Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The alleged defender was delivering drugs to the pharmacy, an altercation happened with someone and the van driver shot the other guy, who died from his injuries. The van driver was initially charged with 2nd degree murder but was released and the prosecutors office dropped the charges.
Check out the comments on facebook, from friends of the alleged victim and an alleged witness to the shooting. There was also a comment about how allegedly the guys facebook profile said he was a junkie?

The facebook page is the PD's so you don't have to log onto facebook to read it.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
You don't go close to people delivering that or the armored car drivers ! I don't anyway.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
No charges but "police say they are unsure what caused the altercation".....that seems sketchy. I all in to support self defense but the lack of information usually incites the public about "cover ups".

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Must be a pretty quiet community. Only 13 homicides in 2021. Philly is up to 302 and counting. Glad to see the good guy win.

·
Registered
794 Posts
.....The van driver was initially charged with 2nd degree murder but was released and the prosecutors office dropped the charges.....
It always kills me that the "prosecutors office" shoots 1st & asks questions later. Seems they should keep the guy in custody until the "facts" emerge.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
Must be a pretty quiet community. Only 13 homicides in 2021. Philly is up to 302 and counting. Glad to see the good guy win.
hell!
thats like a weekend in Atlanta!
but good news the Mayor has another plan to fix this!

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
No charges but "police say they are unsure what caused the altercation".....that seems sketchy. I all in to support self defense but the lack of information usually incites the public about "cover ups".
I bet when it comes out that one of them said something about the others Flip Flops or Pink Hair!

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It always kills me that the "prosecutors office" shoots 1st & asks questions later. Seems they should keep the guy in custody until the "facts" emerge.
Maybe they did, which is why they released him and dropped the charges. Maybe what they should do (if the shooter is not a flight risk, does not have a criminal record, and or not a possible danger to the community) and the status of the self defense claim needs further verification is not to charge the person until the facts emerge.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Maybe they did, which is why they released him and dropped the charges. Maybe what they should do (if the shooter is not a flight risk, does not have a criminal record, and or not a possible danger to the community) and the status of the self defense claim needs further verification is not to charge the person until the facts emerge.
But my question is why do they charge him with murder before the facts emerge? I realize that charging him is not the same as convicting him but why charge him at all? If you shoot/kill someone in self defense they immediately charge you with manslaughter even though there may not be any proof that that's the case.

·
Registered
437 Posts
But my question is why do they charge him with murder before the facts emerge? I realize that charging him is not the same as convicting him but why charge him at all? If you shoot/kill someone in self defense they immediately charge you with manslaughter even though there may not be any proof that that's the case.

The first paragraph of the article:

"SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – A man arrested after a fatal shooting at a Springfield Walmart location on Wednesday has been released from custody without charges."

There were no charges from what this states. Police just don't leave someone to walk away merely because he states it is self defense. Now, mind you, we do not have to give a statement under our law. This case will still go to a grand jury for review (required by law in Texas). If a grand jury finds probable cause to believe a criminal event occurred by the shooter, he will then be charged.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Detained would be a more appropriate action (or word) under those circumstances than "arrested" would be. "Arrested" makes it sound like he is going to be charged with something that has not yet been proven.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Our prosecutor is a pretty good one here. Since you don't know the climate around here you might review your incorrect notions.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
In this case the deceased is a "former" drug addict, the shooter a pharmaceutical delivery driver who was delivering to the store.

Reactions: pegasus

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
why charge him? because cities burn and stores are looted until the facts come out. sad that putting citizens or police in jail to appease ignorant thugs over whats right and innocent until guilty. far as that goes, making innocent guilty so not to deal with them.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
Our prosecutor is a pretty good one here. Since you don't know the climate around here you might review your incorrect notions.
Ours here, is too. Of course, this is Kansas, not some big city. Our previous DA held office for something like 5 terms. I always voted for her because she never charged homeowners who shot intruders, even though her national party HATES guns. Yes, I was a one-issue voter for DA. When she stopped running, I asked one of the candidates about his thoughts regarding homeowners defending themselves, and he was supportive of self defense. He won (and has been reelected a few times) and has followed through on what he said. Unfortunately, not all do, but he has demonstrated he supports self defense.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Detained would be a more appropriate action (or word) under those circumstances than "arrested" would be. "Arrested" makes it sound like he is going to be charged with something that has not yet been proven.
That's because words have very specific meanings- especially when it comes to the law.

'Detained' means you aren't taken from the scene in handcuffs- but you aren't free to leave whenever you want either.

'Arrested' is a lot more involved- things like handcuffs and transport to a holding facility can come into play. You can be sure that the shooter was cuffed, stuffed and transported to a jail where he sat in a cell of some sort (even if it was just a monitored interrogation room) until they got the facts straight enough to know that he was on the side of the angels. (That's where the 'released without charges' part came in.)

That's the minimum you can expect if you are involved in a shooting of any sort. You will, at minimum, go to jail. They got you- and they aren't going to turn you loose until they know that you are alright. No sense in turning you loose and only to have to hunt you down (after giving you the head's up AND a head start) later if it is discovered that they need to take you in.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
That's the minimum you can expect if you are involved in a shooting of any sort. You will, at minimum, go to jail.
maybe in some places. if its a good shoot nothing should happen but a follow by a detective to give the reveiw of the findings and you are clear or not. They may not even take your gun. They took the spent brass. lol

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The first paragraph of the article:

"SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – A man arrested after a fatal shooting at a Springfield Walmart location on Wednesday has been released from custody without charges."

There were no charges from what this states. Police just don't leave someone to walk away merely because he states it is self defense. Now, mind you, we do not have to give a statement under our law. This case will still go to a grand jury for review (required by law in Texas). If a grand jury finds probable cause to believe a criminal event occurred by the shooter, he will then be charged.
Except that there was a news article that specifically said that he was initially charged with 2nd degree murder, but the prosecutors office later dropped the charges and released him. One of those news stories is wrong I guess.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In this case the deceased is a "former" drug addict, the shooter a pharmaceutical delivery driver who was delivering to the store.
And in addition, on the facebook page where a friend of the deceased said it wasn't a robbery, I know the guy and the family, please don't rush to judgement, etc. someone asked her if she was there. The person claimed to have been there and a witness to the shooting, and the comment was the guy "rushed" the driver. The person said that I would've done the same thing under the circumstances."
In addition there is ;probably some video.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts