Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guns & Ammo Handgun August/september issue has a vary positive report onthe Taurus PT709 and the brand in general. Its a sleek single stack, single action with 3 dot sites.It was a good pro Taurus artical and gun review. I enjoyed reading it and the gun is sharp. :)

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
That might even get my mind up enough to get one more gun!! I kind of doubt it, but it is the only one that I can see that I might consider.

·
Super Moderator
21,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its vary simple and sharp looking. Plus its single action with a safety which I like the easy trigger pull.

·
32,737 Posts
Just confirmed the release month with the magazine Handguns' editor. 4th quarter or December release time.

Others already know this, but figured a confirmation wasn't a bad thing.

·
Super Moderator
21,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks its a sweet looking gun. The smallest I have is a 4"XD-9 and I'm looking for a small 9mm for pocket carry.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would avoid it for a year or so. There seems to be fewer and fewer guns getting it right the first time these days.

·
Super Moderator
21,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya i no I wish quality control could just get there crap together I can't believe they put guns out on the market that won't even fire or worse. Someone should be fired for some of the pics i've seen just here.

·
Registered
509 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Taurus make guns other companies are scared to. They have the most extensive product line of any mfg IMO. But they all had issues when they are new, and sometimes when they are old. Maybe that is why Glock refuses to change.

Anyway, they all have teething problems at first these days it seems. Ruger SR9, LCP, KelTec 3pat, Kimber with external extractors, XD's with finish issues, M&P's with mags that drop at random/firing pin breaks, .......I'm sure there are more.

·
Super Moderator
21,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've read the other thread and am glad to have Dick Metcalf along with our site. We are growing at a great speed and are picking up some real good people along the way. This is by far the most interesting and informative forum and just a great bunch of guys and gals. when I sign on I feel like I'm pulling up a bar stool at the the Cheers of the gun forums. :)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'd say more like 2nd quarter of 2009 for the 709.
I called Taurus CS today to ask about the 800 series and they're now telling me 4th quarter for that gun. I give up. I'll just play the waiting game.

·
Super Moderator
21,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 800 series looks to good to be true and I have money and a gun show this weekend its killing me I may settle for a mil pro in 9mm or .45 haven't decided yet. Both feel good and if I can find a deal I could be trouble. Plus my wife is out of state visiting relatives. Any advice on which one, does the .45 kick much more then the 9mm.

·
32,737 Posts
Funnnny 45 Forever.LOL .45ACPs have a nice push, more so than the 9mm., but nothing you couldn't handle. LOL At least that's the way my Rugers behave.LOL

Yeah, the .45ACP kicks like 220 volts of electricity direct to you, while the 9mm. is a pussycat. The 9mm. is going so fast. How fast? So fast that if misses a groundhog the bullet velocity will suck him back up out of the hole he dove down. Gives you another chance to shoot that sucker. So fast it sucks the air out of him and if you miss the hog still falls over dead.

Seiously no one has reported things being violent or like shooting magnum rounds out a scandium snubbie. That's a world of hurt if done long enough. Could bring the links on that though. LOL

As you can see folks we never have any fun and are always serious to a fault.

·
Registered
509 Posts
45 Forever said:
The 800 series looks to good to be true and I have money and a gun show this weekend its killing me I may settle for a mil pro in 9mm or .45 haven't decided yet. Both feel good and if I can find a deal I could be trouble. Plus my wife is out of state visiting relatives. Any advice on which one, does the .45 kick much more then the 9mm.
Just split the difference and go 40 cal.
45s are expensive to shoot. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
21,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have more then one 9mm and 2 1911's but I have rheumatoid arthritis and even though I can handle the recoil on the bigger 45 I just wondered if it was much greater in the smaller ones. I should also say I'm not big on +p for 45 I think the 45 is good enough as it is. I also don't want to add a 40 to my collection. I spend way to much on 9mm and 45 to add another cal.

·
Registered
509 Posts
45 Forever said:
I have more then one 9mm and 2 1911's but I have rheumatoid arthritis and even thought can handle the recoil on the bigger 45 I just wondered if it was much greater in the smaller ones. I should also say I'm not big on +p for 45 I think the 45 is good enough as it is. I also don't want to add a 40 to my collection. I spend way to much on 9mm and 45 to add another cal.
Well if that is the case, the 9mm has way less recoil, but this you know.
40Cals, have recoil, but not as bad as a 45.
With the issue, health wise that you have, shooting big heavy rounds now may hurt you later no?
I Suggest you talk to your doc, ask how much your joints can take, and work it out from there.
Maybe the time will come when you go down to a 380, I don't know but your doc can tell you how much of a pounding you can take.
Extended range time and all that has to be considered with any new firearm, you will have to take the 500 round beating of the joints to trust it.
So, who knows.

Where are you practicing your Musketry at? I go to a private range in Brush Creek.
On 50 acres, really nice place.
PSST: (Soon it will open up to the pub)

·
Super Moderator
21,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haven't got a black powder the one I had I hand made from a Hawkins kit and gave to my Father as a gift. Right now I've been shooting indoors at on Target right in the 'boro. They are building a new range in Franklin indoor that should be done in about a month. Normally I go out to owl Hollow but wished they had a better range closer.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well Eddie Barnes has a Nice Range in Brush creek.
It has a pistol course, a rifle course and he is building the shotgun range now also.
They plan on moving the IPDA shoots there.
Eddie also teaches for the CHL and does a one day class for 75 bucks.
If you want his number, just PM me.
He also teaches advanced combat classes and will rent you a firearm if you need one to shoot or try.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts