Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason my PT1911 doesn't like the JHPs, it has a hard time with Hydra Shok 230 JHP and won't feed Corbon's at all. I think some of the problem might lie with the Springfield 10 rd mag I bought, one works fine the other won't feed anything but FMJs.

So I thought this might be a good thread for other members to beware of certain ammo, I know I know, throated and polished feed ramp suppost to be no problem, but it is an issue for my PT1911...

·
Administrator
35,443 Posts
Personally, I'd send it back to have them fix it - not just put up with the problem. You paid for a 1911 that has a polished feed ramp, as well as a throat job, and it should feed just about any hollowpoint without any issue. Just my opinion, but I'd send it in and let them fix it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My father in Law and I were at the range yesterday and I had run out of Winchester 230 gr JHP's so he let me use some of his Remington's and lo and behold, three of them jammed on the feed rail the other 40 or so of the Rem's that i shot performed flawlessly though so not sure if it was just a fluke, I did have one of the Winchesters jam first time out, but out of the 100 rounds that were in the box I'd say thats acceptible

·
32,585 Posts
Folks. The magazine has a lot to do with it as well as the ramp. There are a few makers of reliable magazines out there.

In a recent Combat Handguns issue in the last few months there was a list of reliable 1911 pistol magazines, how many rounds were shot through them, and how many failures there were. Some of the higher priced usually more so called reliable makers (this included some of the custom gunsmith mags) that didn't function well in the Springfield,Colt,Kimber. or Taurus guns.

Hydra-shoks are notorious with some .45ACP pistols and will cause feed problems.

Same with other .45ACP loads. Experimentation to find a functional round that can be depended on with many different types of ammo is normally called for with a new pistol. Each pistol is a case by case basis. Even bullet length, ogive shape, overall length of cartridge, as well as headspacing can be factors in all this. Each ammo company makes ammo bullets and cartidges differently enough for this to add many factors that need considering in all this.

Sometimes magazine springs are weak or too strong as well as cleaning of the mags is necessary to keep thing running along smoothly.

So before doing anything else how about considering and taking a hard look at all the factors that could be causing the problems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Qwiks draw said:
Same with other .45ACP loads. Experimentation to find a functional round that can be depended on with many different types of ammo is normally called for with a new pistol. Each pistol is a case by case basis. Even bullet length, ogive shape, overall length of cartridge, as well as headspacing can be factors in all this. Each ammo company makes ammo bullets and cartidges differently enough for this to add many factors that need considering in all this.
Exactly why I started this thread, so we could all have a log of ammos that some PT1911 or just 1911 owners have had issues with. Whether it be the magazines or the gun. We should also list the magazine(s) that we used when the issues occured.

For me it was the Springfield 10 round blued.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The only issues I've had are with the stock magazines. They didn't cause any failures, but the followers did fail. I.E. they came out of the mag body.

Other than that, my two PT's are my go to guns for testing of my handloads as they both have fed, fired and ejected everything from 185 FP, 200 gr SWC's, all FMJ's and both Hornady 230 HP XTP and Remington 230 HP's. I do have a couple of Wilson polymer follower 8 round mags that function, but not as well as my plated Novaks with the stock springs.

The Remington 230 HP's are what surprised me as the ogive is fairly shallow and the mouth of the cavity is close to the edge of the bullet. If these feed in the gun it'll feed anything else with ease, which my PT's do.

If you're having feed issues, try a couple of Novaks or Wilsons for that matter in 7 or 8 round size. I stay away from the 10 rounders as I don't think I've seen a whole lot of success with them. Besides, I'd rather have multiple fully functional mags with fewer rounds than the larger, more finicky mags.

If the Novaks or Wilson's don't work, try Wolff extra power springs. If that doesn't work, something is off and it may need to go back for some tuning or worked on by a smith.

·
Super Moderator
21,587 Posts
try Novack they have better springs I've had nose dive problems with Taurus mags and keep them cleen mine were a mess after 200 rounds grity and full of stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Go to Brownells.com and get the Wolff 7 or 8 round magazines.
Virtually a clone of the Taurus PT1911 magazine, but with a SS follower and stronger spring.
I've put the following ammunition through it:

1. Remington 230 FMJ
2. Remington 230 JHP
3. Winchester 230 FMJ
4. Blazer Brass 230 FMJ
5. US GI 230 FMJ
6. Federal Hydrashock 230 JHP

~400 rounds total, zero FT anything on the Wolff magazines. The spring rate seems beefier than the PT1911 mags and since they're Wolff springs, the upgrade is already there!

The Taurus magazine had one "nosedive" with loading the first round, but I don't know if I'd call it a failure during operation since I press checked it and corrected the problem before holstering, firing, etc.

And as always, cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Only ammo problem I've had is hard primers on Sellier & Bellot FMJ. 2 FTFs in a box of 50, both went on second strike.

I've shot about 600 Wolf FMJ steelcase through ProMag SS mags with no problems.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Exactly why I started this thread, so we could all have a log of ammos that some PT1911 or just 1911 owners have had issues with. Whether it be the magazines or the gun. We should also list the magazine(s) that we used when the issues occured.
With so many 1911 aftermarket and other brand mags out there you can't expact every one of them to work in your 1911! If you have a feeding problem with certain ammo in a non-Taurus magazine I don't think it's a reason for other PT1911 owners to avoid that ammo (unless they use same magazines).

If we were talking about extraction issues, than yes, it makes sense to think that if your gun is unreliable with certain ammo, that it also wouldn't work with someone elses PT1911 (unless you got a lemon). IMO it would be more practical to list ammo that FTF's with stock mags, Or if you're using aftermarket then yes mention what magazine it is...

·
32,585 Posts
Agree completely with Gray_Wolf.

Too many variables as far as ammo and pistols go. Each pistol/mag combo is a case by case basis just as no two exact same cars have exactly the same performance and handling characteristics. Have to take your individual example out on the road and see how it performs to get to know it intimately.

Assumption says that all things alike should behave alike, but that's just not true in the real world. Wish it were so to a degree. Simplifies things greatly were that it so.

Here's a for instance. With ProMags for Ruger and Taurus pistols there have been the good and the bad. Can't say all Promags are crap because one type of ProMag doesn't work well with just the one model of pistol. I have other ProMags that work just fine. Those that do work well with the Ruger and Taurus pistols I have are veteran long time used mags know. Have to rebutt some things I've said earlier in print about ProMags.

The ProMags that I ordered for the used SIG P6 work well,are standing up to a lot of use, and function well. Told Taurus they should re-introduce a single stack pistol. LOL. Not my fault they didn't. LOL.

It's also been written by many of the 1911 gun gurus the fact that 1911s as a whole are or can be finicky eaters. There are some exceptions of course.

Overall some expeimentation with gun/mag/ammo combos is called for.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It has also been written, and is actual experience by many of us, that 1911s are not "finicky eaters." What you read is not necessarily what you experience, if you experience enough of it. But to get to the point of the thread, I, too, have had tremendous problems with the ammo I feed to my Taurus ss 1911. The problem is that it has and does eat every type of ammo I have fed to it. That leaves me with a real problem: feeding it. It is voracious and I am having to find more money to obtain enough "food" to feed it. Get it? The biggest problem I have is that my pistol has no reliability problems with any ammo I have put in it. I hope this doesn't destroy the original premise of this thread. Just need once in a while to walk down the path of reality. 1911s are "finicky" ammo users; really! If more people would be satisfied to buy name brand pistols, feed them commercial ammo and "righteous" hanloads, there would be fewer problems. It is an auto pistol, for goodness sakes, they are set up for standard ammo demensions and pressures. If you want to experiment, get a revolver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a new pt1911 last friday and went to the range. the first two would not even fire and about 1 out of 4 would misfire due to light strikes. I later put the light strick ftf in and most went off. w.w.230 fmj. Even the ones that fired first time had light strike . Not pleased

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
ranger351w said:
I bought a new pt1911 last friday and went to the range. the first two would not even fire and about 1 out of 4 would misfire due to light strikes. I later put the light strick ftf in and most went off. w.w.230 fmj. Even the ones that fired first time had light strike . Not pleased
Try different ammo and see what happens

·
Registered
10 Posts
ranger351w said:
Well I ended up taking the thing back to the dealer and got a different one and it works great. Hope she didn't put the other one back in the case.

MERRY XMASS

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I haven't experienced any problems with mags in any of my 3 PT1911's. The only ammo issues concern set back of the round in the case upon loading. I have had this problem with numerous WWB 230 gr. fmj. and Winchester 230 gr. SXT's. My Wilson, McCormick and the better half's Kimber mags all work well in my Tauri. Can't say the same about her Kimber. Only the factory mags work well in her pistol.

·
Super Moderator
21,587 Posts
ranger351w said:
Clean your firing pin channel with Gunscrubber a bunch of gunk will come out and lightly lube with Break Free CLP and you'll be good to go. hope that helps :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've had very good luck with perfect function, whether the ammo was ANY type of hollow point, or full metal jacket. Factory gun, factory mags. Some guns are finicky, and like a metal form type of follower(you lose one round, or you can try the new EIGHT PACK).

The PT-1911ss seems to laugh at me....load in the mag, hit the slide stop and punch holes in the paper.

I've tried federal hydra shock hp, 185gr+P magtech, federal hst, federal hst +P(don't fire many of those, man do they kick!) and i think i tried some corbons. All went off w/o a hitch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts