Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem this weekend with my PT709, but it may be ammo related.
What happens is this:
I will shoot, then the gun will just go click, no boom. I then push the slide as far forward as possible, but it seemed like it was fine. Pull the trigger again, and again, nothing. Then I take out the round and there is no dent on the primer. I reload then with that round as the first one in the magazine, then it works. I got about 3 failure like this in the 25 rounds I had on me. It was PMP 115gr FMJ rounds.
I only had that 25 rounds and one magazine of my normal carry ammo. That magazine fired all. Can the problem be with the PMP ammo, or did my pistol misbehaved in any way? how can I stop it from happening again?
I must say, I never got this problem before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
not sure about the 709 but I've got a tcp738 that does the same thing. If the slightest little bit of dirt or lint gets into the firing pin it sticks. I have to be EXTREMELY vigilant about keeping in clean.

·
22,058 Posts
When you say "no dent in the primer," can we take that very literally? If the problem were hard primers, I'd expect at least some sort of noticable mark. If it's a literal case of no primer mark at all, then I'd think the issue is with the pistol. As n2deep said, it could be a dirty firing pin channel.

How many rounds do you have through this pistol? When was it last cleaned meticulously?

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ghosthorse
I have less than 500 rounds fired in this pistol, bought it new.
I clean it after every range session. I have not ever cleaned the firing pin channel before. I carried it about 4 months with one in the pipe and that round went off no problems. Therefore I have not yet looked at the firing pin channel. Thanks for the suggestion.
I thought one should not tamper with it and was told previously to not even oil there, as oil will attract dirt.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
You are correct, do not oil the firnign pin channel. But cleaning it is a different thing. Take a look at YouTube and find a video that shows how to remove the firing pin. It isn't that hard to do. I clean mine every now and then. The 709 does like to be clean and with the number of rounds you have through the gun, it is broke in by now. With that many rounds through it, you are probably over due for a cleaning. Part of my normal cleaning is to flush the firing pin channel from the breech with gun scrubber and then non-chlorinated break free. When I do take the firing pin out, the channel is usually very clean. Light strikes are usually attributed to a dirty firing pin channel. When you get it apart, clean the channel and the firing pin too, as well as the springs. I also concentrate on the extractor, flushing it, and around it, with the same checmicals.

·
Registered
24,545 Posts
Sounds like some dirt got into the firing pin channel. Clean, fluff dry, reassemble and go shoot.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Would be a good idea to polish chamber, could be wax or other build up in chamber may affect one type not another, I use JB compound every few hundred rounds.

·
22,058 Posts
Q-tips are great for cleaning a firing pin channel. Use some solvent or oil, then dry q-tips until they come out clean. Then I finish up with a quick blast of Dry Lube.

·
22,058 Posts
Would be a good idea to polish chamber, could be wax or other build up in chamber may affect one type not another, I use JB compound every few hundred rounds.
I've heard some folks say that the coating on steel-cased bullets can build up in a chamber. Don't know if it's true; I haven't seen it myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts