Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Except that there was a news article that specifically said that he was initially charged with 2nd degree murder, but the prosecutors office later dropped the charges and released him. One of those news stories is wrong I guess.
Being charged gives them an excuse to hold him, otherwise, he has to be kicked loose after so many hours. Charging him means that he can be held until bond can be set.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
You can suppose all you want. You can vilify all you want. But cops don't do anything but suggest charges and present evidence. The DA makes the call and by all indications at this time he sees no crime. There have been cases south of here that it didn't get that far and the shooters gun wasn't even taken. Around here, even in the "big city" of Springfield a good shoot is a good shoot. Not much done or said after that.

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
Except that there was a news article that specifically said that he was initially charged with 2nd degree murder, but the prosecutors office later dropped the charges and released him. One of those news stories is wrong I guess.
I find it very, very hard to believe that a Reporter would be incorrect!
I mean they have all kinds of reference material to make sure they get things right!
Font Line Tool Auto part Parallel

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Journalism ain't what it used to be.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It always kills me that the "prosecutors office" shoots 1st & asks questions later. Seems they should keep the guy in custody until the "facts" emerge.
I just read the linked story and another one in their local news. Wasn't the "prosecutors office" that arrested him. The police arrested him, but the prosecutor refused to file charges. It's possible that the deceased guy didn't have a weapon, and that's why the guy who did the shooting was arrested. That's not necessarily standard policing, but it might be what they do in that city. (And cops these days aren't allowed to make major decisions, like charging, so that could be why also.) When the prosecutor was given the results of the scene investigation including witness statements, that's probably when he decided to drop it.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I just read the linked story and another one in their local news. Wasn't the "prosecutors office" that arrested him. The police arrested him, but the prosecutor refused to file charges. It's possible that the deceased guy didn't have a weapon, and that's why the guy who did the shooting was arrested. That's not necessarily standard policing, but it might be what they do in that city. (And cops these days aren't allowed to make major decisions, like charging, so that could be why also.) When the prosecutor was given the results of the scene investigation including witness statements, that's probably when he decided to drop it.
You don't need a weapon here in Missouri to warrant getting shot. Just the ability to have overwhelmingly force. I'm 67 and below average size. A 6 foot 6 30 year old threatens to kill me he's a prime candidate to get shot.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts