Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks on this board are much more knowledgeable about historic ammo prices and availability. What do you think the average prices for various calibers of ammo will be? When the Panic/Hoarding period we're in right now ends, will the historic gap between the average price of 9mm and .45acp be the same as before?

Or do you think the gap might close a little?

There is no doubt in my mind that the "new norm" WRT Ammo selling prices will be at a generally higher level than pre-Panic/Hoarding.

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
Well was down at the range today, Now these guys are not the biggest gun shop in the world but they sale in excess of 3000 weapons per year for the last many years.
they are a very well stocked store/range.
they had maybe 40-50 pistols in stock, normally well over 125 -150, they were totally out of 380, 9MM, 40 cal and 45 caliber ammunition, both new range ammo and self defense ammo, they did have about half of thier normal quantities of reloaded range ammo but only sale that to people using the range, so they can keep the range open.
The supplier of the commercial reloads has put them on notice that they can not get components and may not be able to fill any amount of orders in the near future.
SO, price seperation, I don't know but for a while i suspect that any prices will be high and honestly I don't expect them to come back down to old level, same with gasoline, the price goes sky high then when it comes down 25 cents per gallon we are happy.
On a positive note i just recieved 1000 -9MM projectiles and 1000 -45 caliber projectiles today, the UPS man is a good guy to see these days.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Here's my $ .02 -- there will always be a gap between 9mms and 45 acps. If nothing else, the cost of the materials (bigger case, bigger bullet, etc.)

The best we can hope for is that the price of both will return to the pre-panic prices. Now, after the last mad rush a few years ago, they returned to pretty much what they were before - - - at least in these parts. For example, before the rush, I was paying between $7 and $9 a box for steel-case euro 9mms for target practice, and 7x39s for less than $5. during the rush, they were ridiciulously high, when you could get them.

But when things cooled down, and the hoarders saw that the world hadn't ended, the prices came back down. For a few years, I could always buy cheap, although they were usually closer to $9 than they were to $7. Up to a few weeks ago, euro 7x39's were still $4.77 a box.

Hopefully, it will cool down again. But nothing will happen, probably, until the AWB clears Congress one way or another.

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
Here's my $ .02 -- there will always be a gap between 9mms and 45 acps. If nothing else, the cost of the materials (bigger case, bigger bullet, etc.)

The best we can hope for is that the price of both will return to the pre-panic prices. Now, after the last mad rush a few years ago, they returned to pretty much what they were before - - - at least in these parts. For example, before the rush, I was paying between $7 and $9 a box for steel-case euro 9mms for target practice, and 7x39s for less than $5. during the rush, they were ridiciulously high, when you could get them.

But when things cooled down, and the hoarders saw that the world hadn't ended, the prices came back down. For a few years, I could always buy cheap, although they were usually closer to $9 than they were to $7. Up to a few weeks ago, euro 7x39's were still $4.77 a box.

Hopefully, it will cool down again. But nothing will happen, probably, until the AWB clears Congress one way or another.
I just saw steel case Tula at Cheaper Than Dirt for $20/box. Bite me.

After the last panic they returned to normal.......so I don't know why they wouldn't do that again. It may take longer to play out this time though. It was a good 18 months last time, I think we could exceed that by a good bit. Inflation may come into play though, because I'm thinking three years out for this to return to a normal supply/demand. Why? After the second one, as prices come down, everybody will stock up. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.....

Even though I have 7000 primers, I'm worried and I am about to start buying what little I can, when I can, to stave off the deterioration in my inventory. But this is the hoarding mentality that's exacerbating the current situation.

·
Administrator
42,817 Posts
I can't give a dollars and cents answer, but ammo prices will never be what they were before the Panic/Hoarding Period. They'll only settle somewhere higher.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
30,339 Posts
Depends on what you're comparing it to.
The price of ammo in $US has gone up steeply.
The price of ammo in oz. gold has stayed pretty stable.

·
Super Moderator
36,395 Posts
Man, all I want is a few bulk packs of .22! All the walmarts around me are bare, nada, nothin', zip, not a round on the shelves that fits anything, but a shotgun. I ain't worried about centerfire, I handload, but rimfire is hurtin' me. I shoot a lot of .22.

Fortunately, I have pyrodex, a round ball mold on the way, and percussion caps. I WILL get my practice with SOMEthing. :rolleyes:

I know someone told me on a board somewhere that they had some .22 for a brief time at a Walmart in Houston. It was going for 21.95 which is only 2 bucks more than pre-hoard pricing, so I'm hoping prices settle back down when the hoarding does. But, then, I predicted Obama would lose, so whadda I know. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
I lucked up and bought 6 bricks of CCI Blazer 22 lr early last year. We go through a lot of 22 ammo during a year with our NRA and CCW Classes so 6 bricks won't last me through the year. I just hope things settle down pretty soon.

·
Registered
223 Posts
People are coming from Kentucky to north of Columbus to get ammo. Buying 9mm rounds for $16 and selling for $30 back home. They were nearly out of 22lr today....

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
Depends on what you're comparing it to.
The price of ammo in $US has gone up steeply.
The price of ammo in oz. gold has stayed pretty stable.
The price increase in ammo coincided with Sandy Hook, which happened 12/14/2012. Since then, Gold is actually down. Over a different time frame it may look different.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,339 Posts
The price increase in ammo coincided with Sandy Hook, which happened 12/14/2012. Since then, Gold is actually down. Over a different time frame it may look different.
Agreed, that is the Law of Supply and Demand - but over the longer time scale, I believe my statement will continue to hold true. My statement, in particular, addresses the belief that ammo prices will not return to what they were. I believe they will, when looking at un-inflated dollars.

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,854 Posts
I still have ammo form Y2K and about 4000 of .22 in all types. Its got to be the most important round you can have IMO.

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
well I think that time and the winding down of the so called wars will drive prices down faster than anything, at least for all you Ninja's that are interested in the 223/556 and 9MM ammo.
I agree its all about supply and demand which really dictates the price of pretty much everything.
the factories have been turning out military ammo for years now at a good clip, this over reaction just makes it harder to supply the extra demand on the system right now.
I have no explanation for the shortage of 22 LR?
I saw a guy at a local wally world ( was going to try to spend my gift card on some 22's) and he was at least 100 yeras old and told the young clerk, yep had this gun for over 50 years, only had 6 bullets in it, figured the way things are i needed to get some more 22's, of course they didn't have any!
I thought to myself , now you haven't needed ammo in 50 years but all the sudden you need it now?

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
I still have ammo form Y2K and about 4000 of .22 in all types. Its got to be the most important round you can have IMO.
especially IF you have a gun or two chambered in the 22 !---:D
IF not well marbles seem to fly best out of my slingshot.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In anticipation of getting my NIB Taurus 856 38spl, I went looking for some ammo today. The local Walmart was pretty much barren, except for some low brass shotgun shells.

Then stopped by Bass Pro Shoppes. Their shelves were basically barren of hand gun ammo also. Plenty of shotgun shells, and a fair amount of high powered rifle ammo.

Finally stopped by Green Top, a local only "big box" hunting and fishing store. In fact, just this past fall, Green Top took over the Gander Mountain building. Gander Mountain couldn't stick with Green Top and Bass Pro.

They had a fair amount (relative to other stores around here) of .38 spl and .357 mag. Customers were limited to only 2 boxes of the WWB target loads. Same went for the premium SD loads.

One caliber conspicious by it's absence was 9mm. That stuff had been almost completely cleaned out. The 50 count WWB was $25.99 plus tax.

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
One of my LGS had Magtech 45 ACP for $45 box. Really.....
well if you think about it though thats cheaper than 223/556 is going for at 1.00 -1.50 per round.
Crazy!

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
In anticipation of getting my NIB Taurus 856 38spl, I went looking for some ammo today. The local Walmart was pretty much barren, except for some low brass shotgun shells.
Then stopped by Bass Pro Shoppes. Their shelves were basically barren of hand gun ammo also. Plenty of shotgun shells, and a fair amount of high powered rifle ammo.
Finally stopped by Green Top, a local only "big box" hunting and fishing store. In fact, just this past fall, Green Top took over the Gander Mountain building. Gander Mountain couldn't stick with Green Top and Bass Pro.
They had a fair amount (relative to other stores around here) of .38 spl and .357 mag. Customers were limited to only 2 boxes of the WWB target loads. Same went for the premium SD loads.
One caliber conspicious by it's absence was 9mm. That stuff had been almost completely cleaned out. The 50 count WWB was $25.99 plus tax.
I tell you if you are looking for factory pistol ammo in almost any caliber in my parts its not out there!
I got 3 Wally Worlds, a Dicks, An Academy and about 12 independent gun shops/pawn shops within 10-12 miles of my house and they are all out of everything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.