Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No I'm not looking to make it easier for me to find your weapon just new to pistol owning and starting to search for a good safe within a budget price. So far I'm looking at the GBV2000, a small 14 lbs. finger print to place under my bed.

Asking for opinions and recommendations. I have my 24/7 Pro 9mm plus P3AT.

Would you store your ammo in the same safe? Or where would you store your ammo?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Can you let us know what a GBV2000 is?

Steelheart

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I have Stack-On safes. They aren't fire safes so they aren't heavy. However, I do have them anchored to the wall so a theif couldn't just take them. I have them inside closets. I have two 14 gun safes and one ammo safe.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
For the price, I like this one: See this thread from a few months back for a biometric fingerprint safe from Harbor Freight:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=7041.0

Now that I have learned to wait until after the first LED flash before I stick my thumb on the reader, I am having 100% thumbprint recognition.

I just got another flyer last week and it is on sale again for $129.99.

Mine is bolted to the studs in my closet.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
I'd keep a good flashlight next to your bed with a red filter so it does not ruin your night vision. Then keep mags and the gun in the safe. The filters can easily be removed if you have to clear your house but I'm of the training to let them come to you unless your family is in danger. By the way those are vary poular and certainly safe if you have kids. I use the stack on safes right now but I am looking for a fire safe here real soon.

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Mine is essentially like Second Life's, a double-stacker with 4 buttons and a 6 digit code for entry. It takes about 10 aa batteries every 3-4 years to run - if you try to move it, or break in, it starts barking about it.

I have another double stacker in my trunk, but not fire proof - it's $20 at walmart - that I keep my ccw and my Keltec in. It just has a key entry.

If I get more guns, I'm going to need another option for the house - I may buy a shotgun or an AR, and I'll be needing something much taller.

·
Registered
131 Posts
On Harbor Freight...If you get on thier mailing list you get all of thier ads mailed to you about a week early...and every other month it seems to have a 15% off coupon good for any purchase.
They also have what the call an executive safe...digital keypad with key backup that goes on sale often enough at $250 or so. looks like it will hold up to 8 rifles or you can set up shelves to hold a slew of pistols and ammo. It is next on my purchase list.
"Nuf said

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Second_Life said:

Sorry about the miss-spelling, that's what you get for 4AM posting. It's the GVB2000 by GunVault. Here's the link http://www.gunvault.com/multibiometric.nxg
Thanks, I thought that it was a Gun Vault by the number but I wasn't sure.

I use a Sentry 14 Gun safe (non-firerproof :-[) for primary gun storage along with an old lockable 4 drawer file cabinet for ammo storage. I use a DAC Sportsafe for bedroom use (for carry guns when not on me). Each vehicle has a Secure-It for occasional use.

http://www.dactec.com/store/detail23...Category=safes
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=282585&kwtid=208671 Available elsewhere

FYI, Gun Vault does make full size safes now with their same access system...
http://www.gunvault.com/55005900.nxg

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I have a digital combination safe that is about the same size as the one in the pic, I have it on the floor in my badrooom under a table, 2.5 feet from my bed... 8)

I also have a combination security box in a drawer with another handgun...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Since we are talking safes, does anybody have a Browning, thats the one I am looking at, the Medallion series it has a 90 mn/1200 degree fire rating. Problem is it weighs 930 lbs. :eek:

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Being in the basement, I have to ask.....is it waterproof as well?

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you're goin' total budget, I went with a medium sized digital safe from Harbor Freight. #93575 Usually on sell for around $30. Has a # keypad and a backup key lock. Looks much like the one in brad49201's post. Fairly quick access (although it does beep, not real stealthy) would hold 2 handguns if a shelf were added, with room for a lil ammo or extra mags. Thinkin I'll bolt it to the my bed rails.
They also have one smaller and one bigger, so there's options to fit your needs. I felt they were great for starting out. Heck, we gotta save up for that next Bull, right?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Good Flick... Thats one way to get her in the House...<:))

·
Registered
73 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
Being in the basement, I have to ask.....is it waterproof as well?
Don't think so, but no where else to put it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts