Taurus Firearm Forum banner

7021 - 7040 of 7088 Posts

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
Just started getting into this guy's music and really like his version of the old Isley Bros song "Shout". Sadly the drugs got the best of him in 2017.

I'll guarantee you that his drummer was having a good time on this one.

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
Keeping it upbeat.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
Harry Chapin's little girl Mary.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
This was in my 'favorites' file, I don't know why or when I put it there. Maybe it was on this thread. Anyway WOW, these guys are great. Apparently it is a whole show so you can watch as much as you want. ....... This definitely not my type of music, but again, wow. ...... If someone can tag this with a 'genre', I'm all ears.

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
Not sure why you're impressed with the drummer in CCR. I mean, it's rock solid tempo but rather boring.

This came out about the time I started playing drums in Jr high school. Behold, a half blind drummer named Joe Morello, who was also a violin virtuoso by age 9.

"...Morello suffered from partial vision from birth, and devoted himself to indoor activities. At six years old, he began studying the violin. Three years later [At age 9], he was a featured soloist with the Boston Symphony Orchestra, playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto, and again three years later. [It's a 30 minute piece!!!]

At the age of 15, Morello met the violinist Jascha Heifetz and decided that he would never be able to equal Heifetz's "sound". Therefore, he switched to drumming..."

This one happens to be in 5/4 time but he can solo in 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 6/8, 7/4 (Unsquare Dance), 9/8 (Blue Rondo à la Turk), etc. He also played tabla with music from India that is written it measures of 32....or something like that which I can't understand.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/uncommon-time-dave-brubeck/

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
This one happens to be in 5/4 time but he can solo in 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 6/8, 7/4 (Unsquare Dance), 9/8 (Blue Rondo à la Turk), etc.
Always felt that the best REAL musicians were found in jazz. ...... Was always fascinated by the different time signatures, and impressed by those who could play them. Not so easy to just tap your toe to a 5/4.

As a self taught, bar room hack I got to play (stumbled into) a local gig for a few months with a couple of those REAL musicians. ..... musically they were like 'black belts' and I was a 'green'. ...... In music, not being able to sight read is like not being able to read in life. You are always handicapped in that realm, as I was.

Speaking of REAL musicians, I stumbled across these in a 'Blue in Green' search ........ This, a good meal, and a fine wine, should get anybody past third base:

Reactions: CWB

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Not sure why you're impressed with the drummer in CCR. I mean, it's rock solid tempo but rather boring.
I was impressed with his enthusiasm?

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
Always felt that the best REAL musicians were found in jazz. ...... Was always fascinated by the different time signatures, and impressed by those who could play them. Not so easy to just tap your toe to a 5/4.

As a self taught, bar room hack I got to play (stumbled into) a local gig for a few months with a couple of those REAL musicians. ..... musically they were like 'black belts' and I was a 'green'. ...... In music, not being able to sight read is like not being able to read in life. You are always handicapped in that realm, as I was.

Speaking of REAL musicians, I stumbled across these in a 'Blue in Green' search ........ This, a good meal, and a fine wine, should get anybody past third base:
Deleted video to save room.

Of course, you're aware that Glen Campbell couldn't read music, aren't you?? :D

In later life I was always lucky enough to play behind guys who were FAR better musicians than I was. Had a guitar player in one band who had started out at age 19 or so as Bass player for Les Paul and ended up 20 years later as Eddie Arnold's lead player on the road, and the house band I was in when I retired had a lead man who was only slightly less talented.

Reactions: jwc007 and Jake3501

·
Registered
17,052 Posts

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
Something a little more mellow,

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Deleted video to save room.

Of course, you're aware that Glen Campbell couldn't read music, aren't you??
Yes, a rarity indeed, and certainly an extreme 'exception to the rule' ....... hard to believe one could have been a member of the 'wrecking crew' and not read. ...... Just think if he could have. ....... Perhaps why he didn't write much of his own material, and what he did write would need someone else to produce and transcribe it to paper for the other musicians.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Tuba Skinny does some really good Music

7021 - 7040 of 7088 Posts