Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide if there's something wrong with my sights or if I'm just a poor shot. :) Just about every one of my shots at 10yds lands about 3cm (inch and a quarter) left of where I aim. I've got a bunch of shot-up Dirty Birds to show for it, too - if my shots were all moved 3cm right they'd almost all be within the 9-ring. (I've attached a picture of the target I'm talking about - 12x18.) I've been comparing notes every time I get back home, checking my targets vs. that handy circular target, and it's helped - the shots have gone from left and low to just left. But today at the range I was concentrating on my pull, keeping my head up, arms straight, gun right down front, etc., and I still shot 96/100 left. One of the range officers took a look at my sights after I mentioned it to him and noted that the heine sight on the back was a smidge off-center towards the right - we're talking *maybe* 2 millimeters. I took another look at home and confirmed that sights off to the right would swing the barrel left to compensate. If my trig is right (yes, I spent half an hour with pen, paper, and calculator) a 2mm offset to the right at arm's length (63cm) would produce a 3cm drift at 10 yards and a 4.5cm (almost 2") drift at 15 yards, which is SC's CCP testing distance.

SO...all that to say, am I in denial about my shooting ability or could a sight nudged to the right actually account for my decent precision but terrible accuracy? And if it is a sight problem, should I just consciously aim a little to the right to compensate? The sights are those dovetail sights and the screw is drilled right through the middle, so I don't think I can move the sight to the left any.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
Joined
·
15,931 Posts
I believe give info on moving the sights in the dovetail. You can do a search in smithing and here and get a listing of Heine Sights.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
40,398 Posts
The screw can be loosened, and the sight drifted a little in the direction you want the shot to go.(Rear) If you are sure that is the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,329 Posts
When i first got my PT111 pro i found shots were landing to the left of where i was aiming,i adjusted the rear sights a tad and everything was landing where i wanted it but the heinie sights take a little getting used to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Orlando, you're talking about what smokewagon's suggesting, right? Loosening the screw and drifting it a tad?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
I installed Wilson 3 dot sites to replace the Heni 2 dot, like them way better because they are 'normal' or regular sites. However I still had to adjust the "front" site to the left (because the rear site still has to be held with an Allen screw) My adjustment was the front site at about 40% on the left leaving 60% on the Right (calling 50% dead center) Its now shooting correctly with the advantage of 3 dot,6 clock site picture. ( I had to go to the range with a 3 inch wood dowel and a small hammer and just keep tapping the site, take 5 shots from a table rest with sandbags, check the results tap it some more untill you get where you want it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,329 Posts
tmountjr said:
Orlando, you're talking about what smokewagon's suggesting, right? Loosening the screw and drifting it a tad?
Yes same thing Smoke suggested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Sort of but I had to drift the 'front' site because my rear site (WILSONS) is Allen screwed in and actually needs to be held in place because its not quite the same as the Heni I replaced. I admit if anyone looks close its kinda strange front site drifted over like that.
Seems like a heck of a lot of M Pros shoot left, wonder whats up with that? anybody have a guess?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
I had the same problem. I moved the front sight left a little and the rear sight right a little. That way it isn't so noticeable when you look at the gun. Mine has the dove tailed slots with a set screw to lock them in place. Shoots fine now.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top