Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a pt111 as my first semi-auto. I absolutely love the feel, weight, trigger and look of this gun! I took it out for a break in after cleaning it and with 200 rounds of Winchester 115gr target ammo and the gun handled perfectly. I was hitting low and left but very tightly grouped. Took it out several other times since that break in without a hitch. I took my daughter with me this last time and the gun would fail to feed and the slide would not lock after firing the last round with her shooting. I chalked that up to her grip strength. However today I took the gun out and had multiple fail to feed problems with the same Winchester ammo. I have cleaned the gun after every outing. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Does this only happen with Winchester 115 grain? If so maybe your gun does not like this particular brand. I would try another brand and see what happens.

·
Registered
32,014 Posts
Here are a few things that will cause failure to feed. If the rails or sticky or not smooth, the slide may not go far enough back to both eject and allow the bolt to strip another bullet of the magazine. Often, this is either dirt or oil oil that has congealed or a combination of both.

The magazine lips are not properly tweeked preventing proper feeding.

The feed ramp is dirty or rough and needs to be polished, however, mine on my Generation 2 PT 145 was like a mirror when I got it.

An extractor that is stuck or bent and does not allow the auto groove of the cartridge to move up into the extractor will cause miss feeds.

Weak springs in the magazine or a burr or dirt in the magazine can cause a miss feed.

On a very rare occasion, there might be a little too much spring tension due to the recoil spring being too strong to allow a complete cycling....but I suspect that is a stretch.

Reactions: RalphG2

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
jbk, drop over to the Member Introduction section and introduce yourself after you get this feed issue solved. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slakev: I have put 200 rounds of 115 gr Winchester and another 100 rds of Monarch 115 grain b/4 the problem so im not sure if the ammo is it.
Jake3501: I have cleaned the pistol after each outing with Hoppes cleaning kit and I hit the rail with qtips each cleaning but I have put a drop of oil in the "firing pin spring" area every time. Is that too much and a possible cause. I also stored my mags with with a full load of ammo before the last 2 outings. Could that be a possible cause?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Does it do it with a certain mag if so the follower could be hanging up or like mine was doing the shell casing was hitting the bottom edge of the mag were it feeds I smoothed that edge with a small fine fill and spread the front top of the opening just a very little bit which caused the rounds to point upward a little more ever so slightly and cured that problem for me now it eats anything. Mark your mags and see if it's a particular one if not could be what I said on all or a ammo problem I had a Ruger that would only function right with Fiocchi and Magtech anything else it had issues with I never could figure it out and for what I payed for it I wasn't going to spend the money on a gunsmith.

Reactions: RalphG2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Failure easily remedied, but still concerning.

l purchased my PT111 today (less than 12 hours ago). Tonight we had a scare (convinent). Instead of using a longer owned-trusted firearm (my mistake), I picked up my newly purchased PT111 (going to the range tomorrow). I have both mags loaded with Federal Premium HST hollow points. Upon realization that I needed a round chambered ( both of us heard a door open). I racked the slide back. The round half chambered. Had I needed it right then? We'd be dead. Luckily, a quick smack on the back of the slide chambered the round. This is possibly due to the weapon being brand new and unoiled. Once I cleared the house, I dropped the mag and attempted to eject the round. It ended up lodged in the chamber. Like I said, I plain on lubricating and going to the range tomorrow. I will update.the round was 124 grain. My understanding is that the PT111 will fire up to 180.

·
Registered
55 Posts
All I use is Winchester for target. I polished the ramp with Mother's Gold after each cleaning and to date have never had a problem.

I store all my target magazines full.

I have 2 carry magazines (ProMag SIG Sauer P226 Magazine 9mm 15 Round Blued SIG-A1) and use Hornady Critical Duty 135 Gr +P and never had a problem with it.

Polish your ramp. I use my Dremel with a polishing wheel.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Jake and Armedpatriot covered the causes. Usually a troubled magazine is the #1 culprit. Also, oiling the firing pin spring/channel is not a good idea, but that won't cause a failure to feed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts