Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of picking up a used Savage 11 in .243. coyote gun, and some deer.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice Panfish

Reactions: panfish

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
Quit thinkin' about it and break out the Visa card. :D

I've never wanted a .243 same reason I never wanted a .25-06. I'll never sell my Grandpa's .257 Roberts and it'll do anything the other quarter bores and the 6mms will do. Oh, I suppose a .257 Weatherby will shoot farther, but I don't need to shoot that far. :D

The .243 has a lot of factory ammo available for it, large variety. My old .257 is a handloading proposition now days, but that's okay 'cause I inherited the old pacific dies with it. :D .243, though, is an excellent round for deer and vermin. We'll need a range report, of course. :D

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
I had a rem 6mm and a winchester 243 years and years ago. Both were fantastic rifles but I actually preferred the cheek weld of the Winchester. took many deer with them both.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I'm not familiar with that particular rifle but I have a Savage Axis and a BAR in .243. Both shoot a darned sight better than I do these days. I live down in East Texas and there isn't anything down here that the .243 can't handle.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
.243 is a damn good coyote round. Can be used on the occasional deer with the right load. I see that Browning has introduced some 60gr pills in 243 for wolves and coyotes.

I have a Savage 11/111 Trophy hunter in 7mm-08. Best rifle I own. Light, easy to handle and shoots like a champ.

Good luck with yours.

Reactions: panfish

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
Just like with the .223, you have to be aware that super light bullets like 60 grains might not give the best accuracy with a rifle's given rifling twist rate. I think most shoot a 100 grain bullet fairly well and that's what I'd pick for deer. I'm sure it'd kill a yote just as well. :D

·
Banned
2,474 Posts
.243 is a damn good coyote round. Can be used on the occasional deer with the right load. I see that Browning has introduced some 60gr pills in 243 for wolves and coyotes.

I have a Savage 11/111 Trophy hunter in 7mm-08. Best rifle I own. Light, easy to handle and shoots like a champ.

Good luck with yours.
Not sure what the deer in your area are like....But the .243 and 30-30 have probably takin around 75% of the deer in my neck of the woods.
Saying the .243 is good for the occasional deer is not really doing it justice and under selling the round:D

·
Registered
380 Posts
My Dad bought me a 243 in 1964 for my first trip to Wyoming with him for mule deer and antelope we went every year until the late 80's plus I've shot deer in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Indiana with it, it is a very good caliber for deer and antelope and my neighbor shot 3 elk with his, I want a little more rifle for elk but the 243 is a very capable round.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Good gun nice caliber good luck and enjoy them. Do you have a particular gun in mind or are you shopping around? Does it have a scope?

·
Registered
548 Posts
If you find a good deal on the Savage, take it.

In addition to all the good advice about the .243, the Savage 11/110 action is time-tested and very reliable. My favorite hunting rifle is a Savage 110L in .30-06. (Being left-handed, my choices are limited.)

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
I shoot a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag. I ordered a right handed bolt though I shoot left handed. I don't think I could coordinate a left hand rifle I've been shooting right handed rifles left side so long.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
I shoot a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag. I ordered a right handed bolt though I shoot left handed. I don't think I could coordinate a left hand rifle I've been shooting right handed rifles left side so long.
OMG ��. What could possibly take the power of a 7mm Rem Mag to kill in your area?

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
OMG ��. What could possibly take the power of a 7mm Rem Mag to kill in your area?
I bought it 25 years ago when I was planning for an elk hunt in New Mexico and my only hunting rifle was a .257 Roberts. I've hunted out in west Texas with it and shot some nice whitetail and a mulie in the New Mexico mountains at 370 yards across a canyon, but I've never shot an elk with it. Elk hunting isnt for one or two guys. Elk are huge. If you get one, you kinda need help and a pack horse or two to get it out. I could never conquer those logistics and I could never afford a guided hunt. So, the 7 sorta collects dust now days, but heck, a gun collection ain't complete without a belted magnum. :D

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
I bought it 25 years ago when I was planning for an elk hunt in New Mexico and my only hunting rifle was a .257 Roberts. I've hunted out in west Texas with it and shot some nice whitetail and a mulie in the New Mexico mountains at 370 yards across a canyon, but I've never shot an elk with it. Elk hunting isnt for one or two guys. Elk are huge. If you get one, you kinda need help and a pack horse or two to get it out. I could never conquer those logistics and I could never afford a guided hunt. So, the 7 sorta collects dust now days, but heck, a gun collection ain't complete without a belted magnum. :D

Like My daddy always says regarding simple whitetail hunting “the fun ends once you pull the trigger”.

Reactions: BigBlue
1 - 20 of 24 Posts