Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering did anyone chrony their Ported Taurus revolver? Is there any velocity loss?

I measured some reloads I did once (there is a thread about it in the relaoding section) and got some pretty low readings from my Raging Bull .44mag. I'd like to think it was ammo's fault and not the gun... :-\

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I was wondering about that as well. I think a bad port would only affect accuracy since it changes the harmonics of the projectile, however it should not affect velocity that much. No doubt one of the bookworms around here should have an ariticle link on the subject. (wink wink, nod, nod, nudge, nudge)

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Yo..Ace...shhhh.. :eek:... if Quiks see this post you all will have alot of homework... :rolleyes: :D :D :D...LOL

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'm not a tough teacher like Qwiks so I'll give one link. These guys are the cream of the crop when it comes to porting...they know their stuff. On top of the following article I spoke to a friend in Quantico, VA and he told me that ported firearms only lose around 5% to 8% of their muzzle velocity.

http://www.magnaport.com/hgun.html

·
Registered
69 Posts
Depends on where the ports are, how many etc. If they are only at the muzzle end it can be no worse than shortening the barrel a little bit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
With 15-20% reduction of recoil, 5-8% loss of velocity seems a small price to pay. I would guess that Gray-Wolf's problem is definately ammo related.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Gray wolf, I don't have a raging bull and I never measured my Tracker but there is a post at www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Tracker where he chrony several loads and gets 1380 on a 260gr. down to 812 on a .44 sp. this is on a 4" barrell. Might give you something to compare to. I don't see how you would lose power to the ports since they are not in barrel, but the shorter barrel would do more to effect it.

·
Registered
846 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Just remember that all the reloading manuals that state velocitis for their recipes are just an average from the test they did. And they also state that you may not get the same results from your particular gun. Same thing for the numbers on the box, they don't know what type of gun the ammo is going into they only know that its going to be for that caliber. Lots of things will affect velocity, barrel length is one. Chamber specs, temperature, altitude, what God may think of you, will the Twins win the World Series, and how the bullet was loaded will all play a factor in the velocity you get. You have to just experiment and get a consitent load, take out all the variables and constantly test to get the velocity and accuracy you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts