ammunition (depends on trip, but typically a brick of .22LR, 80-150 5.56, 100-200 centerfire pistol)
Real Avid Gun tool
Plastic bottle of foam earplugs
Howard Leight earplugs
staplegun and reloads for it
First aid kit (band-aids, bandages, gauze, antiseptic, Israeli bandage, CAT tourniquet)
40 oz SS vacuum flask of water
QD bipod
2-3 huck towels
UpLuLa pistol mag loader
1-2 handguns
OTIS pistol/rifle cleaning kit
boresnakes for every caliber I shoot
2oz bottle of gun lube
multi-piece brass rod for clearing obstructions
pocket knife (currently a Kershaw flipper)

What does everyone else bring with them and how is it packaged?
Nice sticker. I have the same one in my car. Part of my Austin Petersen support mobile :D

·
Premium Member
13,457 Posts
I have a membership at a local fish and game club and use their outdoor range which is 5 minutes from my house. Yearly membership costs me $35. I use the trunk of my car and a very large tool box as my equivalent of a range bag. Usually three rifles and a few handguns, a few large pieces of cardboard for sighting in, shoot-n-c targets, silhouette targets, ear muffs, a staple gun, front and rear rifle rests, several hundred rounds of ammo, gun cleaning kit including bore snakes, bore solvent and lubricant, screw drivers and shop towels. I like to take at least 3 rifles so they have time to cool down their barrels between strings. Due to the winter weather I have a lot of guns that need shooting so I'm sure looking forward to a warm up and trigger time.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have a blue Dillon range bag that I bought more than 20 years ago and I still use it. But it is too big and heavy most of the time, so I usually just leave it home. I have used a coyote brown Fox Outdoor Modular Operators Bag sometimes, but I mostly just save it for a backup ammo bugout bag. (I'm posting generic pics here, I'm too lazy to upload pics of my own bags). Mostly though I just use a ordinary backpack for pistols and range gear and I carry my AR in a soft guitar bag, all to keep a low profile.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
For me it all depends on 2 things, what i am going to do at the range, and who is coming with me, im the one who brings the guns that i allow friends and family to shoot. They might bring the 1 or 2 they have, i might bring 8, in a mix of hand and long guns. And might have 4 other people along for the trip, but if its just me or me and one other i dont bring nearly as much. If i am plinking i bring a lot, if i am shooting skeet or long range, i only bring what i am shooting. Unless im shooting a couple of handgun sports, then i will bring a few with me. I have had many small bags that are good for 2 handguns over the years, but decided to just skip all of that and get 1 really big one. for when im bringing more then 2 handguns.

If i am just using handguns, either for shooting sports for me, or i have other people along and have brought several, i will bring a Elite Survival Systems Range Roller Bag 9010-B (these are not my photos but it gives you an idea of what it can carry) I really like this bag, it can carry 8 handguns, many boxes of ammo, targets, hearing and eye protection, magazines, cleaning kit, a few tools, and assorted other items all inside it, it has rollers and a extendable handle so it just rolls behind you like a small piece of luggage. no carrying needed.

9010-4.jpg 71mjdswYX-L._SX463_.jpg

If i am bringing long guns, it will be various bags, i have a drag bag that holds 4 long guns, and a bag that unfolds to a mat you lay on for prone long range shooting.

this one is a blackhawk 50 inch rifle bag / shooting mat (again not my photo)

c2fe9675aa1409d946a6d615c19499b0.jpg

and then i have this drag bag that can hold up to 4 long guns, this isnt the exact one it is just a photo i found, but it looks like it, not sure what the brand is of the one i have, i got it as a gift

439948A.jpg

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,305 Posts
Just through what I want in plastic toolbox walk out back to the range and if I need something else I go back in the house and get it. I need to build a storage building at the range that 50 feet getting back to the house is murder. :icon_ poke:
I do this also, with the chrony, however, shortly after the 3 round my wife tries to find something MORE important for me to do. So driving to the club becomes plan B. At least there I can blame the berms for the poor cell phone reception.
:D

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
I have fought with range bags for several years now. Had a big range bag, with 4 different calibres of ammo, 2-3 pistols, accessories- hell, I almost couldn't pick it up. So my decision- at this point anyway- is two back packs. One has pistol ammo and accessories, one has rifle ammo & accessories. I take a lot of ammo (200 9mm, over 200 223s, 357s, 30-30s- plus multiple magazines for several guns and 2-3 pistols) so they are still pretty heavy, but at least easier to manage.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have a NEX USA bag big enough center compartment that I can carry my 30 Herrett in it also has two large compartments on both sides and three small compartments in the front then I have a NRA bag for ammo and a walmart cloth bag for test loads the XL7acts as a range support vehicle I just never unload all the stuff out of it
I have a note book on my phone for inventory so I don't forget anything. I try to go prepared because I like to stay for awhile when I get there. I take snacks and comes along

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
and then i have this drag bag that can hold up to 4 long guns, this isnt the exact one it is just a photo i found, but it looks like it, not sure what the brand is of the one i have, i got it as a gift

View attachment 395881
I have a drag bag that looks identical to it. I think mine is made by Allen. Fantastic for light trips where you're just bringing a rifle or two and maybe a handgun or two. Tough as nails, too.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I'm cheap. I use two of these from harbor Freight.
image_25207.jpg
I can haul half a dozen pistols, a dozen boxes of ammo, ear & eye protection, targets and a stapler (for hanging them) in two of these bags.
And carrying one in each hand balances out the load so I can carry them quite a ways without back or shoulder pains.
At $10 each after using their 20% off coupon (even when they aren't on sale) two of them cost less than even one cheap rage bag and they're made to hold tools - so they are pretty darned sturdy. Nuthin' fancy but it works for me...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts