Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 709 last week and only had it out once so far, but I'm having a problem I wanted some help on.

When I chamber a round the next round in the magazine moves forward a bit, it is enough to notice. It is doing it with the Corbon ammo i have it in now. I don't remember if it happened with the FMJ stuff I was breaking it in with. I had one failure to feed that I figured was directly related to this. I notice it with both mags I have.

Is there anything I can do to stop it, do you think its the ammo, bum mags? Any help would be great I bought this gun as an EDC but if it won't feed reliably, I don't think it will win that title.

If you think its the Corbon ammo let me know what you guys use or what this gun is know to like.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's kind of normal for the next round to get dragged slightly...not with the 709 specifically but with semi-auto handguns in general. The round will move forward before getting tilted upwards anyway into the chamber. It's almost a head start...and is apparent on anything including glocks, 1911's, etc.

I doubt any malfs were due to this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try and post a pic tomorrow when I get a chance, there is a fairly large space. I have never seen this with any of my other guns.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Please post the picture. However, the second round moving forward slightly is normal in any semi-auto handgun, and /or rifle. It is not a malfunction in and of itself.

I would recommend your putting a couple hundred rounds of FMJ through it before trying a stubby round like Cor-Bon. The break-in will allow the feed ramp to clean itself up. You may want to look at Remington Golden Saber JHPs, as they have a more rounded feed style.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Please post the picture. However, the second round moving forward slightly is normal in any semi-auto handgun, and /or rifle. It is not a malfunction in and of itself.

I would recommend your putting a couple hundred rounds of FMJ through it before trying a stubby round like Cor-Bon. The break-in will allow the feed ramp to clean itself up. You may want to look at Remington Golden Saber JHPs, as they have a more rounded feed style.
Good advise on the Golden Sabers. I can also recommend Winchester Silvertips for the same reason. They are a little more rounded and usually feed without a hitch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys, I know Cobon was a bit snappy to start out with but it was the only good carry ammo on the shelve that day. I did put over 100 round of Blazer 115gr. FMJ through it before attempting the Corbon. Here are 2 pics I took quick. Both ammos, Corbon and Blazer. The top round it the second round in the mag after one is chambered. It seems to be worse when I rack the slide by hand, it wasn't as bad with the slide locked back and letting it fly. Both of these pics are the slide being racked by hand.
0331121731.jpg 0331121738.jpg

·
Banned
73 Posts
Looks normal to me. As top round is stripped it's going to drag the next round until the nose is stopped by the mag.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Checked couple of my mags on the 709 same thing. I have over 3500 rd down range. I use federal, Remington green box, umc, pmc monarch and of course Hornady critical defense. When it was under 2 or 300rds a few FTF or FTE would occur. Once I got a good understanding of the trigger and grips the problem is non existant. If the wife tries (which she won't anymore) she would have FTF and FTE problems. She not a all fond of the little gun. It's in my pocket holster most every day. The 709 tend to grow on you the more rounds you feed it.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tow more questions for everyone
How many rounds do you think I should shoot to break it in? Second how many hollow points should I put through it to be sure its going to eat them all the time?

I was thinking 200 and 100. Should I expect 100% perfect for my 100 rounds of carry ammo to trust it, well I already do want it to give me 100% am I expecting too much?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts